What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cleaning iso oil (quick,cheap, easy)

boroboro

I checked in to this thread to see if you had already done this, as I've been curious about it also.

I haven't done it yet either, but isopropyl alcohol will separate from salt water. You could, then, wash out the chlorophyll and other undesireable junk by mixing the ISO oil in salt water, then letting the two layers separate. THC and other cannabinoids and good stuff are not directly very water soluble, so most or all of the good stuff will remain in the ISO. Let the ISO and dirty water separate, pull off the ISO layer and evaporate.

http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_isopropylalcohol.php
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Salt-Out/

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Hey, your solution is green because you let it soak for a day - that's way too long. I haven't heard of boiling the iso/trim mixture either, it's not necessary. I don't think there's a way to purify it now, but someone else might know of one. The sandy stuff at the bottom is not thc, it most likely is cystolith hairs, empty gland heads + stalks.

Wash for 1 min or less for golden results. IMO mixing your 99% iso wash with water will just dilute the mixture, and it'll take a LOT longer to evap all that water off... (70% iso is 30 % H2O)

Wash it for < 1 minute next time, and see the difference... here's how I do it.

1) Put trim in a jar and fill w/ 99% iso.

2) Shake for 30 secs to 1 min, then strain thru a kitchen sieve into a measuring cup.

3) Pour measuring cup thru a coffee filter into the evap pan, then place pan on a double boiler and evap the iso.

4) Scrape up the goodness once it is ready, and place into vial or whatever container...

This was before I got bags tho, all my trim goes to hash now... :rasta:

Peace

skunkyuk

DONT BOIL ISO of any type with or anywhere near an OPEN FLAME! I used electric hob with fans in place and a door wide open. I didnt boil it for long, as soon as i seen bubbling i turned off but left the pan on the hot hob for a day.

Right then, well iv got a pan of the green iso oil so i think il try mix a bit with salt water and see. Il report back will results if im not too SMASHED :)

Oh and, i let it sit in the iso all day (and heated it slightly) to make sure everything worth having was had, then i thought about making it more pure, as i didnt think it would go as green/black as it did (never soak it or heat it for as long usually).

And yea i read about the quick wash results AFTER i made this big final batch up lol

If anyone want to have a crack as this - this is what il do next time for sure

Grind all the trim/bud/whatever then wash it in warm/hot water (not hot but not warm just in the middle) , this will wash out most of the chlorophyl and junk you dont want. Id leave it in the water to soak for an hour as least to make sure you get most of the shite out. Heating will help no end.

Then strain/dry the washed trim as much as poss.

Add it to a pan then cover in iso for a few hours (i want as much good stuff as possble out of the trim) (this may need to be heated, left for longer, not left as long..blah blah,,,,need to experiment a bit and see whats better).

Slowly with minimal heat, evap off the iso over a few days-weeks depening on
temp. ( dont forget you dont want to vap off any thc from this expensive liquid! in my opinion anyway! why waste stuff) if you want some quick smoke, dry a small amount in a seperate place with heat!

Should be left with some pure potent ish iso oil.

Wish i washed the trim first, would have saved a fuck about tonight!

Anyway il see how it goes people il report back. Cheers for the responses ;)

skunkyuk

Cleaning iso oil (quick,cheap, easy)

Iv just used a litre of 99% iso last night.

I heated it with the plant matter so it just started to boil then turned it off. Left all day to soak.

LEft with just under a litre of very dark green oil. Still needs cleaning to remove any water soluble junk.

Now i no theres about 60 different things in weed thats gets ya high, so how many will dissolve in water? Anyone know?

Basically i want to wash this litre of green liquid in water to remove the juink. Anyone tried it?

The trim that was strained out of the liquid was washed in ice cold water, this turned the water into a brown liquid after straining the remaining plant trim?? is that normal? what is it i wonder.

Theres also a sand like powder at the bottom, looks like thc. But why wasnt if dissolved in the iso soak? this sand-like stuff is also in the green iso liquid. Added more fresh iso to this thc-sand-like stuff and its doesnt dissolve it!? neither does water!

Basically thought i want to know if i can water this greem iso liquid with water then seperate the water/iso green mix, discard the water == purer iso oil = me getting smashed tonight ;)

Anyone with more experience or knowledge want to enlighten me?

skunkyuk

whats with that post /\ lol it wasnt me

Well anyway had to go out last night so could do the salt extraction. Managed to do a test today with saturated salt water, i added 6ml s.salt water to 4ml green iso oil and mixed it well. mix turned to a honey oil colour.

After 30 mins in a clear plastic container it had formed a white precipitate!

When i added the same quantity of salt water and isopropyl (99%) alone there was no precipitate and the mix was crystal clear still!

Not sure what the white stuff is? Anyone?

Most likely salt i dont think it could be thc. or maybe some other junk, not sure if i should try smoke it it might be bad for the old lungs.

Is smoking salt bad???

skunkyuk

Pic of the precipitate.

I think the yellow stuff is thc or the junk. Dont know, but the precipitate is sticky, very sticky.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know exactly whats happened here? Mix was left at room temp for half an hour, then the precipitate powder was setled on top of the liquid (until i moved pot and it mixed about)

NotGuilty

If you want to see something neat, take 10 ml of your green iso (unevaporated). Add 10ml Toulene, or Acetone. Shake. Wait ten minutes. If no seperation occurs add ~5ml water.

Clear top layer is the good stuff, Cloudy Bottom layer gets discarded. Add 10 ml water to Clear layer, then wait ten minutes and discard water.

