What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BlueDigiBerry F2

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey VerdantGreen seed lovers!!! I was asked to come and share a bit more information about the Digi Bx1 male that was used in the F1 of this cross...

So with that in mind, this information is in a sticky at the top of the stank bros forum, but I'll just re-post it here for ease and thread flow:

The Digi clone is held by Chili_Berkster - in early 2009, when I first became aware of her existence and acquired Bx1 seeds, the Digi mom was 21 years old. That makes her a known 24 years old, but she was around a few years in the region before being acquired and since held by Chili. Putting Digi's origins to be around '84-'86. Digi has a true Thai influenced cannabinoid profile and a REAL blueberry muffin terepene profile. She is exquisite!

The Digi was was pollinated by a Sour Bubble Bx2 male, selected by Chili, which he named Arnold. The resulting cross of Digi x Arnold was called "BlueBubble". The BlueBubble line produced a male of epic proportions - of which ALL resulting filial offspring were superior. The various offspring of the BlueBubble male are heavily documented on ICm.

This makes the Digi Bx1 line Digi x (Digi x Sour Bubble Bx2).

I sorted this Bx1 seed line, having acquired around 80 seeds. Over a period of three years, I hunted through these seeds, sometimes successfully, other times with error. I drilled Chili very heavily on numerous occasions about the specific traits and quirks of the Digi mom in order to better make my selections. After about 60 seeds, I knew the 48th seed sprouted, was to be my male. He possessed ALL the right attributes in a single plant - more so than any of the various females I've found. I had hoped it was female at first...lol...but then realized exactly how lucky I was!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This male has deceased. Broad mites. However the pollen was shared far and wide. Many folks have or will be making a few Digi Bx1 offspring. I fortunately have some stashed in the freezer as well.

He breeds very consistently for the glorious blueberry smells / flavors, extreme vigor, excellent lateral branching - and most importantly - a given cannabinoid profile. An epic third eye, self-awareness, spin in a field of flowers; anti-anxiety, stress relief, one with the world , EPIC high, that is consistent with the Digi clone mom.

The plants I saw in VG's F1 seeds really surprised me. I was not expected the flower structures to be so heavily dominated by the male. I knew he bred very dominant for some traits, but seeing how much he altered the foxtailed Blueberry VG had, really surprised me. I'd expect the effects of these seeds to still retain the more up and lofty effects - as the male breed very consistent for a given cannabinoid profile. Within his F2 generation, I'd be searching for plants that have the long fan blades, like VG's mom, but also that have a heavy double serration in the leaves - I would think such a plant would display the best traits of both parents - but in a F2 who knows how frequently such a plant will surface - but it is in there some where!!

I know without question, these plants are a great representation of a true blueberry line - as VG said - the Digi was an OLD blueberry cut - very removed from the modern lines / workings, and retains all the great qualities of the earliest blueberry craze - before it ever had a chance to be changed. Digi is the OLDEST blueberry clone I have ever been made aware of - and her thai dominant high is truly just epic. The Digi Bx1 male breed very true for this - paired with a newer era tailed out sativa - there really should be some epic plants to be found in these seeds.

I was highly honored when VG asked me about the male - knowing he had been hunting for quite some time to find the RIGHT daddy. I truly hope the results are everything he was hoping they would be!! I can't wait to see what the community at large thinks of this project!

A huge thank you to VG for utilizing the male and having the vision to make this project a reality - it only benefits the community!! I know many heads will find a type of cannabis in these seeds that is otherwise lost to the mass of strains that make up catalog after catalog today - these are unique...not ones to miss!!

dank.Frank

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for dropping that by frank. awesome info on the digi.

the high of the digi that you describe sounds pretty much spot on similar to my BB cut.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No problem VG - thanks for making these available to people! Very glad to see your project has yielded some progressions! ;)

dank.Frank

Hydropimp

Veteran
Hey VG will you let us know when the seed arrive?

Or will Clarence make a thread I have your s1 and want a pack

Pack of the fat bubba but am after the blueberry.

John Deere

Veteran
Flipping them to 12/12 to see what I've got. One or two big plants fill my flower cab pretty full so on the off-chance I get all females things could get a bit tight. I've got cuts of all 3 already, too. My flower cab has a satori finishing up for a couple more weeks so these will start under T5 and move to hps when it opens up.

