What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nice...another blow to creationism

G

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080104/ap_on_go_ot/teaching_evolution

WASHINGTON - Scientific advisers to the government emphasize in a report the importance of teaching evolution in public schools.
ADVERTISEMENT

The report by the National Academy of Sciences and its Institute of Medicine follows up on similar past publications, the last of which came out in 1999. The new document includes recently discovered evidence supporting evolution, including an important fossil find.

The report released Thursday also takes swipes at creationism and other anti-evolution views.

"Despite the lack of scientific evidence for creationist positions, some advocates continue to demand that various forms of creationism be taught together with or in place of evolution in science classes," the report says.

Evolution is a continuing topic of debate in some states. Florida officials are considering revisions in state science standards that would add the word "evolution" to the standards. The state Board of Education plans to vote on the guidelines next month.

In Texas, the state's director of science curriculum, Chris Comer, maintains she was forced to resign recently due to evolution politics. Comer said she came under pressure after forwarding an e-mail that her superiors felt made the agency appear to be biased against the instruction of intelligent design, an alternative to evolution favored by some religious conservatives.

Intelligent design holds that the universe's order and complexity are so great that evolution cannot explain it.

The Texas State Board of Education is expected to begin a review of the state science curriculum soon.

Josh Rosenau, a spokesman for the California-based National Center for Science Education, which supports the teaching of evolution, said the new report is important because the debate over evolution in school is not going away.

Casey Luskin, program officer for the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based think tank that supports teaching students about the criticism of evolution, was critical of the document.

"Students should learn about the evidence for and against evolution," he said.

The Institute of Medicine is part of the National Academy of Sciences, a private organization chartered by Congress to advise the government of scientific matters.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Creationists are crazy folks. I do not consider them much different that extremist muslims

Anyone who foolhardily believes a crazy story like that, and live their lives according to the greatest piece of fiction available ( the bible) are no better than the guy who thinks that he will get "x" amount of virgins when he becomes a martyr.

.. on a side note, I have had my share of virgins over the years, to be honest I much prefer a bit of experience

shiva das

Peace and blessings my friends...
Creationists and evolutionists.....heavy stuff. The first thing I'd say is, why all the name calling? no one is a stupid ass mother****ers....
In the defence of creationist....has anyone read, or know, of the Sumarian texts that where and are still being found around the mesopataina??
These clay tablets tell of a history that is kept from the status quo. These writings could hold our history....that we were created from the annunaki. Taking what was on earth at the time, cro-magnam man, and the "gods" or the anunnaki or as the bible calles them, the Nifilm..or traslated from hebrew as, the ones that came down form heaven. These wrttings are older then any bible...much older.
The problem is that we are only taught half truths. Most people live there whole lifes not knowing anything other then what they have been told...
It is written in the sumarian texts that after the great flood. Yes the talk of the same flood as the bible, but go into much more detail of the events before and affter the flood. The book Gilgamesh, which is an anceit story of the flood. I beileve is either a babalonian story or an sumarian story.
It is written in the texts that the "Gods" or the annunaki gave to man, after the flood, plants...splet, barley and hemp.
If you actually look at the DNA of cannabis plant you will see a plant that is not like any other plant on earth...as with the other grains.
So, all I have to say is, read more and understand more....there is more going on then we are told and that we know.......
blessings to all,
Shiva das

G

Cannabis has DNA that differs from most plants so therefore it's sacred? I dunno about that.

G

SanSemilla said:
Sorry but where did he even say that?
He didn't directly say it, but rather implied it:

"If you actually look at the DNA of cannabis plant you will see a plant that is not like any other plant on earth...as with the other grains.
So, all I have to say is, read more and understand more....there is more going on then we are told and that we know......."

Anyone who uses the bibles stories like Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, and the Tower of Babel as legitimate explanations of how the world works is deluded, to say the least.

I find it's best not to argue with creationists. You can present them with a clear explanation of unbiased science, as well as the moral shortcomings of their "holy texts," ie God endorsed rape, murder, genocide, slavery, and even pedophilia, and they'll still refuse to believe the bible is anything but 100% perfect. They'll just namedrop God and Jesus, and hope you stop chipping away at their ignorance.

DoubleJ

shiva das said:
Creationists and evolutionists.....heavy stuff. The first thing I'd say is, why all the name calling? no one is a stupid ass mother****ers....
In the defence of creationist....has anyone read, or know, of the Sumarian texts that where and are still being found around the mesopataina??
These clay tablets tell of a history that is kept from the status quo. These writings could hold our history....that we were created from the annunaki. Taking what was on earth at the time, cro-magnam man, and the "gods" or the anunnaki or as the bible calles them, the Nifilm..or traslated from hebrew as, the ones that came down form heaven. These wrttings are older then any bible...much older.
The problem is that we are only taught half truths. Most people live there whole lifes not knowing anything other then what they have been told...
It is written in the sumarian texts that after the great flood. Yes the talk of the same flood as the bible, but go into much more detail of the events before and affter the flood. The book Gilgamesh, which is an anceit story of the flood. I beileve is either a babalonian story or an sumarian story.
It is written in the texts that the "Gods" or the annunaki gave to man, after the flood, plants...splet, barley and hemp.
If you actually look at the DNA of cannabis plant you will see a plant that is not like any other plant on earth...as with the other grains.
So, all I have to say is, read more and understand more....there is more going on then we are told and that we know.......
blessings to all,
Shiva das

Interesting and all, but theres nothing to suggest that these stories are any more true than the Bible. Just an older version.

