What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Weed

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I was told by Reservation Labs that I could no longer ask questions in his thread so I brought my inquiries here.

Why would someone say they want "NO PURPS"

Is purple weed just a color fad or does it affect the quality of the herb in some way?

Back when I was a newbuck fools tried to tell me it was called purps because of the color smoke you blew out. They kept trying to tell me "can't you see the purple smoke?!"

I'm sitting there feeling like something is wrong with my eyes cause I can't see it.

What are your purple experiences?

Is it just a color or something more?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, first of all you need to understand that purple is a pigmentation. It is either a genetic trait that happens naturally, or it can be "triggered" as the result of environmental factors such as locking out certain nutrients or having the room get too cold on a regular basis during the dark cycles.

Because "purple" is really a pigment, it does have a particular taste. IF you have ever smoked a bud that has not been properly dried and is a bit moist still, you can actually taste a "green" taste...a young immature taste...essentially that is the remaining chlorophyll let in the plant you are tasting. Well, purple plants have a pigment that is present and it changes the actual taste of the flowers, even when properly dried. This "purple" taste is often described as a darker, deeper flavor, sometimes a little floral and slightly sweet but at the same time remaining some how musky. As far as seeing actual purple smoke...ehhh, can't say I have seen that. I do know that purples as a whole seem to feel as if they have "heavier" smoke when sitting in my lungs...not really an expansive choke you out quality, but just feels thicker or heavier some how. On another side note, if you search these forums enough, the most AMAZING and OUTRAGEOUS purple strains in MY opinion are those that also produce a purple resin head or have purple veins in the capitate stalk...makes for such LOVELY photos...and who doesn't like actual purple hash? Not going to say it is stronger, because in my experience the purples do not usually have the sheer potency of "regular" phenos, and MANY MANY of the most elite smokers avoid them simply because the excess pigmentation means it is not as clean burning a flower... But I can't say for certain if there is anything to that or if some heads have just gotten to snobby. ;)

All in all...purple when it is legitimate as the result of genetic influence, RATHER than environmental conditioning, is a truly an enjoyable experience!

dank.Frank

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
just a genetic trait. I have heard a lot of people say that most purple weed lacks in potency.

I think it really is just up to interpretation. If you like it, that is really all that matters. I personally could give two shits about it...but there are others who go crazy for the stuff.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
The way I learned it back 30+ years ago it just the plant going though it's finale life cycle. Like when the trees change colors in Autumn in the fall. Plain and simple some plants just change different colors as Martha Stewart says "It's A Good Thing"

HueJass

Because "purple" is really a pigment, it does have a particular taste. IF you have ever smoked a bud that has not been properly dried and is a bit moist still, you can actually taste a "green" taste...a young immature taste...essentially that is the remaining chlorophyll let in the plant you are tasting. Well, purple plants have a pigment that is present and it changes the actual taste of the flowers, even when properly dried. This "purple" taste is often described as a darker, deeper flavor, sometimes a little floral and slightly sweet but at the same time remaining some how musky.

Frank, great description of the taste, very on point. Purple buds definitely have a unique taste and also I find that they all have similar characteristics in smell. I'm using GDP, Urkle, and Purple Head Knocker for comparison. I personally love it, but green still wins in my book.

I

Iron_Lion

My blueberry turns purple and has kick ass potency and tastes de-ricious

This sour kush turns purple and has some kick ass potency

This Satori turned pinkish purple and was pretty damn strong.

This Landslide turned purple and was very potent too

I guess there are exceptions to every rule.

WelderDan

Veteran
I think Dank.Frank nailed it. Purple is pretty, makes for nice bag appeal, and has a taste that many find enjoyable. It makes for nice bud shots, but honestly, it just another color.

Cool Moe

Veteran
This sour bubble went into the jar yesterday. It's the only one out of four that turned purple, all under the exact same conditions. It's stickier and stinkier than any plant I've ever grown, like nothing I have seen before, just solid goo.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
There are several different types of pigments in plants that protect them from harmful radioactive sunrays just like we do. The purple comes from Carotenoids which are accessory pigments and is what give plants their "fall" colors. Some plants gentically have more carotenoids than others. There is a very diverse genetic pool in cannabis so some varaieties exhibit this coloring easily and other need lower night time temperatures. I would assume that the purple traits come from the indicas since they are used to seeing much lower temperatures than the equatorial sativas, not to say that a sativa cant purple, but it less likely to do it naturally without lower night time temps.

EDIT: Did some more research(Thanks The iD) and its not Carotenoids but Flavinoids that make the purple color. Carotenoids make red, yellow and orange. I assumed that a mixture of different pigments made the purple color, like red and blue make purple hehe.

