What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

28 plants out bush

Personally I refer to cannabis as a therapeutic herb, calling it a drug creates a stigma around it...But I get the drift... Sweet garden, very innovative.... Well done. :)

Pumpkin

Veteran
Does anybody know what causes this. The plant is yellowing top down almost, but only on that particular branch. I assume the branch is lost, but I actually noticed a few yellow leaves high up on some other plants which got me worried. It's like the water can't reach the top. The bottoms are fine and hardly yellowing.

IMG_20190304_162445.jpg IMG_20190304_162420.jpg

I've lost branches for mysterious reasons before. And I would not have worried if I did not spot a couple of yellow leaves high up on other plants.

If it was dehydration I would assume it would be bottom up, also stem rot would mostly start at lower nodes. It's not at a junction, so I'm a bit confused. It's also not sunburn as the symptoms seem different.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I hear ya sweet leaf, but aspirin is a drug that comes from a tree. And it doesn't have stigma. I think it's more that it is/was illegal that causes the stigma, rather than how you categorise it. But it's a small difference and we are all fighting the same fight despite nomenclature.

Edit. Can't speel :)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Pumpkin extra sweet grow bro, I picked something up about plant transpiration. Plant transpiration is pretty much an invisible process, since the water is evaporating from the leaf surfaces, you don't just go out and see the leaves "sweating". During a growing season, a plant or leaf, will transpire boo coos more water than its own weight. When I see those yellow leaves high on the plant, that tells me that their is a water transpiration issue. When it happen to me I thought it was from under-watering so I watered. Big hard lesson, the whole plant turned yellow and died. So when I saw those yellows leaves again on another plant, I reduced my water and the the yellowing stopped. However I know you are in coco and watering method is different from my old grow. I don't know why your plant has yellow leaves but I know that the yellowing leaves is a plant transpiration issue. Super Grow!!!

Pumpkin

Veteran
Thanks! You know I might be overwatering..... I would not count it out as a possibility. Do you think I should back off on the feeding a little. I'm giving 3 feeds a day at the moment of about 5 lt. 15lt a day. My gut says that should be fine, but I do not really know. Maybe I should back off a little?

Pumpkin

Veteran
I have two feed lines per plant.. so I could block one feed line to that plant with a goof plug... and then it could have 2.5lt feeds. I'll try that tomorrow, and if I see any improvement I can regiment that to any other yellowing plants.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I'm using those octo-bubbler things.. and to be honest they are all over the place. I'm sure there is far better pressure compensating shit out there. I'd love to know exactly how much water I give to each plant, regardless of the slope. But I have not found the right product yet.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I had to put pressure compensating drippers on the end of some octo bubblers cause they were pissing out water. I'm not sure If I was just unlucky. I got the product because I'd seen it recommended by others. But it would be no surprise to me if it was the cause of some problems. If I could find a product that gave the exact amount of water to each plant.. i'd be pretty happy. I got some things to check out anyway, so thanks Creeperpark

Pumpkin

Veteran
Maybe it is an early sign of root rot? But I've had that before and it was a general wilt of the whole plant (from memory).

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
over-watering photo

over-watering photo

What ever you change, try it on one plant first. Those plants are doing well and a few yellow leaves are OK. If you look on the right of the photo you can see what over-watering looks like, just before the plant died. It happened in the beginning of flowering. I killed it with too much love. Don't panic, you're are looking good!!!
IMG_1294.jpg

Pumpkin

Veteran
That looks awesome creeperpark :) Shame about your plant though. Really sucks to lose them near the end after all those months of TLC.

On a more happy note.

IMG_20190306_090521.jpg
IMG_20190306_085907.jpg

CrushnYuba

What kind of water pressure do you have? Netafim pressure compensated woodpeckers are nice. You can get them in higher flow rates. I feel like the bigger the flow rate the less likely they are to clog.

I feel like single branches dying is usually root funk or funk in the cambrium on the stem. Inspect the stem below the spot. But your pic just has like 5 yellow leafs so it's hard to say. I had a plant that had a similar thing this year. It happened on the tallest cola/branch. The branch never died, the leaf just kept dropping on it. There was allot of water pooling in that area from the irrigation and i thought it was wet feet causing it. All the other plants over there were over 7 lbs and that plant was only a couple lbs on a similar sized frame. I wouldn't think that sort of thing would happen with your style of growing. Your roots are less spread out and i would think it would just suck up the water. Maybe it's isolated root funk in the native soil below the pots.

Could you not be watering frequently enough?
My full season outdoor plants drink at LEAST 20-30 gallons a day. I know your style and climate is different, but a 2 lb plant in only a 7 gal pot could need more then 3 waters a day.

therevverend

Veteran
t 37 degrees south.

That's almost as far south as you can get in Australia, probably ideal for the hybrids you're running. Great setup. Curious how many hours of sun you get. Those eucalyptus trees are tall. Helicopters and planes have to be a worry. I always have my plants on the north side of a clearing facing south, or in your hemisphere, north. Angles the light in and gives them quite a bit of daylight.

Does anybody know what causes this. The plant is yellowing top down almost, but only on that particular branch. I assume the branch is lost, but I actually noticed a few yellow leaves high up on some other plants which got me worried. It's like the water can't reach the top. The bottoms are fine and hardly yellowing

When I see leaves yellowing like that I check for stem rot. You'll find grey mold girdling the branches or the stem, past the girdling the leaves and branch(es) will be dying.. It doesn't have to be rainy or humid, I've seen it with temperatures in the high teens to low 20's. If it's under 25 C it could be a problem. Some strains are more susceptible then others.

