What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600W Sweet Tooth #3 monocropping.

blackone

Veteran
For the first time ever I'm performing a true monocrop grow - hoping to get closer to 1 g/W than I've ever been.
The subject is my champion pheno Swt#3, 20 plants that were given a good veg and have had their first night of 12/12. July 18 (yesterday) they woke up to day 1 of flower.

How I trimmed them - not a total lollypop but I did take 68 clones from these 20 plants. Most will be going outside.
I have a feeling I could trim even more off but I'll leave it like this.
Pots are 6.5 liters - I wanted to get my hands on some 11 liters because I could easily fit 20 of those and they would give me a lot more rootspace. I'll make up for it by topdressing and being careful not to let them dry out (Like I have done so many times before).
picture.php

Room:
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
Just a couple of pics 2 days later again - I'm trying to document this pretty often.
So far so good - nothing that looks disappointing.

picture.php

I think I see growth... kinda got the individual plants mixed up so hard to follow exactly.
picture.php

I guess it's time to go into more detail about the start too.
The cuts that are now flowering were taken from the last crop shortly before initiating flower - so 9 weeks ago or so.
After rooting in jiffy pellets they were vegged for a couple of weeks in a single tray - then moved to 13 cm pots and vegged for a good month. After moving the 20 plants to the 6.5 liters pots and the 600W they were given a weeks veg or so.

blackone

Veteran
Thanks - not sure I would really call this a SOG, since these plants have been vegged quite a bit.
Most even canopy I've ever had though.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That is a nice looking canopy you've got there. I hope you do hit 1 gram/watt.

-Funk

blackone

Veteran
1 week update

1 week update

Thanks - me too man.
Canopy 1 week in
picture.php

What I think is my reference plant - from now it will be.
picture.php

And my plan for the next batch. Trying to get enough clones in time from a good dsd pheno - put it in a 6.5L pot a few days ago and started LST today. Deadline for taking clones is 2 weeks from now so it will have to grow fast but I think the large pot (Largest I ever used for vegging a mother so far has been 3.5L) will make it.
Hoping next grow will be a dsd monocrop - if not then I have enough swt#3 clones but I'm hoping to put those outside for some late flower minis.
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
11 days 12/12

11 days 12/12

So.. the room 11 days in. Not much to say... I think it looks pretty promising but then again so did the last grow that only gave me 0.5 g/w... won't get my hopes up quite yet.
picture.php

Sure signs of flowering now.
picture.php

Reference plant - added a spoon so I know how to turn it for the photos. No need for a strain tag because I'm monocropping:)
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
Thanks - not my idea with the spoons though. They're quite a bit cheaper than real tags and a lot better than homemade.

blackone

Veteran
Day 14

Day 14

2 weeks under - 5-6 weeks to go.
Flowering seems to come on pretty fast - have to look back and see if it's any faster than the other times I grew this one. Still a so far so good - yesterdays watering was unfortunately 8 hours late or so (I normally water in the evening - had to wait until the early morning instead because I fell asleep when reading a story for my daughter... plants were looking very thirsty with a few drooping leaves. I hope this didn't cause any harm - my main yield killer in the past has been forgotten waterings. This mornings case was nothing compared to what I've put them through in the past though so I think it's safe as long as I don't forget it any more.
Perhaps I should do something about topdressing with some fresh soil - that should work wonders for water capacity even if the roots won't grow into it.
Perked up pretty fast - tonight everything looks fine.
picture.php

Reference plant - I'll probably make a presentation of the development later in flower when it really gets obvious something is happening.
picture.php

DSD LST experiment with my motherplant.
I think it's growing pretty well - 1 or 2 weeks from now I hope to cut clones from her.
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
Thanks people. I've been looking through my old grows - kinda miss having various strains growing but I don't miss the trouble of having different feeding schedules, hermas, poor performing phenos, removing males etc etc...
I've finally committed myself to making that play-cab I always wanted to have. It's probably only gonna be a 250W but that should do for playing around I think - would allow me to try out quite a few things.

I don't know for sure if the next round in the 600W cab will be soil or dwc... soil is so simple and the only investment is fresh soil (I use a normal planting soil with no perlite at all) and nutes. No biggie. The money is better spent on the playcab I think.
So... the question is what to grow... Still not sure either if I'll be doing swt#3 or dsd in the 600W room. I only know that it's gonna be yet another monocrop.
Probably gonna be dsd because the swt#3 clones might be able to finish outdoors and I do have some holes in my good outdoor spot after removing males.
For the playcab I could of course toss in some swt#3 clones for a quick harvest but I also have some other nice phenos of various strains that haven't been tested enough. In the future I want to grow out some female seeds grapefruit*swt#3 beans I made - hoping to find a male in those.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
look real good...its a nice setup

do u gonna chop the the upper part of ur plant in week3 to get some big colas??

blackone

Veteran
Day 17

Day 17

Not sure I understand the question? I don't understand why chopping those nice buds off will give me bigger buds? Or do you mean am I gonna trim away some more lower shoots? If that's what you mean then no - I'm not gonna touch these plants any more before harvest - might remove a few fan leaves if it gets too crowded but thats it.

Bud:
picture.php

Reference plant:
picture.php

DSD mother - growing pretty well. With a little luck there will be clones to take pretty soon.
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
I've been mourning the loss of my swt#3 male for so long - lost him because he decided to autoflower making me unable to try to stabilize this now "extinct" strain.
BC Buddepot's swt has been considered but I've heard so many bad stories about them - and I don't like the idea of ordering from outside the EU if I can avoid it.

A friend of mine gave me some seeds he said were ISS - Island Sweet Skunk. But they were labeled ISS x cc. I did a little digging and found out that Topskud were indeed distributing ISS x Cotton Candy - labeled as ISS x cc. I'm convinced now that this is what I have... so I did some research.
ISS is supposedly SPG x Big Skunk (Or perhaps SPG x NlxHaze) and Cotton Candy is a swt#3 knockoff according to Steve...
If this is true then this might be a very good bet for something to use as a daddy.
I'll definitely try to grow out these seeds - I'm confident that I'll be able to recognize the swt traits that I love - if I see those in all or most of the females then I know I have something to work with - and a little bit of sativa influence won't hurt a bit. I wouldn't mind having the buds a little longer and more spear-shaped.
Example - this Satori x Swt#3 cross I made and grew one year ago has a really nice stature:
177812008-10-16_0031.jpg

Seeds will be started ASAP!

blackone

Veteran
Day 20 12/12

Day 20 12/12

3 weeks in now. The impatience is rising at this point. Now the stretch phase has really finished.
picture.php

I've been measuring the reference plant. Unfortunately not from the start - only since a few days ago.
Growth has slowed from 1 cm / day (was probably a little faster at some earlier point in the phase) to 3-4mm/day. Any further growth from now on will be mostly bud elongation I believe.
picture.php

No matter how well you think you know a strain I think it's always a mystery trying to guess how big those buds will grow. I don't notice any serious problems yet so I think they're well on their way.
picture.php

And also still hard for me to guess if clones from this mother will be big enough in time.
I should cut them now I guess. to make sure they can veg a little first. Will add some SatoriXswt#3 Pheno 2 if not enough because it has a similar growth pattern. A little more sativa and stretchy than the DSD mother's pheno but also finished in 9 weeks. My previous post shows a pic of that one.
picture.php