First the group shot, 1-3, L-R, shortest to tallest.

picture.php

Plant 1, shortest, on the left in group shot. This one has the thickest stem and smells the most fruity/flowery.

picture.php

picture.php

John Deere

Veteran
Plant 2, center in the group shot. Some sweet smell but nothing too distinctive yet.

picture.php

picture.php

And plant 3, right in the group shot. No distinct smell yet but very vigorous growth. I've bent it down once already and will definitely be bending more to keep it under control. I'm hoping for a female bb sativa from this one but will also be happy with a male. Lots of side branching, easy to take big cuttings. A couple fan leaf tips got burned when it grew into the lights at one point. Nothing major but you can see the brown tips in some of the pix.

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice one John, the F1s were pretty handsome in veg and those F2s are looking lovely, happy too. i had a feeling about number 1 :D the slow growth may be to do with being more effected by the gnats? or was it always a runt...

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Just ordered a pack of the f2s today. I'm stoked! Are these the first f2s being tested, or have any been flowered yet?
Also, could I achieve anything by taking my pack to the f3 or f4 generation? I know true breeding requires a large sample pool, but I'm wondering if 12 seeds can turn into something stable(ish)?

John Deere

Veteran
1's not a lot shorter than 2, maybe a couple inches or so. I don't think it was the bugs. It had a period where it didn't seem to be getting any taller but like I said, the stem is the thickest of the 3 so I assume it was growing down and solidifying itself. Number 3 actually showed the most leaf damage, probably because it was growing the fastest, but all 3 have grown out of anything weird they had going on.

And yep, you did mention number 1 before. I had to take some pretty small cuttings off it. There were only a few small branches to choose from at all but they're looking fine so far. Keeping my fingers crossed but I've been having good success cloning recently so I'm confident they'll all be fine.

I always get excited flipping plants to 12/12 and I'm really looking forward to this one since they're new to me and I've wanted a nice bb for quite awhile. Thanks, VG!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No doubt...John has been a follower of the blue lines for a long time - I feel I let him down on one aspect...I'm so very glad he is growing these...couldn't have picked a better person who would treat them proper!!!

John, might I say this - for some reason, your plants look to me, very influenced by the Sour Bubble in the Digi Bx1...Digi x (Digi x Sour Bubble Bx2). I typically breed to more like stock...ie, more indica stock...so I wonder if I've not noticed how much the SB comes out in my male...

I know VG mentioned and even had one F1 that was SUPER "kushy" looking in it's flower structure and growth profile...I'm quite surprised to see that...as MOST of the plants I've paired to that male have been MUCH more Digi influenced...ie blue thai.

I'm certainly not attempting to down talk the line - it's just very interesting to see the expressions for me, ESPECIALLY, in F2 format. It tells me, anything I take past F1 with this male...I am going to see a heavy influence from what was a latent trait in the F1's - ie the Sour Bubble...ie Chili_Berkster's "Arnold" male...

Arnold...to this day, produced some of the VERY BEST...most potent, frost laden offspring I have ever seen...truly. I mean, 1000% keepers all the time coming off that Arnold male.

IF - my Bx1 male is throwing heavy Sour Bubble influences in the F2 generations....that has me excited in a whole different kind of way...

Please, John...be completely honest in what you find in these plants - like or dislike - hold back no punches. If they don't stand up to the very best in your garden, I'd like to know, personally...and I'm sure VG doesn't mind given you are technically a tester for the line.

I'm just super glad to see these even come to fruition...VG has done some really great work - I honestly can't wait to see the flowers form on these plants - that will say 100x more than fan leaves and structure ever will...

Best wishes and good vibes your way, JD - keep 'em green - I know that isn't an issue for us organic gurus!!!! :respect:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My point being...I think I missed that after re-reading...the slow growth...MAY BE the re-occurrence of the latent Sour Bubble in the line...and may have nothing to do with anything but genetics...

I see some double serrations starting to show in the leaves...that is a good sign and is a direct inheritance from the original Digi clone - and is often searched for as an indicator of potency in cannabis plants, fwiw...

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and one more side note --- for those looking for Bubba Kush S1's - ummm... super cheap on Seedbay right now under VerdantGreen Seeds...private breeders section...

Bubba throws some real keepers in her s1's....don't miss these if you can't get cuts...

dank.Frank

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks frank. i think the SB comes through in the line in a structural way (which may be a good thing). The F1s i guess can only tell part of the story because they were seeded which would influence the bud structure, but certainly the smoke was straight blueberry muffins after a week or two cure with hints of the sweeter smells of my BB cut.
i also see the influence of my BB cut in these F2s and its good to hear that you see the digi.

