Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Not Germinating?

Thread Title Search
Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Not Germinating? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2018, 04:24 AM #11
Guy Brush

Guy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cooby Doo View Post

Ps. it's been two days since I moved them off the heat mat's direct heat, still keeping them at 78.8F/26C. Not a sign of life yet.
If the heat mat is the problem then it wouldn't help anymore, I reckon. Would it? Normally it takes two to three days for the seeds to crack.
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 07:59 AM #12
Shmavis

Shmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to all
If past seed pops without a heat mat were continual and successful, then I say lose the heat mat. If the plates are actual plates (not paper) then you’re likely cooking them. Even with (layers of) towels between the mat and plate. Years ago after many successful seed pops I thought the same way and tried a heat mat. My success rate went way down. In my experience it’s not necessary unless in a cold environment. I once used it with success in a basement in winter with no heat from the furnace to the basement. Even then I used paper plates. And I always put my (seeded) paper towels in a sandwich baggie.

Good luck!
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2018, 04:04 PM #13
5cooby Doo

5cooby Doo is on a distinguished road
I've always used glass plates in the past as well, with 95%+ germ rate within 4 days. I will switch to paper plates next time. I will also ditch that heat mat for good.

Would it be too late to take the seeds out, dry them, do the matchbox/sandpaper thing, and then retry?
^If it is... I might just try to cut 'em open.

Or should I count my losses and get another pack of beans? :(
5cooby Doo is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 AM #14
Guy Brush

Guy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the roughGuy Brush is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I've always used glass plates in the past as well, with 95%+ germ rate within 4 days. I will switch to paper plates next time. I will also ditch that heat mat for good.

Would it be too late to take the seeds out, dry them, do the matchbox/sandpaper thing, and then retry?

Both!
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2018, 09:35 AM #15
Shmavis

Shmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to allShmavis is a name known to all
Quote:

Well, don’t use paper plates if not using the heat mat. Sounds to me your method was fine, before adding the heat mat. 95% + strike rate on varying genetic lines is more than acceptable. Those results should bring a smile to your face — especially if they’re not your own creations.

It’s worth a try. Give them a week and if not successful, grab another pack. That is, if they’re readily available; and you think the heat mat was most likely the reason you had poor success - if nothing else, popping a new pack with your old proven method (without the heat mat) will tell you where the trouble was. Or might’ve been. You can eliminate possibilities.

And while I never have been as patient as Smoggy, I have had seed pop two + weeks out.
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

Old 01-28-2018, 05:38 PM #16
5cooby Doo

5cooby Doo is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys!

Well, I dried the beans, shook them up in a make-shift sandpaper cylinder, and put them back in my old method yesterday. 1/5 hatched already today... a tiny taproot, but life .... there IS LIFE!
5cooby Doo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.