What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5Lbs/1Kw Challenge-The Quest for 80 Zips with Galactic Grape

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the greatest things about growing is that its not just about growing the plant, but growing the grower as well.

Think about your own personal journey. I’m sure like me you smile at the thought of your first grow, and even more thinking of the taste of that first hit from that first bud that YOU grew. You’ve come a long way baby! - even if you are just starting your second go round.

Once you get the bug, there is an inevitable force of evolution in both plants and planter. Scouring the net for information, wild ass engineering projects, and Casa DePot shopping expeditions drive the learning process towards better results.

And so it goes.

Let the Madness Begin!

I’ve never been a yield first kind of guy. For me its about finding unique individuals and then forming strategies to maximize their performance. Most extra large buds suffer from many problems - potency comes to mind first. Followed by bud rot and bag appeal.

So it was with some surprise that I found a plant that makes giant buds of top shelf quality. I’ve looked at hundreds of individuals over the years and this is the first giant that has all the qualities I desire, and more importantly, can be grown within the parameters of my methods. Doing the post chop math, I was even more amazed to see that it would be theoretically possible to do a 5lb run.

A pretty crazy number I’ve never come close to before. There is only so much light to go around and its almost heretical to think about trying to pull it off.

All I know is that the mere thought gave me the biggest shit eatin grin I’ve had in years!

Here’s the Plant:

It’s phenotype number 4 of Galactic Grape from Carpe Diem Seeds. To learn more and see more pix of this plant, follow the “Galactic Grape” link in my sig below.

Here’s the Methodology:

I’m going to flower 18 topped, pruned and trained clones in an AeroFlo 36. A 1,000 watt Hortilux HPS on a light rail will max out a 5’ by 6’ footprint. To learn more about the methods I use, please follow the “Grand Doggy Purps + AeroFlo Tips n Trix” link in my sig below.

Here’s the Challenge:

Produce 5 pounds of trimmed, dried bud from a run of Galactic Grape using every trick I know under a single 1,000 watt bulb. This works out to a GPW of 2.25.

Here’s the Plan:

I will start out at Day 0 bloom and take us through weekly updates for 70 days to chop. I will document with pix as well as publishing my daily data sheets as we go.

Caveats:

I’ve never done this before. The closest I’ve come is near 4 pounds at 60 oz with a GPW of around 1.75. In addition, I would normally do a shakedown run before committing a plant I’ve only grown once in test to a production run. But hey, this is supposed to be a challenge!

The unit will get a small amount of indirect splash light from other units in the room.

I may fail. At this moment in time I give myself 50/50 odds of meeting this goal. I didn’t get to this place in my journey without crashing and burning more than once.

---
I feel so fortunate to have found this plant that I thought doing this challenge would be a worthy tribute. I haven’t seen many grows that come close to these performance numbers, and certainly none as well documented as I intend to produce. I decided to do this as a grow-a-long to give me the extra incentive and pressure to do every little thing it will take to pull this off. I started this thread in the hydro forum because doing something like this could only be accomplished using hydro/aero. Method specific techniques and discussions should make it interesting for the hydro-head crew.

In the spirit of my personal challenge, I invite you to come along with me and explore the limits of mega growth.

-AK

mowood3479

Veteran
that galactic grape looks sweet... good luck. gonna be following this closely

Last edited:

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 0 Bloom Update

Well here we go!

Here's my cover sheet:

You can see all my initial nutes and plans for the run. I will be posting data sheets weekly in the updates(simular to my other grows here) so you can see what happened and my responses.

All 18 clones were of excellent health - perfectly topped and pruned to 2 heads with 2 shoots. They are all 12-14 inches high.

Here's what they looked like 36 days ago:

Here is the unit freshly planted:

I will post a pic in a day or so after they have perked and recovered from transplant. I have left a few more leaves on than normal and lowered the light to squeeze every watt I can into them.

Your questions and comments are welcome!

-AK

Last edited:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
WOW.

I'm Glued to your thread already and you Literally just started.

Sub'd
Budelight

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are planning on modifying your feeding regime any during this challenge?

Will you be doing foliar feeding? I noticed the comment on your chart.

Are you planning on adding any extra humates?

That was a slow pitch softball for ya.

R.Fortune

loyalty7

Good Luck, Thats a hard number to hit, but then again i dont know anyone pulling 4 off a 1K.
Good Growing

gtgio

90.jpg

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-R.Fortune

I plan on PK shifting the nute profile a little. Plants in test were hogs - but those were with her 3 sisters. So I plan to sneak up on my target range over the next couple days and see how hard I can push. I will start foliar feeding tomorrow as well. I will be using a silghtly diluted mix of liquid light and saturator every other day for 2 weeks or until buds are fingertip size. Putting anything on buds bigger than this encourages rot.

------

Day 1 Bloom Update

The plants have perked and started eating and growing.

UNIT :) shot:

Clone:

Everyone has recovered and reoriented.

Thanks everyone for stopping by to witness my folly! It is an audacious plan and a crazy number, but I wouldn't share it here on a highwire if I didn't think I had a chance of making the goal.

Please check out the Galactic Grape thread in my sig. You will see why I think this is a worthy adventure.

I have extensively explained my methods in the Tips n Trix thread in my sig. If you are interested in cloning, pruning, organic tea recipies, cloner tech, a full explaination of aero nutes, trellising and training, along with a comprehensive grow show of GDP - check it out!

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-AK

d420

Good luck bro!! I can't wait to see the results. I am happy the galactic grape is getting more attention.. completely underestimated.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey aerokrafter, man thats a challenge! GL and I hope you reach your goal :). Pulling up a seat and have my ears open. Take care 1

gtgio

Hey Aero, what's the footprint of that Aeroflo 36? Do you think it'd fit inside a 4x4' tent?
edit: Just googled, it looks like it'd be just a bit too big :[

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-d420

Thanx for the great genetics! I'm going to do my best to show what they can do. I couldn't imagine trying to do this with any other plant that I have tested.

-gtgio

The unit itself is 4 x 4.5. Even if you could stuff it in a tent, it would be very difficult to reach the plants. I did one of my first aeroflo runs in a 6' cube. Even with a hole for the light to shine through from the top, the heat transfer to the res was a killer and plant maintainance was tough.

In this grow I will actually expand the footprint to 5 x 6 by trellising and training the plants. This is the only way to physically fit the buds. Each bud will have an 11"x11"x30" space to work with. At the end, I calculate the 36 buds will be packed in an array with the edge of each 5-6" diameter bud 4-5" away from those around it. Just barely enough room for airflow and light. Mind boggling to think about - can't wait to make it happen!

-AK

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't bring alot of negativity to the table normally, but there is no freaking way. If you pull 5lbs off a single 1k light I will quit growing. If you hit 2lbs I will be impressed.

Latest posts

Latest posts