What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ripening buds

Hey guys, whats goin on? and i hope you all had a bountiful harvest.
Well i didnt. My buds are gone and smoked already but anyway, i'd like to ask a very important question that hopefully many expirimenters can judge about.

CAN I CHOP ALL OR MOST FAN LEAVES AND LEAVES THAT STICK OUT A BIT FROM THE BUD?
i would like to know this because i will do it next year for these reasons
1- full sun on buds a week before harvest will give me thicker,fatter,more potent, and more developed buds.
2- to start ripening the buds before i pick the and so the chlorophil can excape faster thru the shorter leaves and golden out the buds a bit like the coumbians did with theirs.
3- to decrease fresh bud smell a lil before i bring them in and to have a good headstart on the trimming proccess before i get em home.

SOME SETBACKS (?)
1- decrease resistance to mold becuase fan leaves absorb morning dew and rain and also work as a water runoff mechanism
2- plants will shrivel away or pull some sickness stunt on me (fan leaves needed).
3- This sounds retarde and nobody gives a shit about this. haha

WHAT ABOUT SOME OTHER METHODS?
1- carving a ring into the bottom of stalk to prevent nutrient uptake and to golden out the buds
2- split, crack, twist, or peel on stem to golden and ripen buds.
3- clip plants at bottom and put them in a pal of water (like flowers in a vase) and out on the deck or outside or sumthin for a good flush and nutrient and chlorophyl excretion.

AND A FEW MORE THINGS
1- ther might be a whole thread that i have not seen yet that provides many methods like this (wich i have only found a few extended posts or breif posts on)
2- these methods may be dangerous in 43 degree NY lattitudes.
3- somebody please post something and dont blow this thread of because its pretty important at this point and i luv to help people out and post extended responses to people new or young in growing like myself.

ANYWAY, PEACE OUT EVERYONE AND STAY HIGH.
i just hope someone can help me a bit :redface:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
no. you should leave as many leaves on as you can. IF a huge fan leaf is shading a bud then remove it. but dont trim a plant and expect it to not be stunted or to grow or ripen quickly.

but it is the last week and i have heard so much otherwise.
Many people do this tho, the point is to expose as much bud as possible and keep inter bud leaves in there bud just rip of the fan leaves. and i'm not too much worried about stunting but wilting rather. but i am sure its still very possible since its only around a week and 1/2 before chop.
I Just need lots of wind and a dry autumn.

NOBODY HAS CONCERNS?

Bob Jones

Personally, I'm still harvesting, spent 8 hours yesterday trimming and have most of a plant left to go. I probably harvested enough this year to least me for at least 5 years of smoking.

The secret of my success? I believe the plant probably knows how to grow, leave it the hell alone. Provide it with water, nutrients and sun and let the plant do what it does best, grow!

A few of my plants did get topped because they were Thai strains and would have been 20' tall and my greenhouse is only 12', that's all the intervention I did to the plants' natural growth cycle.

Focus on sun, soil and water, that's your end of growing. Let the plant take care of managing it's leaves.