What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humidity Pack Debate

coldcanna

Veteran
Has anyone here done side by side testing on the rumor that Bovedas and/or Boost packs effect the smell and terpene profile of the finished product. Rumors around that they rob aroma, but we know how rumors can be...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The packs rob flaves when used to reduce moisture content.

When buds are just slightly over dried and moisture is stabilized using Bovedas, aromas are preserved.

If moisture packs are left in your containers, your buds will lose flavor over time. Much quicker than without the packs.

coldcanna

Veteran

When buds are just slightly over dried and moisture is stabilized using Bovedas, aromas are preserved.

If moisture packs are left in your containers, your buds will lose flavor over time. Much quicker than without the packs.

Thanks for the input MJ. Is this something you've personally observed?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, though not in a side by side test.
Rather, I noticed that my jars that I had forgotten to remove the packs from smelled bland (kind of like the moisture pack when new) once cracked open.

coldcanna

Veteran
Ok cool. Be interested to hear if other people are having the same issues. I've got a harvest coming up I should be able to do a side by side with.

Have been thinking that keeping a humidor type room set at 58% and letting the flower balance with that would work great. Then your obv burping the gases when needed but not necessarily messing with moisture

MR_Falcon

Veteran

this is exactly what I have observed as well.:tiphat:

Tried it once and thats all it took.

Made my Cheese taste like a carbon filter. Vinegary more than anything. Bud was in cure and tasting great at the time. Couldn't really tell you on smell because they were light and musty anyway, but the vape don't lie on flavor. I threw that broveda shit in the ditch. It serves no purpose. Cannabis isn't tobacco leaves.

different

Has anyone here done side by side testing on the rumor that Bovedas and/or Boost packs effect the smell and terpene profile of the finished product. Rumors around that they rob aroma, but we know how rumors can be...

I have, and I paid for testing.
No effect on terpene profile, according to science.

hyposomniac

Drier bud stinks more than slightly too-moist bud, regardless of boveda. Yay, nay?
Boveda 62 buds are right in that slightly too-moist zone imho.
I like MJs theory on how to use the packs too.
I don't use them, but a dude I know who sells from big bags that are opened up frequently in a dry winter, he uses them to great effect.

coldcanna

Veteran
I have, and I paid for testing.
No effect on terpene profile, according to science.

Interesting. I wonder how many people have done such testing. The one thing I will point out is that there are multiple other things going on that effect the flavor of curing cannabis. One specifically is the breakdown of carotenoids that contribute to sweet, fruity, and aromatic flavors in curing leaf. So if the terpenes are not being effected, I wonder if the packs are interfering with some other process.

I leave Boveda's in with the buds and have seen no loss of terpenes whatsoever. In fact, they improve aromas as the bud is maintained at exactly the right moisture level - not too dry which reduces aromas, and not too moist which allows a slow rotting of the material and associated off smells.

The important point is don't dry the buds excessively initially, and don't expect the Boveda to dry out moist buds because they only have a limited capacity to take up moisture. They are best used to add a bit of moisture if necessary, and to maintain optimum humidity during storage. :2cents:

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I dry my bud and then burp jars daily until humidity holds at 60% for 3 days. Then it sits for 4 weeks. I then add a 62% pack for 2 weeks before it goes out the door. I haven’t noticed anything different in aroma or potency using a boveda. The only thing I have noticed different, is it seems to give the bud a better texture after a few days with the pack.

Obviously I’m not using it in any of the drying process. I tried not using the bovedas but my ppl noticed without me saying anything, and all preferred the bud using the bovedas.