What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chemist (Kali Mist x Cheesy Rider)

M

mrghost

Strain: Chemist
Breeder: Mr Ghost
Parents:
- M - Kali Mist (Serious Seeds | musky sativa phenotype)
- F - Cheesy Rider (Karma Genetics | gassy bushy phenotype)

I wanted to get the terpenes of a sativa heavy Kali Mist phenotype (the musky one) onto the Cheesy Rider which already has an amazing profile.

Due to structure of the Cheesy Rider phenotype I have, it is a pure connoisseur plant. I kept her for the taste and the smell which can make you high by itself.
I ran a few and they had a very interesting profile. Very easy to grow. Amazing structure and rock hard buds.
All of the first test runs were very similar.

The stretchy sativa dad helped give my creation a better structure and bigger buds.
The taste is rather musky and gassy with the smell of rotten fruit. I was really lucky on this one.

I'll start a grow and report along the way.

The mom is still in my collection (currently in flower) so it'll be nice to compare them.

Last edited:
M

mrghost

I soaked the seeds in water (no additives) for 30 hours

After 2 days in a paper towel they looked like this

picture.php

I took some of my compost (they love this stuff) and prepared 4 jiffy pots

picture.php

carefully moving the seeds into their new home

picture.php

M

mrghost

In this run I'm mainly looking for a stud to use him for breeding. If I find an outstanding female I might keep her around.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Do know that sometimes you have to go to the F2 generation to find your real keepers. :tiphat:

Urgh... you reminded me about the Frankies Incense Haze I have in the refrigerator... that I need to F2 :(

MrGhost, hope you don’t mind me asking... that musky KM... is it pre 98 or more recent? From reg or fems?
I tried an old pack last year and none germinated :(

M

mrghost

Do know that sometimes you have to go to the F2 generation to find your real keepers. :tiphat:

Thx for the tip.

Keeping a female would also be the first step into F2ing this one.

I'm mainly looking for a male that matches the profile of my first test run (little differences in phenotypes) which seemed surprisingly promising.

I want to BX my Cheesy Rider (their direct mom) and continue selecting for further generations.

If the male turns out to be outstanding I'll use him for further crossings. If I don't find a good one I'll look for new ones and do some test F2 and BX. It's gonna be a wild ride :dance013:

M

mrghost

Urgh... you reminded me about the Frankies Incense Haze I have in the refrigerator... that I need to F2 :(

MrGhost, hope you don’t mind me asking... that musky KM... is it pre 98 or more recent? From reg or fems?
I tried an old pack last year and none germinated :(

It's from 2017 as regulars.

I can only go by looks and flowering time the dad was a straight sativa (14+ weeks flower) compared to my keeper female (definite indica traits at 9 - 10 weeks flower). I'm not sure how it would compare to the original (hard to tell from a male), though I'm pretty confident the dad leaned more towards what people are after if they remember the old Kali Mist. I smoked my first Kali Mist in 99 at Bluebird in Amsterdam and that's when it became my favorite Strain.

I'd love to find a good old cut with that typical Kali Mist flavor. I can taste it in some of my extracts but my female has other (amazing) notes that cover that typical taste we all love (probably) from the original. I'm still hunting that phenotype on the Kali Mist.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
F2's are made by crossing two F1's. :tiphat:

When that happens the genes segregate and all kinds of surprises can be found.
Some plants behave like the parents, some like F1's and some like nothing before.

Happy pheno hunting the F2 jungle. :woohoo:

M

mrghost

F2's are made by crossing two F1's. :tiphat:

When that happens the genes segregate and all kinds of surprises can be found.
Some plants behave like the parents, some like F1's and some like nothing before.

Happy pheno hunting the F2 jungle. :woohoo:
Thx for the heads up, though I know one or two things about genetics. I actually learned this a long time ago in school. Good Old Mendel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance

I'm not too interested in making a stable strain from the Chemist. Maybe that came across wrong.
I mainly want to back cross it to the original mom.
The original goal was to get a better structure onto my Cheesy Rider.

Since I currently don't have too much space this project is nothing serious and meant for fun and learning.

Spaventa

Veteran
Thanks mrghost, I have gone down the alternative path of looking through Kali Mist crosses. Good luck with everything your doing.

M

mrghost

Two of the four chemists seem to take a little longer while the other two look very eager to grow.

It's a little hard to see but all four of them came through.

picture.php

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i saw kali mist 2 times flower form it was musky the other cheese funk. always wanted to grow it. kali cheese cross is gonna throw some funky terps

M

mrghost

i saw kali mist 2 times flower form it was musky the other cheese funk. always wanted to grow it. kali cheese cross is gonna throw some funky terps

I can give you a big YES on "funky terps". This is my second run of this strain.