What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1KW Soil + Hydro: Swt#3, C99 and friends.

blackone

Veteran
Running 600W + 400W hps.
Seeds were sown in early July.
Genetics are ((Big Daddy x C99 x Big Daddy)x Swt#3) x Swt#3 and also some ((Big Daddy x C99 x Big Daddy)x Swt#3) F2 selected from a very special lady that had a trichome coverage unrivaled by any kush I've seen including other people's pics.

Flower was started for the first seedplants on Aug 10. Males were removed and replaced by clones of swt#3 and c99 + more seedplants a couple of days later. Yesterday the last males were removed and 2 dwc tubs (1 swt and 1 c99) entered the room.
To the left the 400W side with the tubs:
picture.php

To the right the 600W side:
picture.php

I'm battling thrips, spidermites and aphids but I think with a couple of pyrethrum sprays they won't give me too much trouble.

blackone

Veteran
A little note on the dwc... It's a bit of an experiment really because I'm not using any PH controls - only AN PH Perfect grow, bloom and micro. Also I'm not using netpots but just 11x11x12cm square pots with some nice holes in the bottom. And they're not filled with hydroton but instead with Diatomite (In Danish Vækst-Ler or Moler). This is a wonderful substance - can suck 66% of its weight in water and doesn't lose its shape so never compacts meaning there will always be lots of air pockets between the rocks. Basically most of the advantages of hydroton (minus easy flushing) added to most of the advantages of peat (minus PH buffering/nute chelation which I hope to add back with the PH Perfect line). Vegging is simply done in the pots in standing nute solution and you can fit a lot of pots in a small space so very efficient. I'm not doing any veg at all in the flower room.
The same nutes are used in soil and they seem to be working well.

blackone

Veteran
Lol I just added air to the dwc tubs yesterday. They've been doing very well without it and roots are pure white but it had to be done - already 3 weeks a couple of days from now. 2 dual outlet airpumps were attached - each tub receiving air from both of the pumps for redundancy. I can't believe how trouble free this dwc has been so far - only exception was a couple of clones that weren't ready enough and their roots were insufficiently submerged in the water. They took a bit of a downturn because when the waterlevel dropped below the bottom of the pots they dried out a little. No damage though - they just underperformed. Had the medium been hydroton then they might have been dead now or very sorry looking.
All seedplants had clones taken and numbered - they're all rooted and transplanted and I hope they'll reveg soon.
Also 1 lower branch from each of the seedplants and a single swt#3 were painted with pollen from a swt * (swt*bd) male. Resulting crosses will be: swt *(swt*(swt*bd)), (swt*bd f2)*(swt * (swt*bd)) and (swt * (swt*bd))*(swt * (swt*bd)) - starting to get a little confusing now:) No stray seeds observed yet - I'm sure there will be a couple but not many. Unfortunately I don't think the c99 was dusted but on the other side it's confusing enough as it is.
I'm feeling quite accomplished - 2 months after starting seeds the girls are standing tall in mid flower with all phenos preserved and next generation on its way. A couple females have shown nanners in early flower - this is an unfortunate trait from the Big Daddy side that I have forgiven because the Big Daddy brings a very special aroma to the party. The nanners were removed and I haven't seen any since. Still I won't be using those females for breeding. I have lightleaks but won't fix them because I don't want to pass on a trait of light leak sensitivity.

blackone

Veteran
I'll get some pics done soon - should have done it earlier. The swt in soil has been harvested around day 45-48 12/12. The ones that went in the latest could have gotten a bit more but it's ok. Tops have been harvested from the big daddy crosses and it's a damn fine smoke. Most phenos carry the aroma I'm looking for and it really comes through in the smoke even though the bud is barely dry. Some plants are true keepers - in fact it's gonna be hard for me to bring it down to 2 or 3 mothers... Clones that were taken in flower are all revegging nicely - some are even almost totally revegged.
Trouble free grow mostly - only deficiencies have been from big plants sucking the pots dry too fast for me to catch up with the watering - except for a single sativa structured plant that just insisted on going yellow early but still manages to pile on bud.
C99 plants in soil were also harvested. The first one was taken around day 41-42... Could have gone longer but still a strong and energetic high. A pretty poor vine-like structure with super floppy stems and a not so interesting smell. Acceptable taste. Easy to trim but many popcorn buds - nice round and hard buds though.

The dwc plants... Wow this has been so damn easy that I'll be expanding the hydro portion of my grow because I'm tired of messing with tons of soil. I'm a bit excited to see if I can smell/taste the difference.
4 tubs under my 600W lamp for a total of 24 plants in a 120cm x 120cm area of the room should work out very well.

I'm filling out holes as I harvest with plants from the greenhouse - it's gonna work out pretty well I think to get the timing right and not miss a single beat. There is one big swt mother and one c99 mother both in early flower and a bunch of pot x freja F2 in various stages of flower. Some of these are resin bombs like their mother was.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts