What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goodbye to perpetual

put light on timer with fan for air cooling your hood. keep scrubbed exhaust and canopy fans going 24/7.

perpetual is nice to be able to to, i used to do it but don't anymore because i now believe dialed in with everything the same = more weight. it's a little bit extra work needed to go perpetual and i found it getting old real fast. if you are gonna do it, it's a lot easier if you use dry ferts ammended into the medium. then all you really need is some good compost or casting teas and the occasional boost here and there.

blackone

Veteran
My timer only runs the 600W actually - ventilation is running 24/7 and I don't use an air-cooled hood.
Yeah stretch is over now and budbuilding has started - it's starting to look pretty good now. The girls are thirsty now since it's pretty hot atm.

blackone

Veteran
Around day 32 12/12
Gave my girls a bit of water and felt it was time for an update.
Girls are doing ok, could be better:
picture.php

Next grow will be 100% swt - only 20 plants the size of these, because they really like the vegging/topping combo:
picture.php

Closer:
picture.php

My strawberry pheno DSD - actually smells like fresh strawberries:
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
Got my act together and put up the light in the old (small) vegchamber. It's 65*60 cm with 112 or so watts in cfl - a perfect fit for 20 swt#3 clones just repotted to 1.7 liter pots.
I'm pretty sure they'll have a damn good veg here and be ready for a full room under my 600W light in 3 weeks or so. My next grow might very well get me close to the magical 1 g/W if these babies can gain some size in here.
picture.php

My normal vegging chamber is used mostly for plants meant for the great outdoors atm.

Pali

Hi Blackone the garden looks nice and about time u got around to really fight them thrips, best of luck killing off them little buggers.

You should also look into gettning a bat wing reflector, it will benefit your garden and it's not that much to pay for a good improvement.

Dank looking buds on the prev. page, it's some lovely smoke that SWT#3

Keep up the good work mon!

Cheers

blackone

Veteran
Haha thanks for stopping by - actually so far it has been live and let live with the thrips so they're still around, enjoying life as usual;p But at least now it would be possible for me to combat them when I have a stage where nothing is in flower.

Yeah I know a better reflector could probably work wonders - I probably also need to change my bulb soon as I've been using this one for close to a year.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
when it comes to battleing thrips, check out spinosad - shit works like a champ - seems almost inert unless your a thrip and - it's cheap.

blackone

Veteran
when it comes to battleing thrips, check out spinosad - shit works like a champ - seems almost inert unless your a thrip and - it's cheap.
Yeah I've thought about it, for quite some time now:) It's too late to do anything for this grow but perhaps the next one deserves a treatment because they do damage the plants quite a bit.

I'm also thinking about doing something about my soil - I'm using an organic peat based potting soil and not adding any perlite.
It's always like they're missing something with the leaves getting yellow and falling off but I'm pretty sure they're getting the amount of fertilizer they need. Perhaps the PH of the medium is too low or it's simply because it's not airy enough - or perhaps I should find some way of collecting the runoff so I can remove it from the system, maybe some imbalances are accumulating.

I've been considering hydro or coco for such a long time... even bought some of the supplies for bubblers but changed my mind because I saw several experiences growers getting root rot problems - figured I would do better pulling a dependable harvest in soil than risk having serious problems in search of greater yields (better the devil you know)

So sick and tired of pulling out pots to water - coco sounds promising because I would just have to keep check on EC and PH in a reservoir instead of watering individual plants. Oh yeah and I hate getting rid of 150-200 liters of soil every second month...

Next grow will be soil again though, because the clones are already vegging in pots.

Pretty torn on the subject...

blackone

Veteran
Many of my pots have 2 plants in them. It's working out pretty well - only a few have very uneven sizes and those were the clones that were uneven when going in. Most look like this or better:
picture.php

A relatively short and somewhat fat bud on top with thumb-sized nuggets below. Due to the compactness of swt#3 there might be some weight in this still - can fit 30 pots like that under the light.

I like this kind of plant more though - swt#3 again, same clone, vegged well and topped:
picture.php

It grows several colas like this:
picture.php

and this:
picture.php

I can fit 20 like that under the lights.
And that's why I have this vegging now:
picture.php

7 days of vegging progress, it's going somewhere I think:
picture.php

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Seed runs in a perpetual sounds like a recipe for disaster... the plants in later stages will be full of immature seeds... I have occasionally dusted a few buds without having problems with stray pollen though.

As for 24/7 crime... perpetual is actually best here because you never have a room full of mature plants + a full batch of clones ready to take their place.

Next grow I'm really hoping to be able to move away from soil. I'm planning on a recirculating system with 4 dwc tubs connected to a reservoir. These will hold 4 or 6 plants each for a total of 16 or 24 plants - I'm not sure on the number yet because I'm unsure of how much bigger they'll get in hydro. I already have the pumps - all I need now is to go out and buy some nice tubs I found + nutes, netpots and hydroton.

Right now I'm having heat issues in the veg thing. I'm down to 4 plants vegging. three are looking hopeful. One may be too badly burned to save. In flower there are 5 plants. 3 ready to harvest. 2 ready 8-7-08. And drying is about 1.6 ounces. My State doesn't discriminate by maturity.

My point was that it doesn't matter what time it is, or where I'm at. Growing pot in this State is a crime, and since I always have plants at some stage, I'm always growing pot. Compare that to it doesn't matter what time it is, if I'm not in possession of pot, I'm not committing a crime.

Damn, I'm good.

blackone

Veteran
Right now I'm having heat issues in the veg thing. I'm down to 4 plants vegging. three are looking hopeful. One may be too badly burned to save. In flower there are 5 plants. 3 ready to harvest. 2 ready 8-7-08. And drying is about 1.6 ounces. My State doesn't discriminate by maturity.

My point was that it doesn't matter what time it is, or where I'm at. Growing pot in this State is a crime, and since I always have plants at some stage, I'm always growing pot. Compare that to it doesn't matter what time it is, if I'm not in possession of pot, I'm not committing a crime.

Damn, I'm good.

True - where I'm at plant numbers aren't much of a concern.
Weight - and if they want to rape you also potency because they can sentence you based on the equivalent of commercial bad hash based on thc level - is what matters.

A full room harvested and drying, the new flowering batch AND clones getting ready for the next go is a worst case scenario. They might be able to sentence you for 3 harvests at one time.

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
just love what i see and yes, phils erdpurt wears heavy smaller buds

blackone

Veteran
Thanks man. Those last pics aren't Phil's erdpurt though, they're Swt#3 - the first plant I grew indoors under hps and still my favorite that I keep returning to even if I find so many distinct qualities in most everything I grow.

Gonna try a few clones outside this year and see how they do - I saw someone finishing swt#3 around Moscow so it might be possible to get it somewhat done here too.