Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Why do i always get Hermies?

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Dark Heart Nursery
Why do i always get Hermies? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM #31
MrBungle

MrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to allMrBungle is a name known to all
I believe the best way to tell if its genetic or from light stress is to observe the entire plant..
is it in spots or is it through out the entire plant? if its just a spot or 2 then its probably light leak or some other type of stress... if the plant is covered in hermie growth through out the plant.. then its probably genetics...
MrBungle is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:13 PM #32
ganjygav
Cannalise Legabis

ganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendull C. View Post
I can tell you personally light leaks cause hermies on unstable or poly hybrid genetics. True females may never produce male flowers under stress, but some genetics do it w regularity when treared to a nice dose of stress.
I grew some last year indoors. Feminised c99xblueberry. The 6 I had grew big indoors.
So I donated 2 to a friend to grow in his back yard.
Meanwhile 3 out of 4 of mine hermed and dropped pollen. The plants were really healthy looking. So I slipped and didn't inspect them properly to find the hermies in time.
This was around 3 weeks of flower which seems to be the time I get hermies with most fem seeds I've grown.
Across the road a couple of months later my friend is harvesting the 2 plants I gave him to grow in his backyard. Even with all them light leaks I mentioned earlier.

When you experience things like this it does make you question some of the old theories that everyone spreads as gospel.
With this hobby everyone has their own experiences and that's what makes it so hard to pin point causes of problems.
Fun, fun, fun

Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM #33
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irael View Post
Hey Guys, thanks for this amazing feedback

@VerdantGreen: I know that dirt cannot cause hermies, but i just wanted to point out how good i cleaned my growroom because the last run hermies as well. Otherwise i would not have cleaned it this well

But Pollen cannot cause Hermies is new to me?
So when the pistils of a female come in contact with male pollen they will not become a hermaphrodite, but pure male or what? (i´m not this well informed about Pollination^^)

Greetz
hey there,
when the pistils of a female come into contact with pollen, you will get a seed. the pollinated pistils will wither and over a few weeks you will get a seed forming.
the pollen will NOT cause the female to become hermaphrodite. it will NOT make male flowers grow on your female plant.

the only thing that pollen from a previous grow would cause is some seeds in your plants, NOT male flowers. (obviously if you get male flowers growing on a hermie plant, they might produce pollen and you will get seeds for that reason too)

more about your timer switch... you have checked that the lights come on and go off at the same time - good. now go and slowly turn the timer wheel through the full 24 hour cycle whilst watching the lights and make sure that the lights are not somehow coming on at some point during the dark cycle. it is possible that one of the little levers on a segmental timer can be pushed the wrong way and make this happen.

as for light leaks, unless they are very bad they should not cause hermies in stable genetics. plants are evolved to not be disturbed during night cycle by moonlight so they are not that sensitive.

hope that helps

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Verdantgreen's 84W LED Organic ScrOG

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab,

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen's Quarters - 187w LED organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's 63Watt LED Micro cab.

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG
VerdantGreen is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM #34
Pinball Wizard
Si non oscillas, noli tintinnare

Pinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond reputePinball Wizard has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
.. then its probably genetics...
probably California genetics

.. ..
Pinball Wizard is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 05:24 PM #35
KONY

KONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to beholdKONY is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Yep check for light leaks... like above.... sit in your flower room with lights out and eyes closed for at least 5 minutes this will give you optimal night vision... when you open your eyes the light source will be obvious...

also check timer to see if there is any schedule disruptions....

if all of that is in check, and you're still getting hermies its your genetics... I would try something different anyways if you can...
Change that 5 minutes to 15 minutes and you should be good to go. The other thing that people forget is you need to check during the dark cycle of the plants multiple separate times throughout the dark cycle.

For example recently I checked a room that runs from 5pm-5am. So mostly during the day that room should be pitch black. I checked once around 9am and found a few light leaks coming thru cracks in the ceiling. I fixed those, waited another 10-15 minutes and didnt see anything. I thought all was well.

ECSD hermied again.... so now I go back in there at 2pm and check for light leaks, and there is another light leak from above that didnt show up at 9am because the light in that room above is off from 8am-1pm.

This same sorta concept happens with outside light as well. Not as much of an issue now as the summer time, but still good to be mindful of.
KONY is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM #36
ganjygav
Cannalise Legabis

ganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud ofganjygav has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post

View Image ..View Image ..View Image
That's exactly what my hermes looked like. Moved the pot and you could see the pollen chuck out like a cloud of dust.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 PM #37
Irael

Irael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura aboutIrael has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I believe the best way to tell if its genetic or from light stress is to observe the entire plant..
is it in spots or is it through out the entire plant? if its just a spot or 2 then its probably light leak or some other type of stress... if the plant is covered in hermie growth through out the plant.. then its probably genetics...
Thats interesting! I observed all the plants right now and it seems like that the top branches of the plants grow all bananas out while the lower branches do not really have nanners or brown stigmas at all.

