What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

amendments for enhanced smell-n-taste

the gnome

Veteran
what are you guys using to enhance smell and taste if anything?
I read bat guano was used by some folks

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
These aren't amendments but I am trying companion planting Rosemary in one flower pot and Garlic in another. I have heard that builds up taste so we shall see.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I keep my boron & sulfur nice & high, & the K as high as I can till it messes with N or Mg. Crabshell, alfalfa, some kind of protein hydrolysate, and kelp meal are must-haves in my soil for flavor & resin. I never thought that guano added anything special to my flowers. Ful Power (or any Bio ag humic product really) & Great white (oregonism XL or myco madness are great too) are straight organic cheating, but who's the referee?? :D

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't go crazy on the boron. Too much has an adverse effect on soil and can actually make it toxic. That aside, mineral content, is primarily going to have the largest impact on "flavor". Sulfur has to be kept in balance with your Ca levels. Too much sulfur and you can reduce pH to a point that is undesirable.

Every time this conversation comes up, it seems I have to remind people that "flavor" is really a discussion about terpenes. The question you are really asking is how to increase terpene content.

This then leads into a discussion about if it is simply a matter of maximizing genetic potential or is there a way to increase SPECIFIC terpenes in order to produce a desired "flavor".

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Jbomber79

Veteran
Bone meal and teas is what I use and bat guano I'm super interested in this terp profile and smell seem to go hand in hand

amanda88

I dunno what u smoke but I prefer the trics, often attached to canna leaves

the trics carry terpines that is what you actually smell and taste

other than manipulating the genes on say a breeding program little can be done

to enhance flavour/terpes other than spraying cooking flavours extracts

over your drying bud, of which I don't recommend

carson

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the previous posters. I think nutrients, environment, drying, curing can all have major effects on the flavor/terpene production/content.

M

meowmeowmeow

I agree with Dank Frank. I've used Terpinator in the past and have seen a drastic increase in the terpene profiles in both strains grown. Definitely the good side where as I have made the mistake of using extremely salty nutes and had mad salt build up.

Picarus

meowmeowmeow,
How did you quantify a huge increase in terpene profiles? What where the lab tests previous to using terpinator and what was the increase?

rykus

Terpenator is derived from sulfur no? ... Yeah, I like the organic way like Dank Frank was saying... Keep you Micro and trace high and your soil pumpin, mmmm

Hydro I'd probably buy some of the BS , overdrive massive and terpenator would be my combo probably....

the gnome

Veteran
nope, none in the mix Mo...
but now that ya mention it i do have a couple big bags in the garden shed
what's gypsum do for the plants?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
It's calcium sulphate, so the sulphur makes smell stronger and more complex in my experience. Or helps the plants to reach closer to their genetic potential as peeps explained above!

After I added it I definitely noticed a difference even in veg!

the gnome

Veteran
that's why I love this place :good:
so I imagine most sources of sulfur then would do the trick?
I'm about a week away from harvest, would there be any benefit adding it now,
like make a slurry of it and water it in... ?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
organic ...yeehaw....ej works great for a bottle nute...other than that organic soil...whatever does it is in there....I do add Epsom salts too...cant say what helps exactly but I aint complaining

Granger2

Veteran
Yeah if you get micronized Gypsum, that's best, but a good fine grind works well too. Gypsum is soluble, though not highly. Last crop I had it in my coco from start, then topdressed 1T in a 3 gal Aerobag about 3 weeks before harvest. Didn't do a side by side, but it was some sweet stuff. Gypsum pH 7.0. Calcium sulphate. I plan on using it on upcoming crop.

Also, last crop, I raised my 600w HPS's higher than usual. I think it helped on terpene evaporation. I ran them at least 30" above canopy. Some plants 36". Good luck. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
great info G,
what was the initial app rate to 3gal coco...?
Tbsp/gal?
the more i read up on gypsum the more I'm liking it... good stuff :joint:

M

meowmeowmeow

meowmeowmeow,
How did you quantify a huge increase in terpene profiles? What where the lab tests previous to using terpinator and what was the increase?

Yes and I'll share the results with everyone, but you. :moon:

Good thread....don't mean to kill it.

Picarus

Gnome,
Guano also is high in sulfur and a great top feed to get the sulphur especially later in flower.

Meow(x3),
What's the problem? Just wondering if you actual data to back your claim. I am not aware of a side by side with and without terpinator, and your results could change that. Info here is to help the greater community right? Product claims are unfounded without proof.

Latest posts

Latest posts