What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do I ACTUALLY need?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Sorry that I can't answer everyone separately but let me give some information that will answer most of the questions you asked.

I'm on my second grow. My first grow was all organic like the current one. Growing organic was perfect for me so I'm not "changing" my growing style just looking to experiment. I have enough knowledge about cultivating in general. Got every equipment needed other than hydro specific items. Not interested with growing in soil using salt based nutrients because I think thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not interested with real hydroponics because of the noise and added equipment needs.

I think I got enough answers already so thanks to everyone for chiming in.
Well your first post never mentioned the word organic.

You just asked what the minimum is that you need to grow, well I showed you the mininum what it takes to grow weed in coco coir.

So if you want to have a discussion about growing organically while using coco, that's a different question.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Would sip pots work with hydro nutes? My new grow GSC auto is in a diy self wicking sip pot.
I don't see why they wouldn't, but you should be mindful of salt buildup in the lowest area of the SIP, the reservoir. After repeated evaporation cycles the hydro nutrients might have buildup on the container.
I don’t mean to contradict everyone but he really doesn’t need a ph meter, the drop kits are fine.
Doesn't have to be a meter, but something to measure pH is really, really handy. I feel like a decent amount of the pictures people post with, oh god help my plant, start cause of bad pH. I can never get the kits to work, or I just suck at reading them, or both.:biggrin:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I don’t mean to contradict everyone but he really doesn’t need a ph meter, the drop kits are fine.
Good luck growing in coco coir with mineral nutrients, without a pH meter and and EC meter.

You'll never know exactly what you're feeding, what the runoff is, etc.

Notice he didn't mention growing organically in the first post.

PlantBully

Good luck growing in coco coir with mineral nutrients, without a pH meter and and EC meter.
You'll never know exactly what you're feeding, what the runoff is, etc..

Atleast in this case there is no actual need for it since it seems like a small scale grow. Knowing exactly what you're feeding is not important, I mean it is, but you should know it before mixing your nutrients anyways. Good old leaf diagnosis chart is your best friend with low number of plants.

Everyone should buy one anyways, they are cheap and makes life a bit easier. :tiphat:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be difficult for a newbie to grow in coco without at least using a ph meter. Even with the experience I have I couldn't do it without meters. Believe me I have had plenty of PH lockouts over the years even with meters.. Soil is much more forgiving then coco.

Now if you want to grow a few healthy plants without meters the best way is Organic water only in soil. Use 1 bale promix + 1 bag of kis organic nutrient pack. Follow mixing instructions when ready water only is needed.. No other nutrients are needed.

Equipment needed

1 ph pen, drops or strips
1 tent 4x4
1 315 or 630 cmh. I prefer 630.
1 fan
1 inline scrubber if smell is an issue
2 4" inline fans for intake/exhaust

I think that's good.

Last edited:

madalasatori

Veteran

You'll never know exactly what you're feeding, what the runoff is, etc.

Notice he didn't mention growing organically in the first post.

I’ve grown for ten years in coco without a ph meter, drop tests do the same thing and I prefer them because they don’t fall over or need calibrating

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It really doesn't matter what u use to test for PH as long as u know what it is before feeding your plants. Meter, test strips or drops all work. Meters are the most convenient and are cheap.

Wendull C.

Veteran
The strips are very convenient to have around when you go to calibrate and are out of 4.0 or 7.0 solution. Saved me a couple times.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Careful buying litmus paper online. I bought a booklet of yellow paper strips of eBay. That's exactly what they were, yellow paper. Milk or coke, came out at wet yellow paper and dried to wrinkly dry yellow paper.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
+1 for pH drops- pretty accurate AND precise.
Blumats, coco, KISS/base nutes, quantum board = 5oz mini cab

Accurate and precise are the same thing.

Blumats are for watering soil I thought. They would be bad for coco. Localised salt accumulation. No flush. But worse than that, coco is great because of it's air exchange potential, which constant moisture levels put a stop to. And don't forget the flood. There will be a flood. So stand your plants where a tank full of water can be caught.

pH can be read various ways. We don't need that thread detour. Just read it.