So does that mean we can exclude genetics as a problem and the light leaks or stress come back to talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
Nice pics Pinball! But my hermie looks completely different..there are only some nanners growing between the white pistils. But there are no open bursting pollen sacks or something like in your pictures, only nanners and some brown hairs. Some braches look like they havent been pollinated at all..only white pistils and no nanners.
And no it´s not an californian genetic, its the good old sensi star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONY View Post
Change that 5 minutes to 15 minutes and you should be good to go. The other thing that people forget is you need to check during the dark cycle of the plants multiple separate times throughout the dark cycle.
Thanks for that advise, i will check the dark period multiple times now and see if there is any light leaking trough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdantGreen View Post
hey there,
when the pistils of a female come into contact with pollen, you will get a seed. the pollinated pistils will wither and over a few weeks you will get a seed forming.
the pollen will NOT cause the female to become hermaphrodite. it will NOT make male flowers grow on your female plant.

the only thing that pollen from a previous grow would cause is some seeds in your plants, NOT male flowers. (obviously if you get male flowers growing on a hermie plant, they might produce pollen and you will get seeds for that reason too)

more about your timer switch... you have checked that the lights come on and go off at the same time - good. now go and slowly turn the timer wheel through the full 24 hour cycle whilst watching the lights and make sure that the lights are not somehow coming on at some point during the dark cycle. it is possible that one of the little levers on a segmental timer can be pushed the wrong way and make this happen.

as for light leaks, unless they are very bad they should not cause hermies in stable genetics. plants are evolved to not be disturbed during night cycle by moonlight so they are not that sensitive.
Alright thats really helping me out! Thanks alot for that reply.
So my biggest fear after the last grow was that some pollen will get stuck in some places of the growbox and will immediately pollinate the new ones.
But if in this scenario the plants will only grow seeds in the buds and do not get hermie with all the nanners like they did on me that means that it cannot come from pollen of the last grow am i right?
That would also mean that it has to come from light leaks or some sort of stress.
That is really a good piece of knowledge there

I will check the complete cycle of the lighning stage like you told me, maybe i can find a problem there.

So i also read that some people say that light leaks cannot cause hermies. I also thought of that moonlight theory, because when the moon is really bright all the outdoor plants have to hermie if they were so sensitive to light leaks.
I like that the case of pollination from pollen of the last grow is now closed thanks to the info from VerdantGreen above. That means light leaks, genetics or stress but i cannot imagine that it is genetics..

as i told you there is a massive amount of people who buys their clones there since years..i know a few of them and no strain hermied.
In the german forums there also are some threads with feedback from people who tested clones from this shop, and it is overall positive feedback.

I just dont have the time so grow from seed everytime..i can make at least one run more per year when i start with clones from a trusted shop and let them flower after 2-3 weeks.

Greetz
Irael is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 PM #38
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irael View Post
So i also read that some people say that light leaks cannot cause hermies.
Mostly outdoor growers with zero inside cultivation experience. It's not the light, it's the difference in light strength. A pinhole will cause one tiny spot to hermie on a hermie prone plant. The same plant outside with a low glow from the moon evenly hitting the plant, will most likely be just fine.

Have the same growers (running hermie genetics outdoor and saying there isn't an issue) shine a tiny LED on one spot of the plant at night (one a lot more powerful than the moon). I'd very *very* surprised if they didn't get a hermie on the sites lit up by it.
Douglas.Curtis is online now Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 PM #39
coconutcurry

coconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of lightcoconutcurry is a glorious beacon of light
"Why do i always get Hermies?"

Haven't read the whole long thread, but...
my 2 cent

It's light during night (any leak in the tent/room), it's the genetic/strain or too high temperatures or all together. One could also say it's generally a broken genetic or massive stress which causes hermies. A broken genetic is often caused by growers who pollinated a feminized plant with pollen from a regular one.

My best cannabutter recipe - enjoy!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287025
coconutcurry is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 PM #40
ganjygav
Cannalise Legabis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Mostly outdoor growers with zero inside cultivation experience. It's not the light, it's the difference in light strength. A pinhole will cause one tiny spot to hermie on a hermie prone plant. The same plant outside with a low glow from the moon evenly hitting the plant, will most likely be just fine.

Have the same growers (running hermie genetics outdoor and saying there isn't an issue) shine a tiny LED on one spot of the plant at night (one a lot more powerful than the moon). I'd very *very* surprised if they didn't get a hermie on the sites lit up by it.
I just said me and friend did exactly that. I grew inside he grew outside. My plants completely dark. His in his backyard with bright white led street lights, house lights and security lights.
I got hermes and he didn't.
Same stain from same pack of seeds infact I grew the plants I gave him fir 4 weeks in veg in my tent.