What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd try at vertical scrog

Earlmarne

Flower sites all over

Attachments

• 20170706_202935.jpg
    20170706_202935.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 47

Earlmarne

Nothing exciting happening.
Thinking on building some ppks to speed up veg.
Going to be hard to stay perpetual with trees if I can't speed up growth.
Anyhow, here's a flower shot

Attachments

• 20170709_202303.jpg
    20170709_202303.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 48

Earlmarne

Some more flower shots. Substantially more filled out buds sites I believe than last run.

Attachments

• 20170712_203730.jpg
    20170712_203730.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 51

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ppk's are great. my next build will be 16-20 ppks per building lit with overhead LED lighting to save some watts and heat. 6 week veg in a ppk and you got close to 2lb plants with the right genetics :)

ive pulled multiple pounds of fan leaves over the last couple weeks lol

Attachments

• IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 57

Earlmarne

ppk's are great. my next build will be 16-20 ppks per building lit with overhead LED lighting to save some watts and heat. 6 week veg in a ppk and you got close to 2lb plants with the right genetics :)

Man, you got a clean ass set up

Earlmarne

Interesting turn of events today.
My dead head cross are all showing mag deficiency pretty good but cinex and gg cross not so much. All fed out of the same res.
Decided to calibrate my ph pen to rule out lockout. Dang thing was way off my res. Was reading 4.5 after calibration. Surprised everything has been doing ok.

Chunky Sloth

That grow is beautiful

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i run jacks and nothing else but some drip clean when i remember. i dont check my ph anymore if its not a recirculating system. stable as hell at 5.8 with my ro water every time.

Earlmarne

i run jacks and nothing else but some drip clean when i remember. i dont check my ph anymore if its not a recirculating system. stable as hell at 5.8 with my ro water every time.

Since switching to Jack's my res ph doesn't rise anymore, pretty sweet.
I've been mixing 600ml Jack's 600ml calnit 50 ml protekt n 50 ml drip clean in my 55g res. With 18 ml ph down before I calibrated my ph pen. Probably going to be like 15 ml now but it stays stable all week

Earlmarne

Got some good size flowers coming together.
Canopy did not fill in as much as anticipated for sure. No worries though, plenty of frost and lessons learned.
Gorrila bubble will be hitting this room next, hopefully they react somewhat as the cinex has and I can continue to perfect my approach to all this

Attachments

• 20170719_205223.jpg
    20170719_205223.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170719_202848.jpg
    20170719_202848.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 47
Hi Earlmarne, how is it going there. i have don my share of different stuff and learned from these experiences that efficiency is the key, thats what dialed in means. I got stressed seeing, and reading what you guys are doing here, and I imagine the plants are even more stressed than me. I thought at first you mentioned vertical screens, then I see all these horizontal screens. That is a lot of work for a little yield, plus the plants may stress out to the point of changing sex. Everything looks too forced when manipulating a plant like that, if you messed up and your clones were too tall when placing them in the flowering lights then it is best to stop, place one in the closet and let this mother produce clones so you can try again thus not avoiding to notice their height.

I know what I am talking about. My first grow, I took footy seeds and planted them and let them grow until I could determine sex, then picket the cherry phoneme; it was the only way to find that genetic. Instead of killing the other females with the males I decided to keep them. The plants were too tall for the lighting to penetrate further down into the canopy so I had to build two 4x4 screens and although it was fun to build it was a lot of work and my ye9ld was nothing compared to doing over and getting it dialed in. One of the problems you have other than stress here, is that topping them takes away the main stream of the main stalk, thus a plant usually has a single koala, and all it's energy is focused on this one part of the plant. There is research covering this topic and if you just split the plant once and have two buds instead of a main single the lass will collectively be less than if you did not alter it.

I am going to supply a chart for you see how you match plant height with equipment style. I used 400 watts bulbs and 18 inch tall plants with 8 inch tops. It was very effect and I am using that as an example so you see my point.

I did something else because I just wanted to play. You can skip the screens and instead use a thick solid mechanics wire that you can bend, use loose fitting tie straps and make your plant bend over just like a person bends over to pick up something. It still goes against everything I just told you, but if you want to salvage and keep what you have when making mistake here is another way to do it. All your plans will be bending over the same direction, and the buds will spring up alone the length of it's back. I never seen anyone else do this, so it will be eye candy for people here on this forum; but someone like me will chime in and tell you the same thing I said at the start of my my comment. You can't be in denial when growing, there are times you have to accept the cost of your mistake and ask the right people what to do different, and do that.

Otherwise, I think it is cool that you are trying stuff out, and meeting new people here. Just don't forget that theirs risk in doing this, so if you are going togged caught it might as well worth it. The other problem I want to mention is genetics, some of these strains sound great with cool names, the problem is they are not stable, with various lengths, often all spread out; this is not efficient. Find a strain, this is where it all starts, it is the most important aspect. Next would be the equipment, and the grow pattern is dictated by your choice of equipment. I messed up one grow out of all the years I did this, and it was my second grow, that is where I used the wires to bend the plants over; other than that, I messed up with my cure and 2.25 lbs had mildew, so on my own I decided to freeze it and make hash, no one told me to do that I just thought it would change form when frozen and that was correct. I had 398 plants that were all tops and the best hash ever and smoked it all myself. So mistakes can be rewarding, just watch out my freind.

CW

Correction:
I had 38 plants that were all tops and the best hash ever and smoked it all myself. So mistakes can be rewarding, just watch out my freind.

Earlmarne

Hi Earlmarne, how is it going there. i have don my share of different stuff and learned from these experiences that efficiency is the key, thats what dialed in means. I got stressed seeing, and reading what you guys are doing here, and I imagine the plants are even more stressed than me. I thought at first you mentioned vertical screens, then I see all these horizontal screens. That is a lot of work for a little yield, plus the plants may stress out to the point of changing sex. Everything looks too forced when manipulating a plant like that, if you messed up and your clones were too tall when placing them in the flowering lights then it is best to stop, place one in the closet and let this mother produce clones so you can try again thus not avoiding to notice their height.

I know what I am talking about. My first grow, I took footy seeds and planted them and let them grow until I could determine sex, then picket the cherry phoneme; it was the only way to find that genetic. Instead of killing the other females with the males I decided to keep them. The plants were too tall for the lighting to penetrate further down into the canopy so I had to build two 4x4 screens and although it was fun to build it was a lot of work and my ye9ld was nothing compared to doing over and getting it dialed in. One of the problems you have other than stress here, is that topping them takes away the main stream of the main stalk, thus a plant usually has a single koala, and all it's energy is focused on this one part of the plant. There is research covering this topic and if you just split the plant once and have two buds instead of a main single the lass will collectively be less than if you did not alter it.

I am going to supply a chart for you see how you match plant height with equipment style. I used 400 watts bulbs and 18 inch tall plants with 8 inch tops. It was very effect and I am using that as an example so you see my point.

I did something else because I just wanted to play. You can skip the screens and instead use a thick solid mechanics wire that you can bend, use loose fitting tie straps and make your plant bend over just like a person bends over to pick up something. It still goes against everything I just told you, but if you want to salvage and keep what you have when making mistake here is another way to do it. All your plans will be bending over the same direction, and the buds will spring up alone the length of it's back. I never seen anyone else do this, so it will be eye candy for people here on this forum; but someone like me will chime in and tell you the same thing I said at the start of my my comment. You can't be in denial when growing, there are times you have to accept the cost of your mistake and ask the right people what to do different, and do that.

Otherwise, I think it is cool that you are trying stuff out, and meeting new people here. Just don't forget that theirs risk in doing this, so if you are going togged caught it might as well worth it. The other problem I want to mention is genetics, some of these strains sound great with cool names, the problem is they are not stable, with various lengths, often all spread out; this is not efficient. Find a strain, this is where it all starts, it is the most important aspect. Next would be the equipment, and the grow pattern is dictated by your choice of equipment. I messed up one grow out of all the years I did this, and it was my second grow, that is where I used the wires to bend the plants over; other than that, I messed up with my cure and 2.25 lbs had mildew, so on my own I decided to freeze it and make hash, no one told me to do that I just thought it would change form when frozen and that was correct. I had 398 plants that were all tops and the best hash ever and smoked it all myself. So mistakes can be rewarding, just watch out my freind.

CW

Thanks for the feedback CW.
I pay my state for a med card, and stay within my plant count for sure. So no illegal action here.
All will change in my room here eventually to a more traditional set up. Just enjoy screwing around.

Yeah I know we are all in different situations, and it is hard to include how we got there in these posts. I jus felt for you when I saw all of this and remembered when I was going through something similar at one time. Look forward to the results, taking up pot weaving is a healthy hobby! It was cool making screens and lacing all those strings into the holes I drilled in the frame. It made for some fine pictures too! Don't forget what I said about the thick wires and n=bending the plants, it is way easier, and looks cool as shit.

Earlmarne

Mixed up a res of Jack's and mkp. Came out low on ppms. Will add more mkp tomorrow if they receive it well.
I believe there is a large improvement with having added mkp spikes so figured with it being 5th week I cut out the calnit altogether.
I look forward to my next run with the cinex. It'll be awhile though

Earlmarne

Bulking up pretty nice, temps keep creeping into the high 80s.
Not sure what's going on there. Have an 8000 btu a.c. in my lung room and a 12 inch hurricane extraction fan on thermostat. Isn't getting that high when I'm in there at night. Must be close to when light turn off for a moment.

Attachments

• 20170723_204749.jpg
    20170723_204749.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 49
There is a way you can turn the situation of higher temps and higher air-conditioning costs into a positive thing. You are going to like this, but you got to promise me you give me a point on my reputation for this. hahahaha

Get a Co2 burner and run it, your temps will now "need" to run at 82 degrees. You are turning your climate into a more tropical one and your plants will love it, so will your wallet for air conditioning savings. I leaned this by accident and was in the same situation as you, I was trying to keep things at 78 temps, and it was getting hard to do. By accident I decided to buy a C02 burner and what happened was I found out when running that much Co2 you are required to now run 82 instead of 78. This will improve the quality of your buds!

Be sure to not run fans all the time when using Co2, you want this heavier gas to drop and wrap around the plants for a few minutes, then let a timer turn the fans back on.

You have problems when it gets cold outside too, there is not enough humidity around the plants. In that case go out and buy a 30 dollar humidifier like used for children in their rooms so they can breathe better. You are doing great man, keep that mind open and be vulnerable so that others may help. I look forward to your smoke report after your cure!!!

Earlmarne

Pulled a few clusters apart today. Dang buds are bulking up big time. I am a huge fan of this simplified nutrient regimen.
I think if I was to have left 3-5 mains on each one of my plants I could have had a completely full canopy.

Attachments

• 20170724_204350.jpg
    20170724_204350.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170724_204410.jpg
    20170724_204410.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 54