Lucas formula is mixing two bottles. Isn't nearly everything? Simple would be just one bottle. Using Nitric acid for veg and phosphoric acid in flower. Then the only second bottle to think about is PK.

Keep in mind that a organic feed, is usually a feed sourced by organic means. Immediately available plant food. Not a tonic that feeds something, that eats something, that shits out plant food. I have stuck plenty in coco, which is so similar to soil that you can almost ignore the differences. Lots of soil even has coco in it. And it's perfectly capable of housing a microherd. CoCo food doesn't work well in soil though. Only soil feed in coco. Which is good news when looking after plants in both substrates, or if you have some soil feed to use up, when your coco specific one runs out (when your blumat's empty the last barrel, perhaps)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bluemats are just a kind of auto watering device. When the bottom part gets dry water starts dripping. These will work in coco/soil. There no different than any other auto drip system.

Organics takes time to break down any nutrients plants need. They are not available immediately. Beneficial organisms are the primary contributor to that process. Immediately available plant food is the stuff we get in bottles.

Coco requires a lower PH range than soil. You will have issues using the PH range of soil in coco. coco-5.5---6.0.. Sweet spot 5.8/6.0. Soil-6---6.8.. Sweet spot 6.3/6.5

Kis is made for Soil only. I wouldn't use it in coco.

https://www.kisorganics.com/products/kis-organics-nutrient-pack

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Accuracy and precision are not the same thing.

If I land three darts in the target I am aiming for I would be precise and accurate.

If I land three darts in another target I wasn't aiming for then I would be precise and not accurate.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Bluemats are just a kind of auto watering device. When the bottom part gets dry water starts dripping. These will work in coco/soil. There no different than any other auto drip system.

They have all the problems of a single dripper, no run-off and no wet dry for air exchange. CoCo is all about that wet dry, every few hours if you can.

Organics takes time to break down any nutrients plants need. They are not available immediately. Beneficial organisms are the primary contributor to that process. Immediately available plant food is the stuff we get in bottles.

Your lost in the dream buddy. Do an image search for organic plant feed. It's all in a bottle, or power you mix in a bottle. Not even 1% of the results support your version of organic feed. People expect to do 'organic grows' in undersized containers, that are exhausted in a few weeks. Then reach for a bottle that gives instant results.

Your link isn't a plant feed.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Accuracy and precision are not the same thing.

If I land three darts in the target I am aiming for I would be precise and accurate.

If I land three darts in another target I wasn't aiming for then I would be precise and not accurate.

Look up both words in a thesaurus. They will point towards the other, before anything else. So using both together is just repeating yourself.

Accurate and precise are the same thing.

Blumats are for watering soil I thought. They would be bad for coco. Localised salt accumulation. No flush. But worse than that, coco is great because of it's air exchange potential, which constant moisture levels put a stop to. And don't forget the flood. There will be a flood. So stand your plants where a tank full of water can be caught.

pH can be read various ways. We don't need that thread detour. Just read it.

Lucas formula is mixing two bottles. Isn't nearly everything? Simple would be just one bottle. Using Nitric acid for veg and phosphoric acid in flower. Then the only second bottle to think about is PK.

Keep in mind that a organic feed, is usually a feed sourced by organic means. Immediately available plant food. Not a tonic that feeds something, that eats something, that shits out plant food. I have stuck plenty in coco, which is so similar to soil that you can almost ignore the differences. Lots of soil even has coco in it. And it's perfectly capable of housing a microherd. CoCo food doesn't work well in soil though. Only soil feed in coco. Which is good news when looking after plants in both substrates, or if you have some soil feed to use up, when your coco specific one runs out (when your blumat's empty the last barrel, perhaps)

Hey man, for your knowledge, precision and accuracy are not the same thing:

Precision and accuracy are often used interchangeably, but in science they have very different meanings. Measurements that are close to the known value are said to be accurate, whereas measurements that are close to each other are said to be precise.
pH drops are not particularly accurate (+\- 0.5) but they are precise eg give consistent readings unlike a ageing pH probe, which requires calibration.

Coco and blumats work exceptionally well together, there are many, many threads on here. It has very specific characteristics, you don’t treat it like soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts