What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation in H20

romanoweed

If you want to preserve Terpenes:
I heard Terpenes evaporate at very low Temperatures basically from 30C /80 Farenh. upwoards thats Vapourpointof some, some at 100C/200F. (Thats why you can Smell Cannabis)

So, as we know, Decarb works at different Temperatures, depending on Temperature chossen takes longer or shorter. look here:

picture.php

Considering someone told he added Terpenes later on, and it was very suddenly good, i think you should decarb the lowest possible Temperature? probaby 4 Hours at 100C/200F ?

But look closer at the Chart, the longer its done, the lower Thc will anyway be reached, look at Lines, maximum of first line is 15 Thc, maximum of secound Line is only 14 Thc ! And so on.

I recall Thc degrades to Cbd over Time..? Caused by Temperatures..?

So the perfect Solution might be to decarb way faster?
But again, someone mentioned Terpenes did the Trick, and if it doesent Taste, it may also not effect right..

romanoweed

Yes, i recall this aswell.
So, by cooking on lower Temp, you change alot Thc to pretty effectless Cbn ? thats what still confuses me, alltho it is what i could interpret out this Chart.

romanoweed

Thanks O.G.Joe! That means this is not the breakdown of THC to CBN.. But important to know stuff can evaporate when heated in plain Air

methias

Sou Vide

Sou Vide

Good morning kids,

After test pressing my latest harvest and getting 1.1 grams out of 10.5 grams of La Confidential, I decided it's time.
The balance of Judy (I name them all Judy) is currently in a 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag, in a pot of water, with my Sou Vide holding the temperature at 180 degrees.
Judies scheduled to a full 90 minutes and has 20 to go.
From there we hit the press. I recently bought a 4 ton DabPress and I love it so far.
My plan is to make cannaoil for brownies and other stuff.
The rosin from my test press is amazing.
Can hardly wait to press the decarbed Judy.

Vape on kids

igrowone

Veteran
mighty interesting idea, maybe been mentioned before but I don't recall it
1 possible complication is loss of resin sticking to the bag
some tricks come to mind, curious how this turns out

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Oh, cut it out. It's humor. Straight from the National Lampoon. My god, when did the world loose it's sense of humor.

Besides, I gave you credit for inventing the blow job. Geeze. What more do you want.

If it makes you feel better (I'm Italian).....

ITALIANS

Racial Characteristics: This least appealing of the European peoples combines natural criminal propensities with an attitude of slavish idolatry toward that Whore of Rome, the Pope. When speaking, the Italians gesture frantically with their hands in an attempt to distract your gaze from their ugly faces-upon which are clearly etched the marks of their moral and intellectual degeneracy. They cannot stop stealing, and will sometimes go so far as to steal money that is rightfully theirs from the pockets of their own trousers even as they wear them. Worse yet, they rarely catch themselves doing so. (Not that it matters, since their currency is worth nothing.) Otherwise, they amuse themselves by kidnapping the neighbor's children, voting for Communists, and staying out on strike, where they've been since the 1940s. On the field of battle they are abject cowards, and in the kitchen they're enthralled with bruised tomatoes and the noodle only.

Good Points: Big tits.

Proper Forms of Address: Ginzo, guinea, dago, spaghetti-bender, wop.

A German Joke of the War Years Illustrating Some Points Concerning the Italian Character: During the campaign in North Africa, an Italian tank and a German tank accidentally collided and the two surprised drivers jumped out. The Italian yelled, "I surrender! I surrender!" The German shot him.

Before one can laugh with others, he must first learn to laugh at himself. Mel Brooks
Mel Brooks was a funny guy.. I like saying "If you can't laugh at yourself, you're missing half the fun".

It is sad that one can not say amusing things without being ridiculed by some one that is 'hurt' by those words.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If you want to preserve Terpenes:
I heard Terpenes evaporate at very low Temperatures basically from 30C /80 Farenh. upwoards thats Vapourpointof some, some at 100C/200F. (Thats why you can Smell Cannabis)

So, as we know, Decarb works at different Temperatures, depending on Temperature chossen takes longer or shorter. look here:

View Image

Considering someone told he added Terpenes later on, and it was very suddenly good, i think you should decarb the lowest possible Temperature? probaby 4 Hours at 100C/200F ?

