What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitter pill to swallow

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hiya,,
My friends are aware that i have been caring for my mother who a few years back was diagnosed with Alzehimers and Vascular Dementia and has suffered a number of mini strokes also,,,
Luckily my sister lives nearer to my mums then I and around 10 days ago,,our mum was admitted to the hospital with another chest infection and pneumonia,,,,,
After a few days she was discharged but i got a call late on Monday
evening from my sister saying that she was very vacant and unwell again so my sister rang and within a few hours a Dr arrived and after trying to talk and examine her decided she needed to be Re-admitted
to hospital,,,,,,,
That brings us,, up to today when i recieved a call early this morning from my sister telling me the doctors wanted to talk to us!
I was getting ready to meet gypsy and celebrate his case being kicked out at the high court so i had to inform him i couldnt make it,,
which pissed me off,,
So off we went to the hospital and a meet with the doctors who explained that my mum was lucky not to have sepsus and that her condition has made her very weak and that we should prepare ourselfs as next time she may not be so lucky,,,,,
Her illness is so very cruel and it makes you feel totally powerless
Because no amount of money etc can help this situation,,,,,
Carers come in x4 daily and we make sure that she has everything she needs but accepting that the future is her passing or the illness getting so bad that she dont even recognise me or my sister,,,,,
We knew this would be the outcome but hearing from the doctors has give it an air of finality and although she is more or less bedbound ,,prior to this last hospital admission i still got a little light from her now and again,,,,,
Thats now gone as the mini strokes and illness take there toll,,,,,
Now its accepting the inveitable as hard as that might be,,,
So we must try to be positive and continue making sure all her needs are met and not let her see we are heartbroken,,,,,,s2:tiphat:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Damn man sorry to hear it.

I'm glad you are able to explain your pain.

But I am really hoping you realize how strong you are.

Here's to you mate

:friends:

Hang in there. Life's weird.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
damn man, that is a harsh pill indeed. my sympathy bro, can only imagine what it's like getting such news about a loved one.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the kind words..
Gauis,,MrMM and Borderliner,,,s2

Betterhaff

Veteran
I went thru similar with both parents, not same illness, both had cancer, but never the less a helpless feeling personally. Stay strong and make sure her comfort is the priority. End of life is hard regardless of how you prepare and as long as you did the best you could that’s all that matters. Remember the positives and don’t let the harshness of the condition get you down. My thoughts are with you.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

so sorry s2, I've walked in your shoes and know how difficult these times can be. I'll add your mom to my thoughts and prayers and your family as well for their strength.......

redwhiteblue

I took care of a relative for many years with that disease. It taught me a lot about myself and humility. It's tough to see. I'm sorry.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sad to hear about your Mum mate....

No worries about you not making it to the court for my victory yesterday....Mum's are much more important than Gypsy's...

Keep ya chin up thru these difficult times.

Spaventa

Veteran
Im part of the same generation who's parents are getting old now. The circle of life I guess. All the best to you and mum S2.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Hiya,,
My friends are aware that i have been caring for my mother who a few years back was diagnosed with Alzehimers and Vascular Dementia and has suffered a number of mini strokes also,,,
Luckily my sister lives nearer to my mums then I and around 10 days ago,,our mum was admitted to the hospital with another chest infection and pneumonia,,,,,
After a few days she was discharged but i got a call late on Monday
evening from my sister saying that she was very vacant and unwell again so my sister rang and within a few hours a Dr arrived and after trying to talk and examine her decided she needed to be Re-admitted
to hospital,,,,,,,
That brings us,, up to today when i recieved a call early this morning from my sister telling me the doctors wanted to talk to us!
I was getting ready to meet gypsy and celebrate his case being kicked out at the high court so i had to inform him i couldnt make it,,
which pissed me off,,
So off we went to the hospital and a meet with the doctors who explained that my mum was lucky not to have sepsus and that her condition has made her very weak and that we should prepare ourselfs as next time she may not be so lucky,,,,,
Her illness is so very cruel and it makes you feel totally powerless
Because no amount of money etc can help this situation,,,,,
Carers come in x4 daily and we make sure that she has everything she needs but accepting that the future is her passing or the illness getting so bad that she dont even recognise me or my sister,,,,,
We knew this would be the outcome but hearing from the doctors has give it an air of finality and although she is more or less bedbound ,,prior to this last hospital admission i still got a little light from her now and again,,,,,
Thats now gone as the mini strokes and illness take there toll,,,,,
Now its accepting the inveitable as hard as that might be,,,
So we must try to be positive and continue making sure all her needs are met and not let her see we are heartbroken,,,,,,s2:tiphat:

sorry to hear this mucker ,,i'm literally in the same boat and was gonna write a similiar post to yours ,but you put it better than i could ,,
my mums been in icu all week and were now playing the waiting game :(

thoughts and prayers going out to all suffering this terrible disease ..

god bless :comfort:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks so very much for the support everyone,,,,
i really hope its good news Hazy,,,,,
prayers and light from us,,,,s2

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
s2, this is hard stuff and I wish you much strength and sending positive vibes your way.
I wish your mum and your whole family all the best and try and keep your head up !

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hazy, this is terrible... much strength also to your mum an your whole family

watts

ohms
Veteran
Alzheimer's is awful and nobody truly understands how it is until their close loved ones go through it. It has different stages, and yes it just gets worse. Some live with it for a short while and some longer. I saw my grandmother suffer with Alzheimer's for nearly 10 years. She went from confused and irritable to a babbling 2 year old baby until she died. She was actually happy in her own mind, though. It's hardest on the family because you have to see your loved one not remember you and they become so dependent. I feel your pain. Maybe some CBD type of oil or something could help her symptoms. Take care of yourself and stay strong for your family.

Latest posts

Latest posts