If that's what it is I'll pour rubbing alcohol, some type of disinfect it on it. Then rub an antibiotic salve, we've got one with Neomycin/polymyxin B/bacitracin in it. I'm sure they've got something similar in your part of the world. Usually it'll stop the mold and save the limb. Once it eats into the heart of the stem you may as well remove it and toss it. I get it every year and usually lose a couple branches. I've learned to be vigilant when I see yellow high up on the plant.

Pumpkin

Veteran
CrushnYuba: I think you hit the nail on the head. I've been underwatering a bit. I did some investigating last night and this morning and came to the same conclusion. I've upped the watering a bit, but I have to wait until I can install a new timer. My timer only allows three starts, and shops are far away with that sort of equipment. I'll definitely check out those dippers as well. I'm not 100% sure what my water pressure is, but it is gravity. I think about 300kpa. I can get a solar booster pump for next year though, so can sort it out. I had one branch die because of stem rot and some weird fungus, but this is different, and I think you are spot on with your trouble shooting.

therevverend: I'm not sure how many hours of daylight I get exactly, but the plants are in part shade. In summer it is not so bad as the sun comes right over the top of my clearing, but as I come into autumn it does get more shady. But I figure people in more wet climates have more cloud cover also.. so maybe it balances out a bit.

We do not get a whole heap of air traffic where I am, but of course any air traffic freaks me out a bit :) I figure if they are not directly above me, it's hard to see through the bush at an angle.

Here is a picture of my stem rot issue. I sprayed all the trunks with a fungicide after that as a precaution.

attachment.php

attachment.php

CrushnYuba

Usually you have to cut stem rot out, or it will keep spreading until it girdles the stem and it dies. Do something to seal it up. Tree sealant or cauterize with a torch. I have cut out pieces of rot that were 3/4 of the stem. As long as some healthy cambrium is intact, it will make it. 99% of stem rot i see is at the base of the plant where it makes contact with soil.

CrushnYuba

Usually you have to cut stem rot out, or it will keep spreading until it girdles the stem and it dies. As long as some healthy cambrium is intact, it will make it. 99% of stem rot i see is at the base of the plant where it makes contact with soil.

300kpa is great! That's like 45psi. Solar pumps suck. You are probably doing better without it. If You need more flow or pressure You could just rearange some things. You could also use an emitter that works well with lower pressure like flag emitters.

Do you use a simple digital hose timer or separate underground valves and proper controller like they use in underground sprinkler systems? I use an orbit 57861 with 1" latching solenoid valves in places i don't have power. It can do 8 waters a day and 4 zones. It was like 50$ US for the controller and 1 valve. Extra zone valves were 20$.
If you are using a hose timer, switching to sprinkler valves would give you a big bump in pressure and flow. Hose timers only have little 3/8" openings in them. I run 20 GPM through the 1" valves. I know you got different stuff there but i bet products are similar.

Thank You for doing something unique. Everyone in California it's using bigger and bigger pots. I can't wait to grow a 10lb plant in a 65 gal side by side with an 8 lb plant in a 400 gal.

Pumpkin

Veteran
CrushnYuba: I'm just using a garden timer at the moment. I've only got one zone, and I am running small pipes after the timer as I figure it kicks the pressure compensating in quicker. At the start of the grow I was deciding weather to use 30lt pots or 50lt pots, I wish I went the 50lt pots in retrospect, and will go 50lt next year. I feel I am a bit root bound at the moment and that could be half my problem. Was fine up until now though. Was on a budget this year, and could not afford the coco to fill the 50lt pots and also the cost of nutrients. That''s why I am running things rather dry, I'm basically out of money :) It would be an interesting cost analysis vs massive pots, and s shit load of nutes. If I watered as I probably should, I'd be chewing $200 a week. Which is fine if you have $200 a week :) I'm pretty sure 10lb plants are more than possible if you have the season for it. The only tricky part is it's almost impossible to transplant. So you are using a lot of nutes at the start in your 65 gallon container. I reckon you could get 10lb out of a 45 gallon container.

Pumpkin

Veteran
attachment.php

attachment.php

I can only take photos of buds right under the canopy because of my flower mesh. But this Lime Cookies is doing well for under the shade. That bud is in shade all day long. The other picture is my 3pm light. It's shadier at other times of the day, but the light coverage is not awful.

Attachments

• 53364352_608674336240330_1461843336678604800_n.jpg
    53364352_608674336240330_1461843336678604800_n.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 53509584_603951606699036_7248749135912763392_n.jpg
    53509584_603951606699036_7248749135912763392_n.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 22

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
The greenery is strong and feels like some good energy is coming off that patch. Very unique intelligent design. Looks like a good time to chill with the girls. That should be some strong ganja. The sun just pokes in there good enough it looks like. That is awesome to gaze upon my friend. Thanks for sharing. Whats the future hold for you? Do you grow year round?

Pumpkin

Veteran
Bradlely. I put a lot of energy and love into my plants, I'm glad it shows. I only get to do one crop a year here, so it all hangs in the balance. This is my first time in this location, and I had 20 males, so I am hoping, if I pull this year off, I can double the output next year. I had a bit of a late start this year because I had to set everything up .. water, clearing etc. And I'm going to make sure I have all females and enough backups next year. That said I may also do worse next year, nobody really knows what the future holds. And although I like imagining, I don't count my chickens before they hatch. I'm just trying to pull through this season right now. I normally like doing some indoor also, but have no power here. I prefer working outdoors though. Any reason to get outside is a good reason :)