What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which calcium + magnesium supplement do you recommend in coco?

What kind of Calcium + Magnesium nutritional supplement do you recommend for growing in coco and for what reason? Is there any difference at all between these popular calmag supplements?

I've been using 2.5 parts Canna Mono Calcium and 1 part Canna Mono Magnesium so far, but it's sucks to mix them in seperately every time.

I'm thinking about moving on to Calmag plus by Botanicare.

Edit: About Canna Mono... I looked up exactly how many percent calcium and magnesium is in there and from these numbers I made the mix to be 2.5 to 1, not from the actual liquid itself.

Zblade

You might consider trying molasses.
Molasses is 2% mag and 2% calcium.If your using mycorrhizae or live cultures it’ll feed them also.
I use 1 teaspoon per gallon or enough to keep my bennifcals fed.
Just a thought.
Be sure to use unsulphered blackstrap molasses.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The only reason to use such a supplement, is if your feed is inadequate. The only reason to stick with inadequate feed, is if it was formulated for tap water, and your using RO. So the cal-mag is addressing the fact your tap isn't giving the expected level of calcium and magnesium your feed manufacturer expected.

There is no relationship between coco and a need for cal-mag like supplements. Only in initial buffering, which is unlikely to be your concern, as that is usually done at source.

I can't imagine using mono is a cheap or easy way of making a correction.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Grow More makes some good cal-mag. One is called N Cal Mag and the other is called Flowering Cal mag which doesn't have any nitrogen.

-Funk

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's rare for anyone to need the exact ratio of Calcium nitrate (wait, nitrogen??) and magnesium sulfate you find in a bottle. Your best bet will most likely be to source a good magnesium sulfate, and also a quality calcium supplement.

R/o is your friend. :D

troutman

Seed Whore
Your best bet will most likely be to source a good magnesium sulfate

Easy enough. :tiphat:

Epsom Salts is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and it dissolves in water nicely.

I use it regularly when growing with 1 tbsp. per gallon of water.

You can find it at drug stores or online.

Ratzilla

Veteran
I have been using a mix that is about 40% coco coir for many years.
When I first get any new coir it has been my experience that some coir may still have a good amount of salt content so it should be given a good flush.
I have had some coir come with killer high salt content.
Most coir is wash from the monsoons so depending how many times the pile of coir is turned maybe?
After getting my coir to have the same outgoing EC as the incoming EC of rain water 0.0 I then think of giving it a charge.
Ill throw some dolomitic lime (Ca-Mg)in enough water to cover the coir and let it sit awhile.
The coir has a negative charge while Ca and Mg are both positive.They attract and hold each other.
It also buffers the coir to a pH around 6.8 right where i want it for my TLO grows..
Ratz :tiphat:

I got a calmag concentrate by greenway biotech for cheap that ended up a gallon + 500 ML when I mixed it with a gallon of distilled water. Working great, not seeing any difference than GO CalMg+.

snippetysnip

In my experience if you feed properly you don't need cal mag in coco.
Seems to be a lot of people's go-to fix when they're under feeding or letting their coco dry out.
Cation exchange in coco is an important subject...

Latest posts

Latest posts