What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OUTDOOR HYDRO!!!!

LORD BENIS

Well, it started out as an experiment of sorts and ended up working out really well. It's incredibly easy to set up and fairly cheap to build/expand as well. So, without further ado:

Part I
Da House

You'll need:
-4ft. re bar
-10ft. PVC (I used 3/4")
-PVC crosses
-4x4 wood planks
-6 mil. plastic
-adhesive zipper door (Google)
-small fan

So, first thing we do is find a nice flat spot that gets as much sun as possible. Don't worry if it's not completely flat or in direct sunlight, mine isn't. Keep in mind you can design the greenhouse to whatever dimensions you like, given you have the space, mine is 16x10.

Once you find your spot take your 4 ft. rebar and drive it into the ground half way, 2 ft. in and 2 ft. out.

Continue this process every 4 feet until you reach your desired length. Next, set the width (mine is 10 ft.) and drive in your rebar, again, every 4 feet. You should now have two straight lines of rebar sticking out of the ground. Simply slide your 10 ft. PVC over the rebar, bend down, and connect with the PVC crosses.

Be sure to buy a couple of extra 10 ft. PVC poles when you're at the store, you'll use them for the roof. Just cut them into 4 ft. sections and they should fit perfectly inside the PVC crosses to form the roof's "spine".

Now we just slide the plastic on the frame like a dress over a nice sexy ass....

.... and pin it down with the 4x4's.

I've since discovered that this may not be enough to hold down the tarp during high winds. However, I believe that I've found the solution.....

I stuck duct tape on both sides of the plastic under the metal clamp to prevent it from tearing up the plastic. The clamps cost 59 cents and are bent into shape.

I'm still waiting on the zippers for the door, more on those a little later.

Part II
Da Buckets

First of all, I'd like to thank Big Toke for his awesome system and step by step instructions. I'm not gonna do a breakdown on the system as he has already done that better than I ever could. Check out his sticky over at the indoor hydro forum if you're interested in building one of these.

The res is a 13 gallon tub with a float valve attached to a 75 gallon rain barrel. I'm thinking about adding small gutters to the sides of my greenhouse to top off the res. :chin:
I have anywhere from a 11-13 '' drop depending on water levels. Don't forget the fan!!!

My pump is a 1800 gph Ecoplus inline/submersible pump run in-line to reduce heat.

I used garden hose for the feed line and garden hose valves for the control valves. The PVC is 1'', hose is 5/8''.

The buckets rest on 2x4's laid on cinder blocks and drain into an open return pipe with the help of small extention tubing.

Guess that's about it for now. I'll keep ya'll posted with updates on winter in the greenhouse soon as the doors are up.
Here's a stapelia that appears to like it's new home

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Holy shit! Looks like you have been hard at work! Arte you in a location that can grow winter weed in a green house, or is this for next summer?

G

I like it. I think I might do something very similar in my greenhouse this spring. How is it working for you so far? Lets see some more pics. peace dj.highst

G

Great greenhouse construction, very very simple. I will be using this design forever more so I thank you.

G

Wow a seriously good greenhouse plan, I have just been pondering what to do and i think you have cracked it!
I may use soil in mine but we will see i need to get my feet wet so to speak.
I am also interested to hear if you plan a winter grow? ether way thanks for sharing!
Good luck with your grows!
~neilspotshop

LORD BENIS

Thanks to all for stopping by.
I could probly swing a winter grow but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it too much if they found out. But I do plan on using the buckets for all my veggie/fruit needs throughout the year. I sort of collect weird plants too so I needed a place to keep them over the winter and this seemed like a good solution to both needs.
It worked awesome at my previous house. It recieved direct sun and kept temps around 70-80 F during the 100 F summer. And that was without a covered frame or climate control. I don't have as much light here and it's winter right now so it's currently running a little slow. I plan on putting up the doors tomorrow so if all goes well I'll finish up the whole thing then. The two week BB time mark is about up, I'm thinking lettuce and/or spinach.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, great job on the system and the greenhouse looks like a simple but functional design. I don't understand why you wouldn't just stick your plants in the dirt though? Its already there and plants grow in it just fine, especially with some amendments and fertilizer. A raised bed could have been built to improve drainage and aeration. Or, pots could be used with soilless media. Why did you choose hydroponics?