The fat bubba i think has used an 'arnold' type SB male and i can detect some terpenes in the smoke on that which seem to have come from the SB - musky, fuel sour and a hint of lime sour. not much trace of that in the BDB F1s. at first i wondered but im pretty sure that floury/doughy smell hints on the BDB F1 was the 'muffin' thing.

i had kept cuts of some of the BDB F1s but i had a 'too many plants' panic and got rid of them. i figured i would be better to experience the F2s anyway when i grow them again.

John was pretty certain i think that the slow veg in his F2s was down to a gnat infestation.EDIT maybe not i just re-read his post!

im interested to see if we get any foxtailing starting around week 7, or if the digi bud structure and flowering time is dominant in the F2s - again that may be a good thing, my BB cut was tough to handle with its 4 week stretch and perpetual foxtails, good fun and unusual though.

VG

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just ordered a pack of the f2s today. I'm stoked! Are these the first f2s being tested, or have any been flowered yet?
Also, could I achieve anything by taking my pack to the f3 or f4 generation? I know true breeding requires a large sample pool, but I'm wondering if 12 seeds can turn into something stable(ish)?

hey Gil i dont see why not. 12 seeds is not very many but i would wager that the blueberry line has has many single pair matings already in its history so you can only really work with what you have. if you are serious about taking the line further i would keep all the good plants from your pack, collect a little pollen from all the males (you can cut branches and keep them in water to do this) and then pollinate a bud or two on each girl. then you have done all you can to keep as many of the good genetics as you had in the pack. from there you can grow out the F3s and start keeping your favorite girls and making F4's etc from them.

first preserve as many genetics as possible, then start making selections.

VG

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Thanks VG. Is the technique of saving male branches in water documented anywhere, or is it really as simple as it sounds? What I'm wondering is do I need to wait till the males are well into flowering to cut and save, or can I keep them alive long enough to get pollen if I take branches soon after showing sex?
Also, if I get an f2 female that I like, should I backcross the f3,4,etc to her, or just cross them with each other?I know this is beyond the scope of this thread, but I figured whatever insight you have couldn't hurt.
Thanks again for sharing with the world!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gil, i tend to wait until they are getting close to dropping pollen and then cut branches and stick in a jar of water (you can trim most of the leaves off). keep them on a still windowsill or greenhouse or cabinet light period doesnt matter too much. you can collect pollen on paper below as it drops or tap the branches onto paper/pick the opening sacs off every day or two. what you do as per crossing is up to you really, and i should say i'm no great expert, but the higher the F number, the more likely they will breed true for a trait. keeping a few girls and boys, dealing in populations (even though they may be laughably small in some people's minds) is always going to be better if you want to maintain the line and reduce the chance of inbreeding depression etc. also keeping some variation gives you more choice for selections in the future ;)

these BDB F2s, and the Cherryjuana are really a work in progress. im not the best placed to take anything much beyond F2 in any meaningful way... but anyone who buys a pack or two of these seeds can then jump in and start making their own selections and stear the generations in the direction they want.

VG

Last edited:

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
Thanks for the info. I'm not really set up to do anything major, but I can run maybe 10 at a time. I could take it 3 or 4 generations in a year. I'll be sure to share my results when I get them going.

John Deere

Veteran
Thanks for chiming in VG and D.F. I appreciate your comments. Interesting ideas. I've got some experience with sour bubble and agree on the slow veg aspect. Hard to say if that's the case or if the bugs had something to do with it or what, especially since I'm only looking at my first 3 plants. Good observations and it'll be fun to see what the remaining seeds do. I did notice some possible early double serration but wasn't going to mention it until it was more prominent.

Plant 3 got bent down again today. They all seem to be stretching a bit already. And FYI, I switched my t5 to 2 warm and 2 cool bulbs. I like mixed spectrum and I've had some pretty incredible results with it in the past, even though this one will be moved to my hps flower cab when it opens up. I'll also hang a few cfl's probably tomorrow. A lil' extra light's always a good thing.

Positive karma to VG and all involved in the creation of the bdb. (extra +1 to D.F for the booberry, you're above and beyond, brother!) And I wish I had more room to pop some VG bubba kush s1's. They're burning a hole in my seed vault. Can't wait to get some going.