What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor strains that finish in September?

Hashishh

Hey folks, I'm in the planning stage of this year's outdoor grow. I'm gonna be doing a trial run this year as the season is short in the area. The last frost is generally first week of June and first frost around the first week of Sept. Give or take a week or two.

I've been asking local growers and most tell me it just can't be done in the area without light depping or flowering indoors and placing plants outside in July.

We generally get a few frosts during September with night time temps around the 5°c mark until October when we start getting into sub-zero temps and start getting the odd snowfall.
Frost and mold resistance are definitely priority in this case as we get a bit of rain in August.

Strains I've been looking at are Texada crosses by Peak Seeds, his Texada x Northern Lights is done around mid September if I'm not mistaken.

I remember a strain called Guerilla Gold #5 I've been looking for but can't find seeds anywhere.

I've got a few autoflower seeds as freebies laying around I'm going to give those a try but I've been staying away from them as I've been told the potency just isn't there with autos.

Any suggestions? For you's growing in climates similar to mine, I wanna get schooled on this.

Thanks in advance! :greenstars:

go to finnish side of icmag those guys have good looking summer plants. climate should be about same. some of them are growing autos like colorado cookies they got ready and mold free. :tiphat:

beanja

go to finnish side of icmag those guys have good looking summer plants. climate should be about same. some of them are growing autos like colorado cookies they got ready and mold free. :tiphat:
You waited along time to make that 1 post ... you waited 14 mos. to make1 post and it was to reply to that ... wtf ? lol

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Hey folks, I'm in the planning stage of this year's outdoor grow. I'm gonna be doing a trial run this year as the season is short in the area. The last frost is generally first week of June and first frost around the first week of Sept. Give or take a week or two.

I've been asking local growers and most tell me it just can't be done in the area without light depping or flowering indoors and placing plants outside in July.

We generally get a few frosts during September with night time temps around the 5°c mark until October when we start getting into sub-zero temps and start getting the odd snowfall.
Frost and mold resistance are definitely priority in this case as we get a bit of rain in August.

Strains I've been looking at are Texada crosses by Peak Seeds, his Texada x Northern Lights is done around mid September if I'm not mistaken.

I remember a strain called Guerilla Gold #5 I've been looking for but can't find seeds anywhere.

I've got a few autoflower seeds as freebies laying around I'm going to give those a try but I've been staying away from them as I've been told the potency just isn't there with autos.

Any suggestions? For you's growing in climates similar to mine, I wanna get schooled on this.

Thanks in advance! :greenstars:

Location? Makes a big difference. Just because you have September frost, doesn't mean it'll die. I grew gg4 and the cold brought out colors that rivaled maples. I had Swazi that finally started to show damage after a cold October and 4 or 5 hard frosts so I harvested. They could have used another couple weeks, but they still kick like an angry mule.

I plant all sorts and hope for the occasional times we get heat until Christmas. But I have my own seeds so I plant hundreds outside starting 3rd week in May and finish my late starts (autos) in July.

If my optimism and Hope's ever turn out, I'll be fucked because I'll never be able to harvest it all. Lol. (Actually, fresh buds will end up in a freezer for winter hash).

Look at seeds that say 7,8,9 or 10 weeks and you should be good. I'd even go 11 or 12 if they we extras.

rolandomota

No experience but Beanhoarder Freeze crosses and ace auto Malawi northern lights, erdpurt. The auto Malawi x nl I think would be the better yielder

Dankwolf

Frozen buds lol.

Frozen buds lol.

I just started doing out door a few years ago and I have found a lot of strains can Handel a frost / freeze or 2 with out issue . I had one plant last year that the buds froze solid and thawed with several times with out issue .

Hashishh

Location? Makes a big difference. Just because you have September frost, doesn't mean it'll die. I grew gg4 and the cold brought out colors that rivaled maples. I had Swazi that finally started to show damage after a cold October and 4 or 5 hard frosts so I harvested. They could have used another couple weeks, but they still kick like an angry mule.

I plant all sorts and hope for the occasional times we get heat until Christmas. But I have my own seeds so I plant hundreds outside starting 3rd week in May and finish my late starts (autos) in July.

If my optimism and Hope's ever turn out, I'll be fucked because I'll never be able to harvest it all. Lol. (Actually, fresh buds will end up in a freezer for winter hash).

Look at seeds that say 7,8,9 or 10 weeks and you should be good. I'd even go 11 or 12 if they we extras.

Central Ontario, a little more North. For the sake of argument I'll say the city of Timmins would be a very similar climate.

