What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Private Messages

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay...Soooo...

I have a question.

PM's have turned into "Conversations" - and - I can NOT deselect or delete a single one of them. This is a massive security risk.

When the site updated, seems like PMs all the way back from 2008 reappeared.

I have 60+ pages of these "conversations". I want them to be deleted. I want the ability to have control over my own content. I'm tired of seeing I have 300+ conversations I have to check or read or address.

The worst part. Even when I "read" them, it still tells me I have unaddressed conversations that need to checked.

REALLY REALLY ANNOYING.

Especially, when I selected multiple "conversations" - and try to mark them as read, and it does absolutely nothing.

I don't want to just mark them as read. I want CONTROL of what is in my inbox, what used to be considered a "private message".

It seems completely redundant, to have private chat conversation options - and then to have PM's work basically the exact same way, as some sort of rolling chat - instead of it being a private message...

The whole over "social media-lization" of the site, is a bit too much. I ENJOYED the FORUMS as FORUMS.

I like many of the upgrades, but some of this stuff needs to be for the sole purpose of SECURITY MINDED PRINCIPLES - not for ease of use on mobile devices.

Please, fix the PM situation - or tell me how to make it actually work. Thanks!!

@StevenHXF

dank.Frank

moose eater

Okay...Soooo...

I have a question.

PM's have turned into "Conversations" - and - I can NOT deselect or delete a single one of them. This is a massive security risk.

When the site updated, seems like PMs all the way back from 2008 reappeared.

I have 60+ pages of these "conversations". I want them to be deleted. I want the ability to have control over my own content. I'm tired of seeing I have 300+ conversations I have to check or read or address.

The worst part. Even when I "read" them, it still tells me I have unaddressed conversations that need to checked.

REALLY REALLY ANNOYING.

Especially, when I selected multiple "conversations" - and try to mark them as read, and it does absolutely nothing.

I don't want to just mark them as read. I want CONTROL of what is in my inbox, what used to be considered a "private message".

It seems completely redundant, to have private chat conversation options - and then to have PM's work basically the exact same way, as some sort of rolling chat - instead of it being a private message...

The whole over "social media-lization" of the site, is a bit too much. I ENJOYED the FORUMS as FORUMS.

I like many of the upgrades, but some of this stuff needs to be for the sole purpose of SECURITY MINDED PRINCIPLES - not for ease of use on mobile devices.

Please, fix the PM situation - or tell me how to make it actually work. Thanks!!

@StevenHXF

dank.Frank
I found a PM of mine posted in an open thread the other night. It may have been there for as long as 4-1/2 hours, and I'd wager specific body parts I didn't accidentally post it there. Never had that happen before, either. Been in and out of ICMag under the same handle since either 2006 or 2008, though I re-upped after deleting accounts several times, always under that same handle.

Glitch? Or nefarious action? No solid conclusion yet.

Is it remotely possible it was my error? Yes, but I was straight as an arrow, wasn't high, and had about a half beer in me at the time.

My 'cure' for your inquiry is tedious, but I did so after the very unnerving circumstance the other night.

Go through each one of your messages and 'edit', replacing any message with a series of asterixes or periods/elipses, as otherwise, if there's nothing there to save after the 'edit', it likely won't allow it to stay.

Down side of this is that who ever you were corresponding with is the person who has to delete the other side of your conversation, and if they replied with any quotes, then that stuff is still up too.

I intend to ask Steven if there's anyway to assess 'digital footprints' (specifics re. traffic, how many, who, and how long were 'they' at that 'spot' when this occurred; not that I necessarily need to know others' particulars, but someone should, and I would like to know at least how long I was exposed, and to how many).

And I agree, we shouldn't have to worry about this stuff. But here we are.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I did have a good chat with Steven yesterday - coincidentally his health prob is very similar to mine - blood pressure - but looks like we now both have it under control - He told me that he will be back on board this Thursday - to take care of any problems -
Merry Christmas to one and all -
Regards - GN

mr.brunch

Veteran
Hey all
Any updates on this as I have been trying to tidy up the inbox but no delete option?
Cheers and happy new year 🥳

Latest posts

Latest posts