What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High PH with Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro?

Kit Kat

I'm trying to get away with just using Foliage Pro & Pro-Tekt in veg to keep things simple but am having an issue where the PH seems to be sitting at the 6.6-6.8 range when adding just Foliage Pro at 5ml/gal to RO water.

I've tried just RO water, as well as adding ProTekt, and ProTekt/CalMag+ to the water before adding Foliage Pro and it stubbornly remains at this high 6.6 - 6.8 level.

Is this normal? I'm growing in coco and would like this to be down around 5.8 - 6.0 but it's starting to look like I need a ph down now?

Izoc666

Hi Kit Kat.

Im currently use this Pro Tekt, Foliage Pro, and CalMag+ for my coco medium too, just like yours.

just different mix sequence from yours...naturally I add PT in the gallon first, then add FP and last CalMag+. I use RO too...it will be 6.1 pH flat. Maybe you should try the calmag+ for last ? to see the difference.

for past weeks, im still tweaking with pH...it seems like my kush plants are happy with 5.3 to 5.6 pH, i have to use GH ph down.

happy gardening and peace.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Dont think you get a accurate PH reading with the dyna grow line..
Im sure its mentioned in the Dyna grow thread somewhere..

Ive been using foliage pro in veg too with coco for 6wks now.
never bother with checking the PH.
I've not encountred any problems..

Kit Kat

Hi Izoc!

I'll try using CalMag+ last, I've either been going PT -> CalMag -> FP or FP -> CalMag -> PT and seeing if that comes in about where you're seeing it, I'd prefer to hit the proper pH without adding something unecessary.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

@azad - are you adding anything else or just going FP at 5ml/gal?

Izoc666

Hi Izoc!

I'll try using CalMag+ last, I've either been going PT -> CalMag -> FP or FP -> CalMag -> PT and seeing if that comes in about where you're seeing it, I'd prefer to hit the proper pH without adding something unecessary.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

@azad - are you adding anything else or just going FP at 5ml/gal?

I cant say if its such good idea to use PT last..and the nurtient solution wont be good....Preferably add PT first...but if you see the cloudy effect when you add PT last, then the solution isnt good. you can always tweak and learn from it :D

Kit Kat

Alright, I filled a new 5 gallon bucket with RO and did this:

√ 1.25ml/gal ProTekt - 6.25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes
√ 1.25ml/gal CalMag+ - 6.25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes
√ 5ml/gal Foliage Pro - 25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes

PH came out at 5.8 on the dot and was the same this morning. Patience is the key, I suppose? No cloudiness, and I just defoliated everything I had in veg to stop it from being so vigorous so I'll see if the new growth stays green throughout now that the ph level seems to be settled.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Im just using the FP alone at around 3-4ml per gallon,with no problems..
I even used it at a weaker strength for rooting my recent cuttings,all rooted up well as normal..

Kit Kat

That's what I was hoping to be able to do, but it kept seeming to come out at 6.6-6.8 when I'd do just 3-5ml/gal in RO water.

Izoc666

I guess you finally found the right solution that settled around 5.8 and patience is most important tool for successful grow :)

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I use tap water which comes out at like PH 7.2 ,ec 0.4. to this i add 3-4ml per gallon. no problems fingers crossed..
Ive not used my PH meter for ages,im sure if i checked my PH it would be up there like yours..

Homebrewer

Veteran
Alright, I filled a new 5 gallon bucket with RO and did this:

√ 1.25ml/gal ProTekt - 6.25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes
√ 1.25ml/gal CalMag+ - 6.25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes
√ 5ml/gal Foliage Pro - 25ml/5gal, stirred well, waited 15 minutes

PH came out at 5.8 on the dot and was the same this morning. Patience is the key, I suppose?

FWIW, I've found that using protekt and a base at roughly a 1:1 ratio puts my pH in the low 6's with RO. If I want my pH slightly lower, maybe I'll subtract 1 ml of protekt. There is a ratio that will work for you, hopefully you've found it.

Kit Kat

If you were mixing the same as I did above yours would come out in the low 6's? I'd like to eventually get this to a mix & forget without having to measure every step of the way.

Homebrewer

Veteran
If you were mixing the same as I did above yours would come out in the low 6's? I'd like to eventually get this to a mix & forget without having to measure every step of the way.

Your mix above would be lower than 6.0 for me. I also don't find a need for calmag. Only on 'water days' do I feed with a couple mls of calmag and that's just to emulate balanced tap water.

Kit Kat

I don't want to be adding calmag in either, I just want the PH to be stable for coco. I'll try one more today and just do:

√ Add 1.25ml/gal ProTekt (6.25ml/5g) - stir, wait 15 minutes
√ Add 5ml/gal Foliage Pro (25ml/5g) - stir, wait 15 minutes

If it comes between 5.5-6.2 I'll be happy as hell and can finally stop dicking around with the veg area. When doing this Homebrewer do you find your veg plants staying lush and green?

Homebrewer

Veteran
I don't want to be adding calmag in either, I just want the PH to be stable for coco. I'll try one more today and just do:

√ Add 1.25ml/gal ProTekt (6.25ml/5g) - stir, wait 15 minutes
√ Add 5ml/gal Foliage Pro (25ml/5g) - stir, wait 15 minutes

If it comes between 5.5-6.2 I'll be happy as hell and can finally stop dicking around with the veg area. When doing this Homebrewer do you find your veg plants staying lush and green?

I feed my vegging plants roughly equal parts of grow and protekt and feed at less than 1/2 tsp per gallon. My pH lands in the low 6's (that's doesn't mean yours will, experiment and see what works) and I haven't seen a yellow leaf in my garden in years (that includes 9 month old mothers).

Kit Kat

You're going much much lower than I have per recommendation.. I think I'll do that instead on this upcoming lil test, 1.25ml/gal of both PT (added first) and FP afterwards.

What PPM are you guys feeding your Vegging plants with the Foliage Pro? We have been lingering around 250-350 and they seem extremely healthy. Flowering plants are getting 500-600

Izoc666

I dont use PPM/EC meter...i guess its too complicated for me since i can read plant easily....I like to use low dose of FP, depend on the strains ~ most 5ML per gallon for flower stage thats it...this stuff is strong conceration.

the less is better, ya know.