G

shiva das said:
blessings to all,
Shiva das

if cannabis was brought to earth from another planet then why do we have cannabinoid receptors in our brains? both the receptors and the thc were developed from millions of years of co-evolution

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The biblical flood story, which has nothing to do with this thread, was supposed to happen a little over 4,000 years ago. The epic of Gilgamesh, a story found in both Babylonian and Sumerian writings, happened between 500 and 1000 years earlier, and was probably the basis of the biblical flood story. BTW, there really was a flood! It was not a world-wide flood as there is only evidence in the valley of the 2 rivers(Iraq), and not anywhere else. However, it would have been considered a world wide flood,as most of the ancient civilization was concentrated in Iraq at that time. That is where the Neolithic revolution(farming and animal husbandry) started and from where all modern civilizations started.

Most of the info in the bible was handed down verbally for many generations and , like most fables or early histories, probably borrowed from many cultures and changed many times.

tWeedleDee

Im pretty sure the brain doesn't have "THC receptors". THC merely mimics some other chemical the brain produces itself. The idea that we evolved to get high off cannabis, quite frankly, makes no sense. It's a happy accident.

G

creationist here :wave:

If defending my views would do any good and not just result in arguments, I would do so.

A creationist by the name of Ken Ham has some interesting insights if you care to research for yourself.

The end is near said:
Anyone who uses the bibles stories like Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, and the Tower of Babel as legitimate explanations of how the world works is deluded, to say the least.

I find it's best not to argue with creationists. You can present them with a clear explanation of unbiased science, as well as the moral shortcomings of their "holy texts," ie God endorsed rape, murder, genocide, slavery, and even pedophilia, and they'll still refuse to believe the bible is anything but 100% perfect. They'll just namedrop God and Jesus, and hope you stop chipping away at their ignorance.

You've just generalized an entire group from a few discussions you've had with people who most likely have not conducted much research at all or even studied the subject beyond its Biblical roots. Congratulations.

If one is to say that the Bible is just a collection of stories and fables, one might first decide to research other historical texts which actually tell basically the same stories as the Bible.

In the end, there's no point in trying to convince another person that my beliefs are right and his or her beliefs are wrong or severely flawed. You believe what you want to, I'll believe what I want to, and I'll refrain from saying other people are
or
stupid ass mother****ers

Echoes

I have nothing against creationists or evolutionists, per say. They are free to believe what they want to believe. I don't feel that religious theories should be forced on anyone but I think they should be available to those who are curious as I feel the theory of evolution should be made available as well. If some people want to believe in arks, God, The Bible, Adam/Eve, etc that is fine with me. Whatever helps get them through life and makes dying easier but to force that opinion on school children is ridiculous. If a God did create everything, then he apparently created science. I believe science is merely a tool brought about to help us understand our surroundings and perhaps as a tool to help us understand our beginnings. I like to think sometimes that there is a divine being out there far more intelligent than us but not necessarily the biblical God or anything else for that matter. Elements, gravity, time, etc had to come from somewhere to start with, right? I don't know if we'll ever know the entire story but working together is way better than bickering/fighting. /ramble

Linenoise

shiva das said:
blessings to all,
Shiva das

I think you are making a reference to Zecharia Sitchin. While his books are fictional he does base his premises on some archaeological findings and theories. Personally, I fancy these notions and ideas but must also confess that a good portion of it is nothing more than pretty colored pooh. :)

G

tWeedleDee said:
Im pretty sure the brain doesn't have "THC receptors". THC merely mimics some other chemical the brain produces itself. The idea that we evolved to get high off cannabis, quite frankly, makes no sense. It's a happy accident.

uhh ya we do have receptors in our brain that respond specifically to cannabinoids and nothing else. the cannabinoids probably evolved to fit the receptors in some animals brain a long time ago before those animals evolved into humans

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Not only do humams have 2 cannabinoid receptors(CB1 and CB2), but all mammals and most reptiles(including snakes)do as well. Cannabinoids regulate all our body functions and we cannot live without them. The cannabinoids from MJ are phytocannabinoids and the cannabinoids that we make in our bodies(like Anandamine) are endocannabinoids. THC is a neuroprotector and reacts in the body in the same way that Anandamine does and at the same places. CBD is anti-convulsive. Not too sure how the other cannabinoids react in our body.

DoubleJ

What I've never understood is why belief in God and evolution seem to be mutually exclusive to many people....