This is far better than a saltwater separation, however due to the Higher boiling point of toulene vacuum purge is required.

You can still try the experiment for shits and giggles. Read any MSDS first!

Naptha will also work, just make sure it evaps clean.

You must work with glass jars or steel or pyrex. no plastics.

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Pic of the precipitate.

I think the yellow stuff is thc or the junk. Dont know, but the precipitate is sticky, very sticky.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know exactly whats happened here? Mix was left at room temp for half an hour, then the precipitate powder was setled on top of the liquid (until i moved pot and it mixed about)

the yellow stuff looks like precipitate of resin extract. the good stuff. looks a lot like a highly saturated butane run.

skunkyuk

shit i smoked the powdery oil stuff in a joint. And disscarded the clear liquid. I thought it should have looked amber colour like thc? and tbh im smashed to death but i added only a small sample to a big fat one (first one of the day :) lol) so dont know how much the oil worked!

Iv got acetone, which will evap off better in the purge i would have thought. that stuff evaps in no time at room temp.

But one question.. why doesnt the thc dissolve in the acetone before i seperate??

What colour does the finish oil looked like after the full seperation?

My green oil has vaped down now so should i use more acetone? (99%) as itl be stronger concentrtion of thc?

NotGuilty

The Thc does go into the acetone that's the whole point........ that's why you are saving the acetone layer. BE SURE to test your solvent and be careful as acetone vapors are quite heavy. I have not used acetone, and would still do a vacuum purge. Search for more info on vacuum. You could simply dissolve the finished oil directly into the acetone and then proceed to washing it a few times.

On further research Acetone is miscible with water and cannot be used this way. Use Toulene, its cheap at the paint store, or any other non miscible solvent. I have done this one before and it worked. Do not use Xylene :(

You could do a BHO extraction of your finished oil also. The method with the thermos would be best. Again search for more info. Healthiest solvent IMO when done right. Unsure how much it will clean it up though... HMK comment on if it will clean it up a lil.?.?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hexane works well for that application. You can use a zip lock bag held by one corner for the sepratory funnel. Just clip off the bottom and meter out the bottom sediments with your thumb and finger.

skunkyuk

Sorry guilty i meant why doesnt the chlorophyll dissolve in the acetone/toluene aswel as the thc?

Iv been testing more today and basically what iv found is that when the salt water is added to the iso oil, it simply seperates the oil from the iso/water mix leaving you the nice oils floating on top.

I evapd the clear liquid and sticky oil seperate and found the oil to be sticky and potent, and the clear liquid left salt crystals behindon the dish.

The oil has turned to a black oil just like iso oil would do if left to evap over time.

It doesnt seem to clean the chlorophyll out like i was hoping it would, but its a quick way to get the oils out of your fresh iso oil. I just wated for the oils to seperate then scraped it all off the top of the mix, into a heated evaporating dish for 10-15 mins.

Also found the results depend on the presice amount of salt water/ iso oil - i found different amounts of each would affect how the oil seperated. 1 part iso oil to 3 parts saturated room temp salt water.

NotGuilty

Hexane is good too. I have not worked with it but plan too. It is not readily available to me.

Acetone is no good here, i fugged up.

The Chlorophyll will dissolve into the toulene/hexane. The addition of water is what really does the "cleaning". Chlorophyll and many other things would be happier in the water rather than the other solvent. Play around with how much water to solvent, and how many washes are useful. A tall skinny tube will make separations easier.

Hexane is preferred to toulene if you can find it. +1 Greywolf

"Chlorophylls: Chlorophylls are perhaps the most familiar plant pigment to most people. They are polar (water-soluble) pigments that act as electron-transporters in photosynthesis and provide green colors to plants."

from www.danforthcenter.org/taylor/teach...r resources/Plant Pigments/plant pigments.htm

skunkyuk

Right, i wouldnt advise anyone try the salt extraction.

I washed the finished oil in hot water for a few hours, and then purged it. When i heated with alu foil and ligter, it bubbled and some of it turned green while the other half went dark brown and smoldered with vaped thc.

So it seems that the oil has been affected by the salf water seperation. Iv had my little mess about now, no more trim left, in future il try the butane method, seems very pure and easy to do outside.

Iv mixed the oil with cooing oil and made some brownies and saved the rest for more cooking. Didnt like the taste or harshness of the smoked oil, and i fcking coffed and spluttered when i inhaled it still coffing today.

Im sure in a few more years people will discover a better way to extract the pure thc. I dont thinkt he iso ever leaves the thc oil, i think its always connected to the thc and other oils, so its like smoking iso fumes which will kill your lungs and hod knows what else?

Thanks for all the replies and help advice people.

boroboro

skunkyuk, thanks for the experiments and reporting on it. Maybe it's not that easy to wash the iso extract after all. The basic idea is common, though: extract into one solvent, wash with another, allow to separate, pull off the right layer and discard the rest. Could very well be harder in practice than theory, though...

Since trying the butane BHO method, I haven't had any more urges to do ISO extractions. Anyway, thanks much for reporting back on your experiment.

gamer22

do not use water wtf:laughing: 99.9 percent iso and double broil is the safest when you double broil you at first bring water to a boil then turn heat down to medium and a bowl on top of the water is where u cook the oil keep a fan close by to keep the fumes ventilating away from the cook. use a lower heat when closer to the end i use 2 on my stove and it goes up to ten never cook above 5 which is after you bring the water to a boil :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts