What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ProMIX VS Sunshine Mix #4

ProfGerbik

Why exactly is soil better for you than hydro in the hot summer weather? Your reservoir gets too hot?

:dance013: Exactly, think of all those people out there with un-chillable hydro systems, good for growing pythium though

not trying to start anything.. really not, but ive grown in hydro for over 7 years and never once needed to use a chiller, maybe because i use a recirculating system that helped a little but even in my dwc bubbler i never needed one. unless you are growing hydro outside, in a green house with no ventilation or never turn the AC on in your home then i could see you needing a chiller which ive yet to see anyone really use hydro outside...

ProfGerbik

i love ffof. my first time growing in soil but my plants literally have been growing just as fast in this ffof with these smart pots as they have in all my hydro setups.

im starting to love soil more for its simplicity and more natural feel, a lot less cleaning also. res always gets so gunky and is a pain in the ass to clean and stresses your plants out while doing so.

i been interested in trying these two but i might just stick with ffof. sorry to be off topic but somehow the topic of growin hydro got in here so i figured id add to it lol.

flyer

not trying to start anything.. really not, but ive grown in hydro for over 7 years and never once needed to use a chiller, maybe because i use a recirculating system that helped a little but even in my dwc bubbler i never needed one. unless you are growing hydro outside, in a green house with no ventilation or never turn the AC on in your home then i could see you needing a chiller which ive yet to see anyone really use hydro outside...

its all good, my room right now with only 4 1k is about 95+ degree. thats with inline fans and cooltube. my last crop came out airy due to hot temperature and maybe my lack of love. i also do not have AC in room. my rez is not boiling hot but water is just warmer than i want it to be. im thinking of moving soon + hot temp + moving my hydro kit = cheap soil set up.
hydro is my way to grow, hands down. but soil is easier and cheaper. also like you mention, do not have to clean rez, all buckets, all tubes, etc. just throw a few extra buckets in there to make up for the weight and water every day. simple.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
ProMIX VS Sunshine Mix #4

Easy:

ProMix
is a more of "carrier" growing medium. Not much nutrients in it, you have to add what you want to use which I prefer.
ProMix BX has 15% Perlite in it
ProMix HP has 30% Perlite in it
Contains Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, macro nutrients and micro-nutrients, limestone (for ph adjustment) and wetting agents making is suitable for indoor or outdoor potting.
Available in 55 Cu. Ft. Comp., 80 Cu. Ft. Loose, 70 Cu. Ft. Loose, 3.8 Cu. Ft. Comp. and 2.8 Cu. Ft. Loose.

Sunshine Mix #4
has Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, starter nutrient charge (with Gypsum) and dolomite limestone.
Available in 110 cu ft; loosefill totes; 55 cu ft; 3.8 cu ft; 2.8 cu ft loosefill.

I have used both.

Now use ProMix only.

Greenlife1

Yeah like everyone esle says they are almnost the same.
I use the HP now since it has more perlite in it. Also its cheaper than the SS#4.
Both work great though.
I always add more mycro to my mix.. defiantly helps with freshly transplanted cuts.

flyer

Easy:

ProMix
is a more of "carrier" growing medium. Not much nutrients in it, you have to add what you want to use which I prefer.
ProMix BX has 15% Perlite in it
ProMix HP has 30% Perlite in it
Contains Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, macro nutrients and micro-nutrients, limestone (for ph adjustment) and wetting agents making is suitable for indoor or outdoor potting.
Available in 55 Cu. Ft. Comp., 80 Cu. Ft. Loose, 70 Cu. Ft. Loose, 3.8 Cu. Ft. Comp. and 2.8 Cu. Ft. Loose.

Sunshine Mix #4
has Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, starter nutrient charge (with Gypsum) and dolomite limestone.
Available in 110 cu ft; loosefill totes; 55 cu ft; 3.8 cu ft; 2.8 cu ft loosefill.

I have used both.

Now use ProMix only.

thank you.. this info helps! :thank you:
do you also know the difference with sunshine mix #4 advance mix and aggregate plus ?

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
the advanced line is coco based instead of peat based
aggregate plus has extra large perlite

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
P.S. there is a #4 in both peat based (original line) and Advanced (coco line)

the same company makes Metro Mix brand products too

Bcuzz mix is decent shit ...

Bcuzz mix is decent shit ...

promix,ssm#4 are soil less mixes...........I prefer B'cuzz hydro mix........all you have to do is top feed with these.......so easy...........
:wave:

Bcuzz seems more finely ground with less sticks and twigs... Peace homies !!
picture.php

That's the bcuzz hydro mix ... It's some peat base shit works decent! Peace homies !!

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
I generally hand water these days, and am pretty small time. I buy whichever is cheapest, which is usually Pro-Mix Bx.