What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

dottore

.... Have a good day and take it one day at a time.
hey mate, i really appreciate your post here. for me you´re describing the desire "not to wanna feel" really exactly. and frankly, i felt some moist in my eyes when i was reading your post. maybe cuz i´m recognizing some similar patterns.
best to you my friend! take care of yourself and thx for your words.
dottore

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I'm not an alcoholic, but I've had a good portion of my life driven downhill tolerating a couple of them. I hope anyone who is trying to recover has the most success with it. Alcoholism is the most selfish disease in a lot of cases....and usually does just as much damage to the people who love the addict. You have to do it for yourself, then the people you love. Good luck to anyone out there who's in recovery, thinking about recovery....or constantly recovering, lol. Keep trying...there are people who love you and want better for you.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
im proud of you young tree, and i believe in you. there is nothing you cant do if you put your mind to it.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Hi I'm Hap, and I'm an alchoholic. Took my first drink at 42, and found a novel way to quit six year later, I died of alcohol poisoning. Best place to die is the er, I was lucky me brother got me there before I cashed out.

There is no one way to quit, just do whatever seems to work for you. Sober from booze for 8 years, and I do not miss my eyes feeling like they were bleeding every morning at all. Good luck to all, but don't rely on luck.
H

Hello, My name is Homer Simpson; I am a grateful alcoholic. I have been sober for 6 years now. (10/13/04) Happy Birthday Me!!!

Young trees- Awesome work man. Take it one day at a time.

Mule420- Best thing you can do it just quit. See the doctor if you have been drinking for a really long time. Would hate to lose someone to DT.

To the people who say that AA is a bad place and the people are the problem. I must remind you. "Principles before Personalities". I agree people whine and bitch in AA meetings. But in every meeting you go to. You will be able to carry away something that will help keep you sober longer. It might only be one sentence from a person. But if you aren't there to get the message, its not the delivery persons fault.

Keep Coming back it Works.

Last edited:

CurbsideService

Quit Alcohol - Support Thread

I quit drinking over 4 years ago, the best decision I ever made, was very easy to do when I was ready and commited to quitting. Best of luck to you and all trying to stop!

Third Day! No alcohol for me, did think about going to a brewery though out of instinct ahha
No way, and these are the hardest moments I think, it's almost like a lifestyle change, no more going down to a brewery to check out what 40 or so beers and ales are on tap, the Russian River, Ballast Point, Stone, Lagunitas, Sierra NEvada..mm IPAs, no more drinking and risking DUIs, the subconscious anxiety of killing someone drunk while driving drunk and going to jail forever, the drunken arguments, the confusion, hangovers, numbed sex, and brain getting pickled...no more for me!

The support here is amazing, the feedback and stories are so cool and inspiring thank you so much, it makes it a bit easier. Today I had rootbeer with dinner ahah, it would have been like a Stella with dinner and 2 Sculpin IPAs at least...probably finishing with a $3.25 Sierra Nevada tall boy..Geez..I had a coin collection of quarters just to buy beer on days when I had no cash Doh! Coming here gives me one more good incentive to continue.
Today I went to the collective store, bought a Private Reserve OG (Fire OG) and a Grandaddy Purple 8th that is sweet grapey smoothness..Grow is on day 30, and life is good.

I feel like I am ready to live, like weight off my shoulders. If I drink I'm cheating on my wife, my kids, and myself. Unconditional love only comes when we love ourselves first and the first step is to cut out abuse to our bodies, I'm convinced. Alcohol is a road of confusion, anger and disease. Edibles will definitely be a part of my treatment, when I crave hard, and I know that day will come, I'll make some strong medicated brownies to calm my body and deal with the urges.

I heard this ghetto song on the radio today ahaha, what up stan, naw LMFAO!!!, I had to pay close attention to the words and almost changed the station because I'm not a fan of eminems latest stuff, but the words are cool, I left the finger on the dial and didn't change the station, then I remembered this thread! Very Cool!-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s&ob=av2e

I'm not afraid to take a stand
Everybody come take my hand
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you're not alone
Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road

(Intro)

Yeah, It's been a ride...
I guess I had to go to that place to get to this one
Now some of you might still be in that place
If you're trying to get out, just follow me
I'll get you there......

(Bridge)

And I just can't keep living this way
So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage
I'm standing up, Imma face my demons
I'm manning up, Imma hold my ground
I've had enough, now I'm so fed up
Time to put my life back together right now

(Verse 3)

It was my decision to get clean, I did it for me
Admittedly I probably did it subliminally for you
So I could come back a brand new me, you helped see me through
And don't even realise what you did, believe me you
I been through the ringer, but they can do little to the middle finger
I think I got a tear in my eye, I feel like the king of
My world, haters can make like bees with no stingers, and drop dead
No more beef flingers, no more drama from now on, I promise
To focus soley on handling my responsibility's as a father
So I solemnly swear to always treat this roof like my daughters and raise it
You couldn't lift a single shingle on it
Cause the way I feel, I'm strong enough to go to the club
Or the corner pub and lift the whole liquor counter up
Cause I'm raising the bar, I shoot for the moon
But I'm too busy gazing at stars, I feel amazing and

I'm not afraid to take a stand
Everybody come take my hand
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you're not alone
Holla if you feel that you've been down the same road

Good Job man. Haven't drank for three days. One at a time. I like the cheating analogy you are using for yourself. And remember first and for most it has to be for you. The day you start doing it for your wife before yourself is the day you drink. And be careful with the war stories. Be for you know it, you could be 5 or 6 beers in before you realize you started drinkin again. Think of all those good times and great beers can be a huge trigger. After six years my favorite heffe still can cross my lips any time I want. can feel it slide down into the belly if I really want to.

Two-Dogs

I really have to stop reading threads like this as every time I read one I feel like getting drunk, yesterday I started reading the first post and before I had even finished the first sentence I was in the car on my way to the bottleshop to get myself 12 cans of rasberry and vodka alcopops. Right now Im hung over have had my silver surfer on all day and still havent had a pipe.
I dont drink everyday, hardly ever anymore, maybe once every couple of months, used to be the biggest alcy ever.
I know so many so called alcoholics stop their wanton behaviour and still be able to drink a couple here and there, sometimes get a bit tipsy, and not continue. Drugs affect ppl diffrently and have also seen the same amount of alco ppl not be able to control their alcohol or their behaviour when drunk.

I try to be without alcohol until christmas(then have some red wine and beer in christmas dinner). Mainly because I try to cut all excess calories from my diet. Also easier to control munchies, because alcohol seems to boost my appetite greatly.

Astaroth

Hi :tiphat:

Wich you to succeed Herbal extasy ;)

I frequently say to myself that I should stop drinking, but it's too good :D

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I was an alcoholic since about 16, started drinkin at 13, by 19 was drinkin forties every mornin and whatever id get my hands on, then it was all hard liquor from about 22 on. Id realize i need to stop so go a couple days then slowly pick it up again till i was out of control again. I decided a month ago I had to stop when I got drunk as hell, cussed everybody out, then drove home pushin the car as fast as it would go in n outa lanes on the freeway with one eye closed so I wouldnt see double. I woke up the next morning n it was my moms birthday whom passed when I was 8 n I kinda lost it. havent had a drink, smoked a cigarette, or even some weeds since then. The weed I was only gonna stop for a month but the rest Im done with. that was the 19, on sunday Ill be able to smoke tree again.

Propagate

stay true Get Mo!

when I gave up alcohol, my appreciation for the plant increased tremendously. I remember what it's like to have alcohol rage brother, and it got me in trouble alot too. A few major events past should have convinced me to quit ALOT earlier than 6 months ago, but I didn't listen/learn.

now to share a close story...

my Father who is now 54 and diabetic, is also an alcoholic. Looking back, I believe his use was a major trigger for my use. Our purchases of alcohol even coincided with one another.

He denies he's an alcoholic. He drinks 4-5 a weekday, 8-12 beers on weekend days pretty consistently. I have done everything in my power, even showing/talking to him my successes alcohol-free, displayed in my improved health and mental health.

I have shared all the statistics about long term alcohol use, liver breakdown, killing good bacteria in your body, among hundreds of other risks.

The stubborn man wont listen to me. I love my father and this is killing me, seeing him killing himself.

About 2 years ago I lost a dear friend's father to alcoholism/diabetes. I see the same coming for my father.

He tells me, "It's my crutch". Should I just let it go?

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
stay true Get Mo!

when I gave up alcohol, my appreciation for the plant increased tremendously. I remember what it's like to have alcohol rage brother, and it got me in trouble alot too. A few major events past should have convinced me to quit ALOT earlier than 6 months ago, but I didn't listen/learn.

now to share a close story...

my Father who is now 54 and diabetic, is also an alcoholic. Looking back, I believe his use was a major trigger for my use. Our purchases of alcohol even coincided with one another.

He denies he's an alcoholic. He drinks 4-5 a weekday, 8-12 beers on weekend days pretty consistently. I have done everything in my power, even showing/talking to him my successes alcohol-free, displayed in my improved health and mental health.

I have shared all the statistics about long term alcohol use, liver breakdown, killing good bacteria in your body, among hundreds of other risks.

The stubborn man wont listen to me. I love my father and this is killing me, seeing him killing himself.

About 2 years ago I lost a dear friend's father to alcoholism/diabetes. I see the same coming for my father.

He tells me, "It's my crutch". Should I just let it go?

Only if you think you can live with the consequences of giving up.

Stay strong :joint:

Peace

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
My grandma is 84 and she refuses to stop drinkin, it has fucked up her memory so bad that now she has dementia. my aunt now poors non alcoholic beers into the real beer bottles. people would say she was always mean when she would get drunk, but I was always drunk with her so I always thought it was funny, she'd basically be brutally honest, I used to love gettin drunk n smokin with my grandma, now I wish she had her short term memory back.
I really think alcohol has fucked up my memory too, I cant remember shit. I ran into a good friend from when I was in school and couldnt even remember his name.... he got the same name as a beer, was a good friend I knew in second grade-high school, and his mom worked at the school, and I couldnt remember it for shit. this has happened a lot, forgeting good friends names aint cool.
Ive been extremely lucky drinking and driving..... cant count how many times I had one eye closed doing 90 on the freeway. got pulled over about 4 times lightweight drunk and never got a dui.... Another reason to quit while Im ahead. Id hate to live with killing someone while drunk driving, or killing myself.

Stay strong Get Mo!! We are here to talk if at ever at all you are feeling weak! From your post I see you have some genuine inner strength inside of you, keep on using it I have faith you can succeed!!

Way To Go Mo!!!!!!! 30 days is really tough. Be very careful on day 30. I know you are going to smoke it up. Just be really watchful that you dont get stoned and think how wonderful a beer is. When I quit drinking six years ago I ended up going about 5 months with out much smoke. I think it was good for me to get some decent time under my belt before I started messing with my mind again. But only you can really judge that.

Latest posts

Latest posts