Even my Northern Light x Blueberry wouldn't finish in that climate. It really should be done by the second week of September. Gets pretty cold that time of year. I'm hoping I'll have a greenhouse set up for the following summer however which should push me into Oct. I just wanna get some info and opinions together to decide what I should do.

I've even been looking at some mephisto autos. They seem to be leading the autoflower industry.

That's a fantastic idea but unfortunately the language barrier is holding me back a bit. I flipped through some of the threads and I've gotta say wow those guys know how to grow some weed lol. I'll take it very grows a bit more popular across the pond than here.

No experience but Beanhoarder Freeze crosses and ace auto Malawi northern lights, erdpurt. The auto Malawi x nl I think would be the better yielder

I've been looking at some of his gear. Through lots of reading I've got a mixed feeling on whether or not to grab some. I was interested in his Black Widow heritage strains for breeding purposes but noticed he had a lot of freezeland crosses which I haven't seen in years.

I just started doing out door a few years ago and I have found a lot of strains can Handel a frost / freeze or 2 with out issue . I had one plant last year that the buds froze solid and thawed with several times with out issue .

Link to a,expansive list of early strains .

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=303368

There's a few strains that'll take some light frosts but September out there is a bit of a dice roll. You could get a light frost, -2 or so or you could get a heavy frost of -10 with some snow. Hell even some years we'll have snow on the ground for a couple days.

I went through that list and I've gotta say that's a valuable piece of information. Lots of strains I've been curious about.

I think I'm gonna play it by ear, I'll grab another pack of fem autos and probably start picking 2 or 3 strains from that list that I'd like to work with. The Papaya was one I tried getting seeds for before but they were sold out, the wife heard its good for cramps but doesn't lay you out.

Thanks for that!

Other than that keep em coming! The more info the better!:canabis:

How many are around that area growing outdoors? There must be someone on the forums.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ok. Timmins is pretty north. You should be able to start any autos by popping seeds 1st week in may and move them outdoor 1st week of june. If you start your autos in larger peat pots, you can put them directly in the ground to avoid stressing them.

Put your peat pots in a tray and water from the bottom so the pot wicks up the water.

browntrout

Veteran
Tough one, the further north the longer the breeders harvest date becomes in my experience.

The earliest strains I've worked with have been local or my own creations. Guerrilla Gold would be my starting point for photo period / semi-photo period, clones usually shave a week from seed plants as well. The freezeland is a good choice for mid September but I wouldn't get it hybridized with anything other than an outdoor strain. I grew lots of freeze x indoor hybrids and most come in late September/Early Oct. I grew a few beanhoarder crosses including Freezeland x God Bud outdoors and was not impressed, no smell or flavor and he marked it as a "one for the flavor freaks" which I can see as I've had extremely flavorful expressions out of others GB and FL. They grew to be expected, FL buds with lanky GB frame. Perhaps his indoor environment seems to breed poor smelling outdoor plants.

If you have the money, I'd get a Guerrilla Gold, pure freeze, An Auto Indica Line and an auto Sativa-hybrid (Amnesia XXL maybe, or auto malawiNL as (Rolando said) and start there. The sativa-hybrid line will take some getting used to but will allow you to have larger plants if you can time it right.

Secondary considerations, Iranian Autoflower (Semi-Auto) - Bushbros had freebies of this, R2, KC33 Fem (i had a freebie a few years ago that finished first week of sept. and was very indy dom)

Good luck!

I've been to Timmins a few times, she's nice in the summer but does it ever get cold as you know.

clearheaded

if can find if nirvana still uses that top44 is some outdoor crosses. early durban could be pretty close finish if have a good teenager in may. ie manitoba poison.

timewarp mighty mite freezeland friesland gorillagold#3 hybrids from hell is prob best bet for dif var. herijuana is suppost to be early flower outdoors as comes from an outdoor line. mandala has some var that should work? dif genetics which is cool too. and of course there is alot of "semi auto" or fast versions available in alot of varities which should work aswell! maroccan lebanese i think some of the early flowerers are based off of along with other quick nld african var.

Others havent mentioned its not only time of flower, but triggering of flowering. that is more important as 7-9 is all pretty close but starting to bud a few weeks before another makes a big dif. some are more suseptable to light change. NLD tend to be however they tend to flower longer so some have been bred with that genetic trait with shorter flowering time ;) from my undertanding but have to talk to the breeder..

Hashishh

Does anyone have experience with Fast Outdoor Genetics (FOG)? Their Early Funk is listed as a late August finisher, which seems appealing to me. Manitoba Poison by Great White North seems interesting as well being finished by early September.

I may just have to jump on a few strains and draw my own conclusions.

Hopefully with the winter we're having it'll be a late start to next winter.

Hashishh

Well I sprung and bought a pack of the Early Funk and a pack of the Manitoba Poison. I've also got a few White Widow autos hanging around collecting dust I'll have to germ as well.

Going to be an even busier spring/summer. Can't wait. I'll have to do some scouting during March and April and get some holes dug and soil mixed.

Hashishh

Wondering if anyone has experience acclimatizing strains outdoors? After much reading I'm planning an experiment of sorts..

I'd like to acclimatize a strain to our particularly short season (First week of June to first week of Sept). Say start the plants indoors for a month to get them sexually mature and place them outdoors in plots of say 4 per. Allow them to open pollinate and harvest the seeds of the most resin covered and earliest girls, even if not 100% done. Repeat again the year after and so on and so forth.

Now in theory this strain would eventually adapt to the early season and become earlier and earlier up until the plants are adapted to the environment and finish on time, correct? Or would they only adapt so far as to be able to produce mature seeds rather?

The issues I've read that arise from something like this is a decreased production in THC as the plants adapt more towards survival and less towards THC production.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever done such a thing in a climate where growing pot is nearly impossible other than autoflowering varieties?

I've also been thinking of crossing strains with autoflower/ruderalis strains. I know the offspring don't become autoflower by nature but I believe they do become photosensitive, no? With selective breeding could one breed out most of the autoflowers and breed in a photo sensitive type strain that would trigger flower at the first sign of days becoming shorter?

I've heard DJ Short has a breeding book out that covers some of this but could anyone recommend some literature that goes into depth more on the subject? The science of this is getting more and more intriguing to me.

EDIT: So googling the term photosensitive I realized I'm not using the term properly and wanted to clarify - what I meant by that is a strain that would flower during longer periods of daylight than a typical strain. IE: A strain that would flower in late June just after the solstice rather than late July for example.

Last edited:
Even if it doesn't say it on the package so to speak, I think a lot of the early finishing strains here in Canada have ruderalis or some autoflower traits in them. And that's not a bad thing, that's how they finish as early as they do. I say don't overthink it too much and just start your experiment this spring. And remember that with breeding you can't get everything at once. Start off by doing selections based on finishing time and then look at what pops up in your population. Once you've got something that finishes before Canada turns into a snow bound wasteland, then look at potency, taste or whatever else catches your eye. And good call on the Manitoba Poison, that was the first strain I ever grew almost twenty years ago. And the fact that two made it to the end with my dumb ass 18 year old self at the helm speaks volumes about how tough those genetics are.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wondering if anyone has experience acclimatizing strains outdoors? After much reading I'm planning an experiment of sorts..

I'd like to acclimatize a strain to our particularly short season (First week of June to first week of Sept). Say start the plants indoors for a month to get them sexually mature and place them outdoors in plots of say 4 per. Allow them to open pollinate and harvest the seeds of the most resin covered and earliest girls, even if not 100% done. Repeat again the year after and so on and so forth.

Now in theory this strain would eventually adapt to the early season and become earlier and earlier up until the plants are adapted to the environment and finish on time, correct? Or would they only adapt so far as to be able to produce mature seeds rather?

The issues I've read that arise from something like this is a decreased production in THC as the plants adapt more towards survival and less towards THC production.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever done such a thing in a climate where growing pot is nearly impossible other than autoflowering varieties?

I've also been thinking of crossing strains with autoflower/ruderalis strains. I know the offspring don't become autoflower by nature but I believe they do become photosensitive, no? With selective breeding could one breed out most of the autoflowers and breed in a photo sensitive type strain that would trigger flower at the first sign of days becoming shorter?

I've heard DJ Short has a breeding book out that covers some of this but could anyone recommend some literature that goes into depth more on the subject? The science of this is getting more and more intriguing to me.

EDIT: So googling the term photosensitive I realized I'm not using the term properly and wanted to clarify - what I meant by that is a strain that would flower during longer periods of daylight than a typical strain. IE: A strain that would flower in late June just after the solstice rather than late July for example.

You'll get roughly 25% autos 75% photoperiod. Next generation will be more if you bx or cross again with ruderalis.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Here is a project.
Isolate the hormone that flowering plants emit that causes other nearby plants to flower.
Make it in a easy to use foliar spray
It would be a smoking PGR that no doubt would be banned by AG Can immediately