What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2008 Oregon Guerrilla Outdoor Adventure, with your host BACKCOUNTRY

Hey Backcountry, Good luck with everything this year. Thanks for taking the time to document your grows so people like me can learn from your experience. I'll be following closely...

Bugg

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
For my main grows I'll use a huge ammount of llamma manure, Kelp meal, Dolomite lime, and Super Phosphate. I'll also periodicly give side feedings of High N Guano through the summer, and high P Guano through the blooming season.
Since I'll be getting my plants out later this year, it will give a chance to get out and pre-dig and fill my holes, this way they will mellow get the soil nice and lively befor the plants arive late in May.

My stand alone grows will recieve a small ammount of Osomocote and Dolomite lime at planting, and thats about it.

Last edited:

diggity

Hey BACKCOUNTRY, awesome first post.. those "local hills" look amazing man. I'm gonna explore some in Oregon this summer, cannot wait.

peace

Shlomo

Thanks BC. Just curious, for the guano, do you usually make a tea or do you just sprinkle the top dry?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I'll make a quick tea(no areation) or I'll just sprinkle it onto the soil around the drip line of the plant, and work it into the soil carefully with my fingers. During the next few waterings, it will soak down into the soil.

Shlomo

Nice, nice - thanks for the details. This year I was thinking about some high P guano and molasses in a site tea for finishing, and if guano works for you, then yadda yadda.

How about that PNW this year? I'm looking at late May also, and I might have to camp a night to do a temperature check in the mountains I like (49N). We had a shitload of SNOW last week at SEA LEVEL on Vancouver Island.

green-genes77

Veteran
I'll chime in on the Bat Guano as well to say that it is the stuff. It's so lightweight that I rarely bother making a tea. Scratching it into the surface of the soil will feed for a couple of weeks generally. Approximately half of it will be water soluble which means your babies will get a nice initial jolt followed by a slower input as the insoluble nitrogen breaks down. I love it.

Here's a nice view:

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Great pic green!

We are predicted to have snow down to 2000'-2500' in a few days, LOL!! But it won't be near as cold. Lots of sun and warmish days lately, my seedlings have all put on more size.....

At the rate things are going, it will be about 2 weeks before my larger seedlings are large enough to start force flowering to tell sex, and from experience, it will take about 2 weeks for them to positively tell sex.
So it may be towards the end of May before I get out, it will be many weeks later than I have ever gotten out before.

I am seroiusly considering putting out 2 seedlings in each hole sooner, talking cuts when they are big enough, sexing the cuts, and then cutting the males. I suppose if I get 2 females per hole, I'll cut clones from the smaller one, and then kill it to make room for the larger.
If I get 2 males in a hole, I'll put a God bud clone in their place.

Just some thoughts for another upsidedown and inside out season, LOL!!

Last edited:

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
BC said:
I am sure most know me.....
Sure we do.
And we just love u getting started.

Hmm...Sorry to hear about your earli losses, but I´m sure we´ll not notice in autumn

Best luck bro

Paddi

PS: Growing from beans is fun....never done anything else

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Paddi- Yeah, I prefer it over clones simply because it doen't require me to keep lights going inside 365 days a year. I just tend to breed clones I get to my personal varieties, and thats it.

Seedlings are lots of fun, I enjoy watching them grow like children, I am also happy with the vigor they typically display, easily outpacing the(non-cannabis) plants around them.

fatbob166

BC-
Can't wait to see this evolve. We live in similar climates, and this year will be my first real go at organics outdoor. I'm just thankful that I don't have cougars, and the snakes around here.....good luck!

G

hej BC
im in, good luck in '08!

BACKCOUNTRY said:
And a picture of the local hills
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_031_Medium_.jpg
K+++++++++++

guest3589

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Paddi- Yeah, I prefer it over clones simply because it doen't require me to keep lights going inside 365 days a year. I just tend to breed clones I get to my personal varieties, and thats it.

Seedlings are lots of fun, I enjoy watching them grow like children, I am also happy with the vigor they typically display, easily outpacing the(non-cannabis) plants around them.

Nice BC, this is what I do with quality clones as well. I much prefer sowing the seeds....
:rasta:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Thanks guys!

Expertsetup- I'm pretty excited to see how the Trainwreck crosses come out, the cross made with my OR95 x C99 should be a real winner. The seeds were very quick to pop, and the plants seem to do well, even though they have been pretty cool temp wise until lately. I'm thinking they will be fast growers, and if they follow in their parents foot steps, they should have very tasty and potent buds.

My first outdoor test of my C99 x OR95 was a hit last year, and I think the trainwreck will only make the cross that much better.

We are predicted to have lots of temps in the mid 60s-mid 70s, so I am thinking my plants will grow real fast now, I took a gander at the first wave seedlings in the Cold frame(a type of small green house) last night, and they were noticably beefer than 2 days before, and putting on some side branches, I should be able to start force flowering to sex soon.

Temps predicted to be 70+ starting sometime this weekend, even just temps aproaching 65 helps alot, but 70 degree weather is nice!

Last edited:
S

socioecologist

Weather's looking great the next week or so, hope things start to take off for you, BC. I got a C99 in the ground yesterday, and will have a big MVTF in as soon as coco is back in stock in my valley. C99 and my unfailing side-kick.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Looking great Backcountry!! Can't wait to see the season come together and I wish you luck from another native.

C99 x OR95 yum......

guest3589

BC it sounds like your season is really going to take off for you now. It's just so exciting to watch how the crosses develop, it's like they are rewarding us for helping them procreate.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Here a few of the first wave seedlings-
7710Seedlings_May_5_2008_002_Small_.jpg

They are growing by leaps and bounds in the fine weather we are having, I'll probably start sexing them this week by keeping them in a box for all but 10-12 hours of the day. Hopefully in the a couple weeks I'll have a handfull of females to place in my higher investment grows.

The winter-like weather seems to be done, its dumped us out suddenly into normal May weather, highs always over 65F, with many going well over 70F, even the cloudy days are warm. I planted my first Tomato today, and Potatoes and more Tomatoes will follow.

G

guest123

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I just remembered....I did see a spot that looked promising for a auto-irrigated plot, but it was at the end of the trip and I had no energy for more exploration. It was on a southfacing ridge line covered with Madrone trees, water to fill my resivours would be available year round, but I'd have to pipe it a ways. The nice thing is that its in a roadless area, and very quiet, with no beer cans, so maybe hunters don't visit often. I'll go check it out more next week.
----------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pics I took on my walk today:

These are called "Fairy slippers", they are the local native member of the Orchid family, one of my favorite wild flowers, they only grow in tall stands of Doulas fir trees in mid-spring.
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_010_Small_.jpg

I'm not sure what this bush is called
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_019_Small_.jpg

One of many Ticks I flicked off my pants while hiking today
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_015_Small_.jpg

Here is a pic of the Couger killed Deer I came across
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_024_Small_.jpg

And a picture of the local hills
7710Nature_walk_4-23-08_031_Medium_.jpg
hey bc , good to see u back at it ...
those fairy slippers are lovely arent they ??
hey those ticks look like the ones we get here , what do they call them? and are they paralysis ticks?? im not a fan of ticks , specially the small nymph ones that burrow in and u can barely see them ...
that pic of the hills ,, is the small hill in the middle of the shot at the back a volcano?? kinda looks like a small one the shape of it ,,, would be some nice soil around there if that was the case ???