What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Bubba Kush (fem Cross) info, grow-along and test grows.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, as some of you may have noticed..Tom Hill has been posting again. WHat he said about males in fem lines was interesting, and reassuring to me.. it seems that it is possible to get 'males' from fem crosses:

Finally had another male pop up in some of our feminized autos we're running for winter seed production and had a chance to use the youPCR screen. I know that both parents were true females and made the seed myself. Phenotypically, the plant was 100% male--not a single female hair present (they often show up on the tips of pollen sacks on hermaphrodites). The genomic screen came back negative for a Y chromosome. I don't have time or space at the moment to let it flower and pollinate other known females for progeny testing, but that's what needs to be done to move us all forward on this.

Haha like Mussolini from the balcony son of a bing son of a boom guessing correctly on the first try - told you guys.
biggrin.gif

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Assumed I jumped in on this thread already, but apparently not. It definitely seems that some of the kush lines have had X to auto some ancestors. There is a paper proved by Sam in tom hill's resurrection thread that shows the process of how X to autosome works. This would explain how random recombinations can cause an apparent female line to throw a few males without any Y chromosome present. I know some would argue that no Y means not male, frankly myself included, but some lines do work differently.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HI GMT i'll bring sam's link here, i had a quick look at the paper a while back but still need to read it properly... i'm still keen on trying to find some way of harnessing a 'benefit' to this phenomenum or at least testing it.. but having chatted to you about it, it seems tricky to prove anything from a test grow.

https://sci-hub.se/10.3389/fpls.2020.569958

Genetic Architecture of Flowering Time and Sex Determination in Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.): A Genome-Wide Association Study.
Petit, J., Salentijn, E. M. J., Paulo, M.-J., Denneboom, C., & Trindade, L. M.
Frontiers in Plant Science, 11.(2020).
doi:10.3389/fpls.2020.569958

I will add it to my IC BIB this week

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah, very tricky. I've been thinking too, the only way would be to find a good male ( that orange scented one someone else found would have been perfect). And outcross it to a known X Y line female. If all offspring were female, you'd know it was down to x to autosome ancestry. Of course f2's f3's would be a lucky dip again.