What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600W soil grow: Sweet Tooth #3 and AK48 F2 round 2

blackone

Veteran
I just harvested my first swt #3 and AK48 grow so now I'm going for a second round. I have 14 plants I took as clones 8 weeks ago when I started flowering. The original plan was to use those as mothers and take clones for the next grow but because I had some delivery problems I didn't get new pots fast enough so they didn't get large enough for me to take enough clones fast enough. Therefore I'll be flowering them as they are and take clones again. I'm not sure if this is gonna be my last run with swt #3 - the yield has been disappointing but there were also things that went wrong: I had a massive thrips infection that affected yield a lot, and some of the clones were not ready for flowering when I hit the switch. This time I have fewer but larger plants, and I'll also be vegging for at least a week to make sure the plants and root system will be ready. My guest star this round is a single skunk #1 plant from seed. In my last round I also had a skunk #1 but it turned out male - I'm hoping for a female this time:)
You might see some Satori plants enter the room at some point but it's mostly gonna be for sexing as I'll be taking clones for a smaller grow with a 250W hps.

I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
My veggies.
I'm not sure when I'll hit the flower switch, but definitely not yet. From my last grow I know that sweet tooth likes her vegging time.

blackone

Veteran
Forgot to mention: I started taking clones yesterday, and I'll be taking more every day as I prune the lower growth. I still haven't made up my mind if this is gonna be my last sweet tooth run because my last grow was so horrible, but I know that I can do a lot of things better this time so maybe it could still turn out to be an ok strain. I'm really looking for something that will grow nicely in a SOG from a well rooted clone with only a few days veg because I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time and power vegging under the big light. I got some Satori seedlings in my vegging cab and if the veg of these babies go past the 14 day mark then those will also be flowered here.

Last edited:
G

guest101

Usually, if a pheno gives me the impression its not very good, i cut him and dont keep him! No second chance...
If its good in normal condicions, it may be great in excel condicions...
Bad to great is kinda difficult!
Veg them more, trimm them more on the bottom when they are bigger...
Good luck with you babies!!! :D

PS- Hows the mini 250 cab man?? :lurk:

Last edited:

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Blackone - I'm currently growing some Sweet Tooth from Barney's Farm - any Sweet Tooth tips? Any special phenos I should look out for? I checked out your harvest photos, looks like some really great bud - how does it smoke? :wave:

blackone

Veteran
I had some issues affecting my smallest plants - the leaf tips were getting burned and the leaves curled up and dried out. MynameStitch has been on the case and thinks it's a nutrient burn, since I had pretty hot runoff.
They all seem to be doing a lot better now though, so it probably won't be long before I flower. I might get some pics up tonight when I water.

blackone

Veteran
Sammet said:
Hey Blackone - I'm currently growing some Sweet Tooth from Barney's Farm - any Sweet Tooth tips? Any special phenos I should look out for? I checked out your harvest photos, looks like some really great bud - how does it smoke? :wave:

I don't really know fi I can give you any tips since you're growing Barney's sweet tooth. I don't know if that's an F2 of the original?
But if it's anything like mine then it requires some veg before flowering - newly rooted clones haven't been very successful for me.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
havent been successful?

not only the genetics but no matter what you could stick AT LEAST another row in there unless u really plan on bushing em out with an extended veg. if yer thinkin s.o.g. then definitely pack more in! 600 in a reflective area like that can do it no problem if those pots are the size i think they are... how many inches do they measure on a diagnal at the opening? be well :wave:

blackone

Veteran
They're 19 cm pots, 6.5L. My goal is to cover an area of approx. 1m*1.2m. I'm not quite sure how much they'll stretch so I might veg it for longer if they don't grow much in the next 2 or 3 days. I want to get some more cuttings first too and I'm waiting for the bottom shoots that I'll trim off anyway to develop.
Even with the problems I've had they've still grown a bit since that picture.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Here they are today. The yellow sickly looking one is a skunk #1 plant. I think it might be a male and it's been a weakling since I sprouted it (More than 2.5 months ago!).
The others are doing ok now since some of them had a problem with burned leaves and are growing steadily.
I'm not sure when I'll initiate 12/12. If I get time to take more clones on the 25th then I'll probably switch.
I'm pretty sure they're big enough now to fill the room in stretch.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
I discovered that the Skunk #1 is indeed a female:) So I'll give them a little more time to veg so I can see it getting a little healthier before I trigger them.
They're at 18 hours but my sweet tooths are still shooting a lot of pistils. I'm wondering if this means that they might be able to finish early October in Denmark - 55 degrees north?

blackone

Veteran
Now it's time for their first long night, so Dec 30 will be day 1 12/12.
I'll give them a little more time in flower this round - last crop was taken around day 54 and it was a little early.
Here is what I've got going, taken at lights out:

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
Hey there Blackone:wave:

I read here that you said you were having trouble not getting the yield that you want. If you are really looking to have a killer yield your gonna have to have those things longer... The idea is the more roots you have the more buds they will produce.

