What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do pro-athletes have such high salaries??

diggity

Yes, I know, this is a cannabis forum, but I guess I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this matter.

I was just glancing over the sports section in USA Today, and saw that Stephen Marbury gets paid $182,000. Now, this is Stephen Marbury, the guy is (or at least was) a good ball player, but he is no ALL-STAR anymore. If he is making $182K a GAME (which they have at least a couple games, sometimes as many as 4), what are the ALL-STARS making???? Not to mention, many of the ALL-STARS, such as Lebron James and the late but great Michael Jordan made/make most of their money in their clothing/apparel/shoe companies (Air Jordan)

Sure, the National Basketball Association earns this money, and therefore pays their players substantially well, but why are we wasting money? This money could be put to good use, but no, they want their 5 million dollar mansion, their $200,000 cars, and the list goes on and on

People all around the world are suffering from disease and famine, but we can't help them out, and instead pretend they don't exist?

This is strange world we live in :badday:

Guest423

Veteran
cause they went through school, college, and played sports....sports makes alot of money so in return the stars get alot of money since thats why people watch, go to the games, buy their gear, ect.

i didn't know it was americas problem to help disease and famine across the world, every country wants us to stay out of thier business unless ofcourse it is to help then america is cool.

but still, most athletes have their charities, and donate their own money....and alot of games and special events money goes to charities and are held for donations.

they also get together and help in natural disasters, help feed, cloth, and even buy people new houses.....most people in the nfl, nba, and mlb help out as much as they can...but in the press or on tv for the average listener the few bad apples steal all the headlines.

G

well if you think all star ball players make money...i would love to know how much all star growers make

diggity

Time2Unite said:
most people in the nfl, nba, and mlb help out as much as they can...but in the press or on tv for the average listener the few bad apples steal all the headlines.

I think that first statement is very untrue.

If a pro-athlete donated a large sum of their money to charity it would make the news.

HuffAndPuff

Because the world has gotten sissified, and we aren't allowed to have Roman -style gladiators anymore

Now THAT was entertainment! Today's 'athletes' are earning millions to kick/hit/pass some ball around. Back then, if you managed to survive fighting a lion, other gladiators, and the emperor's vote, you earned life. Best of all? these 'players' were free!!!

I know it's not 'politically correct', or whatever, but just think about it. The Romans used to flood the collesium and have naval battles in it. They did all kinds of crazy stuff with their technology... yeah it was advanced at the time, but think what kind of show we could put on today! A bunch of fat dudes in pads and helmets chasing a ball around is the best we can do? Eff that....

HuffAndPuff

Last edited:

stretchpup

Why? Because we allow it. We watch it. We eat sleep and breathe it.

We support it. We feed the industry. We pay for 10 dollar hot dogs and 10 dollar beers at games.

It's our own fault. We, Us, Our, being Americans in general.

Simple question Diggity, come on... :joint:

Some do help. Giving a little here and there. But for the most part they don't help out for shit. Enough to get their name on the list, the "green" list, the donation thanks list, and that's all.

Kinda like worldwide companies with over 100 retail stores going "green" - they get their name on the list yet only one store worldwide is actually eco-friendly... but it's enough for the public and press.

G

.............because advertisers and sponsors are willing to pay huge amounts of money in association with sporting events. Then there’s the competition to obtain the best players and all that money to play with. I think they are way over paid in relation to their true value to society….it’s just an entertainment product.

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
a person has a better chance to win the lottery than to......play high school sports, make it to a college team, then make it to a professional team. watch for the A-Rod deal with the yankees, their closing in on a 10 year deal, id be surprised if it was under 150M.

G

diggity said:

If a pro-athlete donated a large sum of their money to charity it would make the news.

every athlete is obviously his/her own person but i know for a fact that pro athletes like the manning brothers, several NBA players and other high-profile people did a whole lot of good during the katrina thing when FEMA wasn't doing squat...the manning brothers rented two planes full of shit and flew down and handed it out themselves...

tiger woods donates a ton of money to charity, he has the first tee foundation and has built school facilities for children as well...the point isn't listing all the shit but if u want to look around u will find plenty of people involved in pro sports doing a lot for people less fortunate than them...

to be certain there are bad apples in every group and guys like stephon marbury are no credit to anyone but show me any organization in business (or how about politics, whether ur in league with hugo chavez or george w it don't matter) where screw ups get to hang around and make bank? u think pro sports is the only place where idiots who have no social skills get a bunch of money thrown their way for whatever reason? (knows someone higher up, related to the boss, does a good job but is a cock, whatever) how bout the idiot CEO that got fired from merrill lynch last week and got paid millions to go?

one can debate the relative merits of the sports industry all day long but the fact of the matter is that pro sports are huge, there's a lot of money in it and the players are going to get some of it...in fact i don't even thinks its an american thing; the vast majority of american sports stars don't get anywhere near the money and endorsements as soccer players from europe...

i get pissed sometimes about all the stupid tv shows that are made and how big of a business that is but then i just turn the shit off and don't pay attention to it...that's the only message they understand...so i guess if u don't like it just turn it off, its real easy to do...

Last edited:
lol, I would be surprised of that A-rod deal is under 250 million. He wants 300 million but I think the yankees are going to meet him at 275 million. The dude still isn't hurting.

I make a ****ing hourly wage dammit.

Last edited:
G

because its expensive to kill your wife and if it dont fit you must acquit lol....

D Rock

HERBAL RELEAF PLANT A SEED START A WE
Veteran
Guys that A Rod deal is closer to 290-300 million for a 10 year deal. I think A Rod is the best player in baseball that is currently playing but no one is worth that much money to play a sport. Im a huge Yankee fan and love seeing him come back, but I think its a bit much.

Im with Brainthor I want to see what the All-Star Growers make!

Well Arod is going to lose some money with the Yankees deal since he opted out of his old contract and the Yankees owe 25 mil. to the Texas Rangers.

G

yeah i think the a-rod deal is gonna be more like 230, maybe 240...boras really pissed off the steinbrenners and all of a sudden artie moreno won't start a bidding war like boras thought he was gonna do...a rod will still get a ton of money but he would've gotten more by telling boras to take a hike and talking to the younger steinbrenners in person, imo...

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
(Gonna piss alot of folks off with this one............)

The entire world of pro sports is a total crock of shit.

Just another distraction for the sheep-like masses so they don't notice as the Corpo-Nazis bend them even further over the fence and fook their arseholes raw.

Just like TV, Hollywood, 'celebs', useless consumer gadgets and the like.

I had way more respect for players 50 years ago, when they earned normal salaries and played because they LOVED THE GAME...and that was enough.

Rocket Richard didn't need to get paid umpteen million dollars a year to be the greatest hockey player of his time.......so bugger all these modern spoiled twerps demanding hundreds of millions of dollars to play a fookin' GAME.........

Guest423

Veteran
diggity said:

i watch sports everyday, i follow sports, i play sports, i know about tons of them that donate money and do things for charity. like i said to the average listener you wouldn't catch those things. they do little quick segments on the athletes about donating and doing charity. some of them have foundations in their name.

reporters and tv would rather break down every little comment terell owens makes and turn that into an hour long show then talk about players helping out and donating.

there's players you don't even know their names that give back to their community and have foundations for cleaning up their neighborhoods and doing things for the kids.

don't hate...celebrate

diggity

After reading these comments and thinking things through, I've come to the conclusion that this thread was completely unnecessary, especially for a Cannabis Forum.

Sometimes I just get frustrated over people that make this kind of money for throwing a ball around. It's not just pro-athletes (see gas company executives)

Sorry guys, dumb thread, let it end with this quote:

Time2Unite said:
don't hate...celebrate

Peace

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Pro athletes make that kind of money because we pay to see them do stuff that we would like to do but cannot. I am old and white. I cannot slam dunk. I cannot throw an accurate pass 60 yards in the air. I can watch pro athletes do it and have funky dreams at night that it was me doing it and all the cheerleaders want to do perverted things to me.

The work life of most athletes is far shorter than in any other profession. Many, like Dick Butkus, wind up crippled and can barely walk. The lifespan of an NFL lineman is about 5 years shorter than most people. Do athletes really deserve this much money? As lonf as the fans pay money to watch the games....YES.

You have to ask yourselves this question: Does Keanu Reeves deserve $20 million per picture when the bastard cannot even act?

Athletes make the amount they're worth to the team. Names bring notoriety to a team and generate revenues of all kinds. Paying 300 million to ARod (who went to my high school) is an investment.

Although I have studied economics, I dont know much about sports economics, and its a subject with a lot of depth.

Latest posts

Latest posts