What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sorting Through A Bunch Of Seeds In A Small Space

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Thanks, I get it now. No negative effects from shocking the plants twice like that?

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I meant.... Let them veg for 2 weeks so they dont stress... then flower them out and judge them. They don't stretch as much when you give a little veg.
When you harvest... chop down to about 2 remaining nodes.... trim roots... and reveg with high humidity very low light.

Males you can flower till sex then top, and throw bottom into veg area. Then put top in a glass of water on the side, and it will keep flowering and make pollen under 24hr light if you want.

Breadwizard

The plants that are super finicky about the light hours change should likely be culled anyway, as they're not very stable.

One school of thought at least

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Dr.Young: Thanks!
Breadwizard": Maybe :) I def. agree that finicky plants in general don't seem worth it. Thanks!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I meant.... Let them veg for 1-2 weeks so they dont stress... then flower them out and judge them. They don't stretch as much when you give a little veg. So some you want to veg for a while but its still micro.. chop down to about 2 remaining nodes.... trim roots... and reveg with high humidity very low light.

Males you can flower till sex then top, and throw bottom into veg area. Then put top in a glass of water on the side, and it will keep flowering and make pollen under 24hr light if you want.

Thats how I did things for my "micro"

Nice.

I have *lots of regular seeds. I'm flowering a tray to feminize with STS.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I think doing reveg is a good way to do a stress test out the gate... Then you can judge how fast it bounces back.. Then you can test how good it pumps out clones.. Same with males.. good stress tests to see if it herms.
If it looks like a gem, but doesnt even reveg. Maybe its not a gem. Only the strong survive.

Plus this way your doing 2 rooms worth of stuff in 1, and in the end you have bonsai reveg mothers instead of large mothers you would have doing the normal route. Space saving from start to finish.

If you have the extra space it is better to just go the normal route though. By time you finish test run, mothers will be ready to pump out several clones vs having to reveg and wait another month anyway before things reveg, and can pump out any amount of clones.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I'm an old fart too, and I'm not looking for a cheap, easy anything, okay? I'm just greedy, I guess. I already have four or more keeper strains, but I just love popping beans!

We all love popping beans to grow out those new, tasty cultivars.

You don’t come across as greedy or cheap, we all would profit from a sure fire way to make selections in veg.

I also have about half a film canister of some bag seed of the best tasting lemon weed I ever smoked. I would love to hit the lemon lottery on one of those. I've popped about 15 already, nothing lemony so far. Cheers!

I flower a cross that has cherry and lemon phenos, and the lemon is so mouth watering.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I grow outdoors and have always gone from seed. Do clones grow differently than seed? If they don't have a good structure, they'll break on me.

Tahoe22

Do clones grow differently than seed?
definitely. depending on how you cut them they usually start off with at least 3 nodes so it's a lot easier to top/manipulate them into a bush/get a lot of clones fairly quickly as opposed to seeds. The overall structure/look of the plant will be more or less the same but clones will always look bushier than their seed mom unless you don't manipulate the clones at all and you had already topped/fimmed/super cropped the seed mother multiple times

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
You don't give clones nutes until they develop roots. Clones don't need the same amount of light as seedlings.

I put seedlings right under fluoros, but I can just have clones in the same tent but not under direct light and they will root no problem.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've always grown from seed. Never cloned a ganja plant in my life. When I start growing indoors at some point I will definitely be on the lookout for that special clone to keep.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
All I can say is, cloning is awesome! To take your favorite plant and make unlimited copies, are you kidding me? And, it's about ten thousand times easier than I thought it would be before I actually tried it.

Tahoe22

All I can say is, cloning is awesome! To take your favorite plant and make unlimited copies, are you kidding me? And, it's about ten thousand times easier than I thought it would be before I actually tried it.

Couldn't have said it better. its an intriguing process :smoker: which method do you use to clone? Been using ez machines for a while but the cubes and such interest me.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I've always thought the concept of cloning plants was awesome because it's like giving a plant immortality. Makes me wonder what the oldest clone actually is. It's pretty amazing to think some clones have survived all through the years of prohibition.

Tahoe22

I've always thought the concept of cloning plants was awesome because it's like giving a plant immortality. Makes me wonder what the oldest clone actually is. It's pretty amazing to think some clones have survived all through the years of prohibition.

Now that is a really cool thought. Few heads around the way still rocking cuts approaching 30 years in age so could be someone, somewhere out there holding one that's (give or take) half a century old or so. it's mind blowing how copies of a single genetic from the same exact seed can be spread so far and wide and land in the hands of so many people who would probably never have any sort of connection otherwise.

If plants could talk.... can you imagine the rivalry and the following dialogue between cuts that have been kept and carried through prohibition and more recent ones that came about after the fact? :bigeye::smoker:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Couldn't have said it better. its an intriguing process :smoker: which method do you use to clone? Been using ez machines for a while but the cubes and such interest me.

I use rusty scissors and some rooting powder. I dip the cut in water, scuff up the stem, roll it in the rooting powder and jam it into a rockwool cube.
I put the cubes in a plastic storage bin (like any of the ones in the pic), and use another bin for a roof. I keep the inside of the top bin wet to create a rain-forest type enviroment for them. Just keep everything humid but not swampy.
Also, before I put the cut into the medium, I snip off the ends of every leaf. Why? I was told that doing this makes the plant stop developing leafage and start making ROOTS. I dont know if that's true, it's just something I read that I always do now.
95% success rate.

plastic-container-500x500.jpg

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't get why some people are just so unsuccessful at cloning. It's stupid simple.

I take a pair of scissors and cut my clones and put them into a container of RO water with a couple drops of Superthrive. When I'm done taking clones I submerge the cuttings, and nip off the end underwater. Then I'll strip the lowest set of leaves off, trim the remaining leaves, dip the end in Clonex rooting hormone, and put that into a solo cup shotglass filled with Perlite with small holes drilled through the bottom.

That shotglass then sits in a tray filled with water. I call it my "mini hempy bucket cloner".

If the cutting doesn't wilt for the first 2 days, it will develop roots. I've had them take anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks. But as long as they stay upright for those first 2 days, I'm golden.

I'm about 90% on getting the cuttings past the first 2 days. After that, 100% success.

Latest posts

Latest posts