Are you looking to shorten the time before harvest, or just looking for an interesting project?

Anyway, wish you luck, let us know how the vegies turn out.

LORD BENIS

Are you looking to shorten the time before harvest, or just looking for an interesting project?

A little of both, it's sort of a left over system from my last house and I just thoght it would be a shame to let it go to waste. I am doing 50/50 right now with the buckets on the left and a soilless media on the right.

LORD BENIS

I just got done with (hopefully) the finishing touches.
Re-attached my rain barrel, added doors, and moved in some plants.

I secured the side walls with a combination of of zip-ties and office clamps.

Make sure to reinforce with duct tape.

I can't say enough about these zipper doors. They're adhesive so all you do is lay your surface flat, peel, and stick. Then un-zip and cut a slit, and be sure to follow directions! Don't put them on upside down like I did :wallbash:
I will proby end up re-doing the door since I can no longer zip it up. Seems that the only way I learn is the hard way.

Here's the rain barrel going through the plastic to the float valve, still thinking about gutters. :chin:

Guess that about wraps her up, I'll keep ya'll posted with progress, new additions, etc.

Last edited:

acidfire

Great thread!
Im sure you'll grow some killer veggies. :D

I would put a bit of tape at the top of the zipper to stop it from going all the way.

G

looking good, I like those doors. My local hydro shop has them in black. Its cool to see they have they translucent style too. I am going to have to copy your set-up for sure. Keep it coming. peace_highst

LORD BENIS

Finally got around to putting in some spinach today :woohoo:
I germinated them in rapid rooters with a heat mat/dome set-up and they took about a week to pop. I also gave them their first nutes today. A mix a Mexican bat guano, molasses, and Maxicrop seaweed powder.

One problem I seem to be having is that when I first add the nutes the water changes color but the next day I go out and most of the water is clear again. Small deposites accumulate in the PVC and I've got a feeling a lot is sticking to the feed lines as well. I've been running a toilet brush through the return pipe every few days and this seems to help remix the solution. Does anyone know if this is common with bio-buckets? I'm thinking about making a tea bag to just rest in the res. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

G

have you thought about the temperature fluctuations with the water in the rez? will that cause problems? or is it a minor issue?

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Probably going to get a better answer out of hte hydro section. I have no idea how anything works cept DWC.

LORD BENIS

Well she's officially passed the test!
We just got our first hard freeze in many, many years and even the most tender of my collection is alive and kicking. I did cheat a little though, put in a small space heater for night time, but I'm confident that everything would be fine w/o it. Just a little extra insurance.

Outside

Inside

Oh yeah, I added a starwberry plant to the bio-buckets a few days before the cold hit and it's already putting on new growth. Not bad for a soil to hydro transplant with 25 degree temps outside.

The spinach is still small but making progress, I'll keep everyone posted.

G

Hey man it looks great! the plants look happy on the inside and it makes for a nice picture on the outside!
Do any of your other plants have any psychoactive(cant think of a better word) effects?
Just curious really.
Good luck and keep the updates coming.

LORD BENIS

Ya, I got into the whole psychoactive plant deal a while ago. Not really as gung-ho anymore, though. Definately plants to be respected.

I still keep many brugmansia's and datura's, San Pedro, Peruvian torch, Haiwian BabyWoodrose, passion flowers, and a Psychotria Viridis. Some look really cool too, especially the datura/brugmansia's, woodrose, and passiflora's. Do a Google search for more info on their properties.

INDODRO

I like that set-up, thats really nice. I would love to be able to have a greenhouse like that, especially to grow some big buds in ;)