Last edited:
I am not so sure about the color being from climate changing at the end of the cycle. I grow outdoors and by september my nights are downright cold. with minor frost inevitable. I grow females with purple stamins/pistils whatever their called and my greenery NEVER changes to purple. I believe it has to be inherent to the strain first before such changes happen. but I may be wrong.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
When it comes down 2 it IMO..Purple can only fetch so much ...regardless of how good it is ...out here purple has a bad label ..even if its the shit ..once they see purple they dont want it bc of the bad experience they had b4 ..in 2003 purple was the shit ..now its jus shit 2 most..Times are forever changing

First off purple pigmentation is not something a strain always exhibits. I have grown many strains that have turned purple and the vast majority of these can be grown under different circumstances without even a hint of color (besides green). Two huge influencing factors seem to be temp and nutrients. Cold temps and letting the plant use up all of the nutrients in the soil adds a lot of color sometimes to just the leaves, sometimes to just the bud, and sometimes all over. I also have grown a landrace sativa that would turn purple no matter what. However it is so purple that it always looks black when cured. That shit it just nuts it doesn't have the "purple taste" like most all purple buds do but the potency was astonishing. I can't ever get it to taste like anything except hay but i swear it will make you hear colors and see sounds.:blowbubbles:
Any how purple coloring can come in a variety of potencies and the color itself seems to have little to no effect on potency. So don't link all purple weed together you never do that with green weed (i've smoked some pretty shitty weed that was green as hell). Also i should note that with the strains that usually finish green but can finish purple i've noticed no differene in potency. But definetley a diff. smell and taste.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I grew tons of purple strains over the last couple years, and I agree with pretty much everything DankFrank said. Not to be a dick, but I find that african-americans tend to really like the purples and I'm told they pay out the ass for purps in some spots. I too, think that potency suffers slightly and yield suffers a bit with most purple strains.

The only one of my ~7 purple strains I actually kept was Purple Gorilla, it's Fucking incredible X BC Big Bud and has a wonderful smell, is relatively potent and yields like a mofo. gotta keep searching out those holy grail strains!

TruthOrLie

Veteran
There was a medicinal club that opened downtown just before many shops were forced shut, "the purps" it was called. Supposedly the owner of the club "invented" or "introduced" purple strains, so they claimed. Also they claimed everything they sold was purple.

I go in there and they're showing me the goods and telling me this is "purple og" "purple daywreck" "purple bubba" yadda yadda yadda.

None of these buds even looked purple. They looked good, but not purple.

I took my free 8th and never went back.

Its not that I was looking for purple, just the fact they were calling them purple and they weren't I felt like I was getting hustled somehow.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I grew tons of purple strains over the last couple years, and I agree with pretty much everything DankFrank said. Not to be a dick, but I find that african-americans tend to really like the purples and I'm told they pay out the ass for purps in some spots. I too, think that potency suffers slightly and yield suffers a bit with most purple strains.

The only one of my ~7 purple strains I actually kept was Purple Gorilla, it's Fucking incredible X BC Big Bud and has a wonderful smell, is relatively potent and yields like a mofo. gotta keep searching out those holy grail strains!

Not 2 be a dick but i am african american :) ...And i Dislike purple ..as a matter of fact ..Im only smoking it bc i have no choice ..This is a good thread ..As ive been "stuck" with a good amount of purple for like 3 weeks ..smh..

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
EDIT: Did some more research(Thanks The iD) and its not Carotenoids but Flavinoids that make the purple color. Carotenoids make red, yellow and orange. I assumed that a mixture of different pigments made the purple color, like red and blue make purple hehe.

Ya, the purple color comes from anthocynanins.

Anthocyanins (also anthocyans; from Greek: ἀνθός (anthos) = flower + κυανός (kyanos) = blue) are water-soluble vacuolar pigments that may appear red, purple, or blue according to pH. They belong to a parent class of molecules called flavonoids synthesized via the phenylpropanoid pathway; they are odorless and nearly flavorless, contributing to taste as a moderately astringent sensation. Anthocyanins occur in all tissues of higher plants, including leaves, stems, roots, flowers, and fruits. Anthoxanthins are their clear, white to yellow counterparts occurring in plants. Anthocyanins are derivatives of anthocyanidins which include pendant sugars.

As for smoking purple buds, basically what dank.frank said, especially the 'heavier' smoke feel.

T

theJointedOne

its not your race that makes you want purple, its your preference.

i really have to disagree that all purple tastes the same. Im not sure how that came to be fact on this thread but ive had many diff flavors or purples some from cold some from genetics.

but hey too each there own, just my 2 cents

i actually like certain strains that happen to be purple, but the eye appeal is just part of a whole package

Latest posts

Latest posts