But look closer at the Chart, the longer its done, the lower Thc will anyway be reached, look at Lines, maximum of first line is 15 Thc, maximum of secound Line is only 14 Thc ! And so on.

I recall Thc degrades to Cbd over Time..? Caused by Temperatures..?

So the perfect Solution might be to decarb way faster?
But again, someone mentioned Terpenes did the Trick, and if it doesent Taste, it may also not effect right..

Good graph. First on the thread I can work with.

It says I could warm the oven, then switch it off and use it.
I have access to an oven thermometer still I think. One I can put in a pyrex bowl and still see it through the window. I think preheated pyrex might just need 5 mins with the oven on once the green is in. Then I can switch off for half hour. The oven might only drop to 100 in that time. Then I can remove the pyrex and stand to cool. Making my butter in it if that's the intention. Removing the need to stand over a boiler for hours as it's already done.

Oven stats generally keep the oven about 20c lower than you ask for on the dial. I have measured quite a few. The temperature control is quite tight though and if your green is in a container then you are well buffered.

Container might profit from lid inversion. As it cools, the inverted lid could be cooled to act as a condenser. Giving some condense to play with. Perhaps add back after the butter process, which seems to loose lots.

Our grows need carbon filters because lots off smell/taste comes off them at room temperature. Washing a bud also takes away a lot of taste, like most of it. This are simple observations you can make yourself. These findings are of much greater importance than what a guy in a lab says, when he's naming things that we can't associate a taste with anyway.

I reckon the oven is the way, but in a container who's internal temperature we can monitor. So a glass container and mechanical thermometer.

romanoweed

hmm,
actually i forgot that there was Evaporation not measured. So the Gases may, or may not contained the missing Thc...

I personally can imagine that and would rather choose a middle-strong Heat, since some People told the taste was very good that Way.
Probably thats the reason why so many people end up with a honestly badtasting Product, cause most (incliding me) used high heat.

So Hai

I'm going to go straight into the Magical Butter Machine with fresh buds, coconut oil and lecithin and set it to 190F for 2 hours. I have been oven decarbing for years. Thanks for thinking.
:D
Sometimes it helps when others do the thinking for you, not to mention try the things thought out. How did it work out for you?

Tincandtoke

Sometimes it helps when others do the thinking for you, not to mention try the things thought out. How did it work out for you?

When I initially read this I wanted to know how the lecithin held up in the MB machine
Do you need to increase the amount due to the plant material absorbing the lecithin?

Newer info on the extraction and infusion process seems to point to loss of terpenes
It looks like you have to process and add terpenes back into a finished oil or syrup (in my case)
This changes the flavor profile significantly thus your edibles will change in flavor

I always decarboxylate once the butter/ coconut oil is done

Rinse several times (5-6 times not less in my experience) the material in very hot water, throw the water between each rinsing, it will get clearer and less odorous each time

Then put the material to infuse with your coconut oil/butter a few hours, filter and let it separate in the fridge

Once fat is separated from the water, put the precious extract in a pan of the right size, and heat to 120°C around 20 minutes

Control the temperature of the extract with a laser temp gun, be sure to stay between 120 to 130°c

You will see the co2 bubble out of the butter meaning the decarboxylation process is in progress.

You will know it's totally decarboxylated when there is no more co2 bubbles.. At this moment turn off the heat, and transfer the final product to fridge/ freezer..:canabis::tiphat:

This will produce a powerful extract with very low taste of "green" (berk)

Tincandtoke

Did a rinse in a mason jar, changing the water every day for three days
Good results but a drawn out process
If I have to extract its cold ethanol and carbon filtering
Always do my decarb prior to extraction.
Smelling up the house is a no go
The Ardent FX helps to minimize the odor