What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filter not working when I add a second light

ChenBenTz

My carbon filter and fan are perfectly capable of replacing the air in my grow room every 3 minutes and everything is fine with one 1000w light.

When I add a second one, even with an AC working and keeping the temps and humidity to the same point, the filter just doesn't work and I keep getting an odor outside the room.

Everything is fine at night when the lights are off, so I guess it has to be related to heat, but I don't see how that's possible.

Appreciate the help.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Carbon filter not working usually means one of a few things. Too humid. Air is moving too fast for filter to get job done. Or room or reflectors have enough of a leak to let out the stink.

DJXX

Veteran
how old is the filter can...i replaced the activated carbon in mine...cost bout $5 and i have enuff stuff to replace it another 6 times..they are easy to take apart and the activated carbon i bought on ebay cheap,,,if its a new filter then you may have to get a bigger fan and can>>DJXX

ChenBenTz

I have sealed the room and only allow air from a small number of areas and the negative pressure in there is very high, so the only option that seems likely is that it's too humid.

But I have my AC in there working, cooling everything down pretty low. If I turn it down further the water in my hydro container will go below 22C which is where I want to keep it.

The filter is 11 months old.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Optimum air exchange is twice per minute, once per minute typically reccomended. You are at air exchange every 3 minutes...Ideal reservior temps are ~63-65F or 17.22 - 18.33 Celsius and will alow water to hold more oxygen as well as reduce harmful bacteria growth in reservior, your current reservior temps are on the razor edge of allowing pythium/root rot etc growth to thrive.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Koondense has a very valid thought here, I would look for leaks in the ventilation. ;) Also, did you increase watts per square foot, or did you add a second light and additional plants?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I listed all these 5 minutes after he posted minus the big explainations. Minus the old filter. I guess I assumed that he knew if it was new or not.

ChenBenTz

Could be a faulty hood which leaks when heated.

The carbon filter is pretty far from the lights, on the ceiling and I've checked for leaks.

Optimum air exchange is twice per minute, once per minute typically reccomended. You are at air exchange every 3 minutes...Ideal reservior temps are ~63-65F or 17.22 - 18.33 Celsius and will alow water to hold more oxygen as well as reduce harmful bacteria growth in reservior, your current reservior temps are on the razor edge of allowing pythium/root rot etc growth to thrive.

I had it wrong. The room size changed, so it's 1.5 minutes now, not 3.

Can you source the reservoir temp? Because everywhere else I've looked 20C is the minimum recommended.

Most places I've found say things to the tune of "the optimum water temperature for your hydroponic systems is between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 22 Celsius)."

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
You got it right, best nutrient absorption happens in solution at ~22C/72F it just comes with increased risk for issues as well.

Koondense

Veteran
The carbon filter is pretty far from the lights, on the ceiling and I've checked for leaks.

I meant the light fixture, it's probably metallic and there could be dilatations going on inside the fixture when the light is on. Can happen if it was dropped or damaged otherwise.
It's just a theory.
Also check where the cable enters the light fixture.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts