What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

People are vaping THC. Lung injuries being reported nationwide. Why is the CDC stayin

Mr. J

What are they diluting them with???
The last I heard (yesterday) was that the thing killing people is vitamin e acetate. It's oily and that's what they're cutting the concentrates with. Probably one or two dudes ruining it for everyone, like usual. At least I would like to believe that it's just a few bad apples but it's probably more like a greedy wholesaler, and the poison carts are just the same rebranded crap. I doubt they'll be able to pin it on anyone and we'll all have to deal with the fallout.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
The last I heard (yesterday) was that the thing killing people is vitamin e acetate. It's oily and that's what they're cutting the concentrates with. Probably one or two dudes ruining it for everyone, like usual. At least I would like to believe that it's just a few bad apples but it's probably more like a greedy wholesaler, and the poison carts are just the same rebranded crap. I doubt they'll be able to pin it on anyone and we'll all have to deal with the fallout.
... but this is definitely the point where accountability counts!

Drewsif

State and federal blaming vitamin E. Expedited retail Cannabis research, wow. 15 years ago they were blaming the rat poison and draino that's used by pot cartels to make the marijuanas more potent. It took millions in state funds and years of 6 month investigations to determine that.

Reeder Madness 5.0 All part of a bigger agenda.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
With all the blitz going on and the incredible amount of (mis)information that is everywhere, I have been reading a little and have a question........

THC oil is an antioxidant just like the vitamin E oil. If I read correctly, the lungs are capable of oxidizing a pro-oxidant oil pretty well but not an antioxidant oil.

Also (but not directly related), rosin that is pressed from flowers (less so with dry sift) is full of fats and lipids until/if it is winterized.

I don't know. Maybe I am over speculating or simply don't understand. And, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the current blitz of problems. However, I probably do 50 or more rosin hits a day. Maybe 100 on a good day. It's making me wonder how much vaped fat is in my lungs right now.

I realize it's the same oil we vape/smoke/whatever when we consume standard flowers but the concentration is way less. Most flowers have Myrcene in them as well, but if I take my bottle of Myrcene terps and vape the entire bottle, I am going to be in big fucking trouble. So, concentration does seem to be a viable variable.

I am not having any problems and I'm not saying there's anything more to it than simple logic of a simple mind.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
My best (well, OK, my only) friend is in ICU right now from this. The Drs won't tell me anything and they won't allow any visitors. WTF? As far as I could find out he is on a ventilator to breathe. They won't say whether he is life threatened or not.

Some fucked up shit, man.

White Beard

I took a dip into e-juice/carts, and stopped because I didn’t like the effects of the carriers/components. I know there are plenty who would never notice the key ‘bugs’ I object to, but the point is that it’s made me suspicious of the purity wars themselves. I know there are flavors in the carts I’ve sampled that are not cannabis...but more and more, generic carts are all that’s available (and more wax w/ flower @ $15/g), and that...bothers me. I’ve been hearing questions about additives used to ‘thin’ extract for use in cartridges, specifically about the safety of those thinners, and no one ever seems to know authoritatively, but I would expect that there’s some level of thinning required in order to make carts work with concentrate, and it may be possible there isn’t one to safely do this job. *THIS* is where some real research needs to be done, *all* thinning additives need to be determined either safe or unsafe to use in this fashion.

If carts are ruled unsafe by their nature, will that increase pressure for regularization and decriminalization?

Everything else about this is “how can we blame cannabis/THC?”

The solution(?) , would be to make your own extracts, right?
Whether you dab ‘em, tincture ‘em, butter ‘em, whatever, right?

So ‘pure’ means ‘clean enough’? Or Absolutely Clean

dddaver

Veteran
PERSONALLY, it's beyond me why anyone would mess with concentrates and extracts or carts. You are just looking for problems. Cannabis has been used for centuries but only now these problems crop up? Until there are real scientific results that showing exactly what is happening I'll just continue using flowers.

gmanwho

Veteran
well if anything this may speed up the legalization process so people can gain access to clean smoke.

Friend

Veteran
I only consume cartridges that are 100% unadulterated lab tested hash oil, and i would advise others to be picky enough to do the same. They're harder to find than the mass produced diluted flavored distillate kind, but i don't have to worry about getting sick since they don't have additives or carrier liquids.

dddaver

Veteran
Vapor returns to oil in the lungs....not good by any means.
But neither is inhaling smoke. And I'm sure there are ingredients in eating edibles that are not good for your intestines. I think in any ingestion method there are inherent hazards.

The word on vaporizing flowers is that it is better for your lungs than smoke. That's what I always read anyway. I'm not big on edibles.

I think people are just looking for a least hazardous ingestion method. I thought vaporizing flowers was it for me. Still think that until there is further scientific proof.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every day CDC, Health Departments are getting closer to the known substances causing lung damage.

From my own experience, multiple pulmonary emboli (2011) have caused lung damage. People can die of one blood clot....I had 5.

So, having those in intensive care, on ventilators, I'm hoping whomever, or health agency finds the real root to this health compromising gear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...e26032-ca78-11e9-be05-f76ac4ec618c_story.html

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But neither is inhaling smoke. And I'm sure there are ingredients in eating edibles that are not good for your intestines. I think in any ingestion method there are inherent hazards.

The word on vaporizing flowers is that it is better for your lungs than smoke. That's what I always read anyway. I'm not big on edibles.

I think people are just looking for a least hazardous ingestion method. I thought vaporizing flowers was it for me. Still think that until there is further scientific proof.

Use a Volcano or other type of vape device that does not have oil, glycerin or other synthetic substances to smother the alveoli.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
State and federal blaming vitamin E. Expedited retail Cannabis research, wow. 15 years ago they were blaming the rat poison and draino that's used by pot cartels to make the marijuanas more potent. It took millions in state funds and years of 6 month investigations to determine that.

Reeder Madness 5.0 All part of a bigger agenda.

I 100% fully disagree. People are dying because of the crap the hucksters are pushing.

The PLANT...flowers - never a single injure. These fads create room for shills and crooks - and these people are killing people for money, more or less.

This isn't refer madness. This is an example of us grass roots types REALLY needing to start spreading the word to everyone we know to avoid these carts...

Don't sensationalize it. Refer them to printed media articles discussing the issue. EDUCATE THEM. INFORM THEM.

This isn't the cannabis movements' problem. This is LEGALIZATIONS' problem. This is what happens when you ask government to regulate something. People die. Then they restrict your rights to keep you safe. Then they tax you to justify you needing their help and costing them money.

This is something we ultimately brought on ourselves by allowing anyone with a check book into our isolated counter culture. A culture which previously believed in self accountability and communal accountability.

Now we just give a thumbs up to whoever has the biggest grow room, like that is still some sort of relevant metric. It isn't any longer...

dank.Frank

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I won't vape any e-pens or any of the other things that use a concentrate mixed with chemical...
In fact, I won't even toke concentrates, because of the chemicals that were needed to extract them...

If you're gonna vape, do it the old fashioned way with a pipe that is designed for vaporizing buds and 100% plant material...

The first time I "vaped" was in the late 70's and the word "vaping" wasn't even invented then..

We called it "steaming"...
Yeah, my "vaporizor" (steam pipe) is damn old fashioned, but it works with buds only, and always heats them to the perfect temperature..

And I know I'm inhaling nothing but marijuana... and I'll take my chances with that..

Attachments

• steam pipe (2).jpg
    steam pipe (2).jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 44

herbgreen

Veteran
Yeah, it sounds like the cutting agent in carts in non-legal states

Dealers wanting that extra buck adding vitamin -E oil is my understanding

400+ plus cases from wherever using whatever but could be likely culprit according to the news

I think CO2 extracts dont even use glycerins or PG ??? but I guess that doesnt stop somone from diluting it with vit-e oil

CDC saying stay away from vape pens for now until it can be resolved

What a political fuckshow for cannabis Getting tossed under the bus right before Nov. elections

And thanks surgeon general for reminding us of obvious crap and slamming cannabis with your ignorant whacked commentary

Always fun

I think best to just vape flowers

I hope your friend gets better right way ringodoggie thats the worst not knowing whats going on

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

robotwithdreams

Veteran

Yes, folks with kidney issues should be careful with taking edibles on a regular basis. Im helping take care of a family elder with shrinking kidneys. Her doctors just took her off her arthritis meds due to kidneys. Her pain is excruciating n crippling, she is not even allowed to take aleve. Now im hearing about how edibles might not be a good idea for people with underlying kidney issues. I will mixing biotone n concentrate for for a topical for her (many thanks to graywolf). Excuse the digression.

Edit: looks like im wrong about edibles and kidney issues, its smoked cannabis and preexisting kidney problems that are a bad mix.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ Maybe capsules, either decarbed or in oil if kidney issues are prevalent.

Years ago, a practitioner for MMJ told me to use hot tea temperature in bong. It helps vasodilate vs. people that put in ice cubes in their bong causing vasorestriction. That's the closest I'll come to vaping....hot water (not boiling).

Similar to what Bud Green said, steam.