Now imo i would veg the plants you have now until the canopy fills your entire grow space. Then flip to flower. Wait a week then trim out all of the undergrowth that isnt getting lit by the light. Then all you have to do is feed them right and you will have a ton of bud. But just my .02. Keep up the great work dude, Peace.

-N.Kron:rasta:

blackone

Veteran
Yeah if I was only interested in the yield of one harvest I would do just that, but I don't want to burn the 600W 18 hours per day for too long - I wouldn't mind getting a smaller yield if it saves enough vegging time to make it worthwhile, as I'm more interested in total garden productivity (Mostly in terms of electricity use, but also time) than in how much weight I can pull from a single harvest. I already vegged this room for much longer than I would like - almost 2 weeks. I'm thinking the optimal would be to use 30 clones vegged for 2-3 weeks in 1L pots under flouros, and then repotted and given 4-5 days of 18/6 under the HPS before switching to 12/12. Based on my last grow it should be possible to get close to 20 grams from each that way - some of my larger clones were close to that yield. My next grow in this room might not be Swt #3 in soil though - I'm seriously considering running Satori in coco - if I can get enough strong clones ready in time. Anyway when I started flowering the roots were already poking out of the bottoms of the pots, and now after less than a week of stretch they're almost filling out the room - I'll get some photos up in the weekend. I know this strain will keep stretching and filling out for 2 more weeks so it's gonna be a nice canopy in there - don't forget that these are early topped plants so they need a little space. I'm not expecting to pull 600 grams from this grow at all - I would need an average yield of 40 grams per plant for that. I'm pretty sure I'll get somewhere between 400 and 500 grams though if I don't screw up something ;p

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Day 9 12/12

Day 9 12/12

Everything is looking good over here - it's probably true that I would get a better harvest if I had vegged for one more week but in terms of measuring garden productivity 1 week veg = 1.5 weeks of bloom = 75 grams based on a 400g harvest. Would I be able to harvest 75 grams more (5 g extra per plant) if I vegged for one more week? I don't know - perhaps, but I also have to think about the time factor and I don't want to delay my next batch.
I might also get rootbound plants that need watering every day. I don't wanna do that:)

Last edited:

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
Word I understand where your coming from. Im interested to see the shots. Keep up the good work blackone. Peace.

-N.Kron:rasta:

blackone

Veteran
The damn thrips are back;p
I bought a Pyrethrum aerosol some time ago and it seemed to remove all of them but I guess the eggs hatched and now they have returned - and the aerosol is empty, what a ripoff.
I just ordered some concentrate and when I get it (With a little luck already in 2 days) I'll be giving them a very good spray. 1 more spray on day 21 or so should finish off the larvae and most of the adult stages - that should give the plants relative peace in weeks 4 and 5 where most of the bud-building takes place.

Meanwhile I'll give my vegging chamber regular spraying - taking care each plant is sprayed down well and dunking the ones that are small enough for that. With time I hope to be able to eradicate those bastards. If not then I don't know what I'll do. I'm not going to tear everything down and start from seed again - not gonna happen because I don't wanna lose this strain that I worked so hard to mum up, grow, flower - and I also have Satori vegging, destined for my next grow.

I also ordered some sticky traps - they might help me fight the adult ones.

The plants are growing ok - one of them was alreay showing resin at day 9... but my experience from the last grow is that you need to be on top of thrips - they really did damage the leaves a lot the last time and I'm sure it affected my yield.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Day 15 12/12

Day 15 12/12

My plants here at day 15 - they're pretty healthy compared to the issues I had in veg. I got myself an infrared thermometer - temps all over the room were around 22-26, with tems inside the exhaust duct of 22 and intake temps of 17-18. This sounds ok doesn't it?
If you compare this grow to my last one you can see that the room isn't as crowded as the last time - I'm excited to see how this grow with 15 vegged and topped plants will compare to the old grow with 24 SOG plants directly from clone and 4 large seedplants.

I'm planning to expand my grow - but I'm still not sure if I'll make the room bigger and add another 600W and pull off some staggered harvests, or if I'll just build another cab - 250 or 400W. I'm starting to run out of space in my vegging / clone / mother box so I need somewhere to put the surplus rooted clones;p

Latest posts

Latest posts