What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Cannabis a basic human right ?

White Beard

On the right to grow/use/trade in cannabis:

Government has never presented a substantive case to demonstrate a compelling state interest in prohibiting such activities, commerce, and use. Presumption and prejudice have ruled so far.

Further, the ninth amendment says explicitly that not all rights are enumerated in the constitution, and that government per se has no grounds for denying such rights, nor demeaning them. The right to plant, to harvest, to make use of the harvest, has to be at the core of human rights, lest we lose the right to feed ourselves and conduct our own affairs as we see fit.

And last, these are not “behaviors” but lawful and harmless activities

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Basic human rights is subjective, assuming humans have
the right to dictate over other organisms and ecological systems
without blow back, climate change, mass extinction, etc.

But the rub is, as humans blunder through life, holding to the notion
that our actions collectively have no repercussions, I say the notion of
"basic human rights" is silly.

Who decides what is a basic human right, when we so easily deny others
that which we demand for ourselves.

Nothing is given, just ask anyone who has lost something unjustly.

sigh

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Human rights are not given to us by our servants, they are those things that merely by existing, ethics demand no one can take from us.

meltybubble

What's the details on this story? I don't think I've heard of it before.
Just a few days ago on return from The Hague were they had been receiving treatment. She was either coming back to stay but most likely to visit and had the oil taken by customs despite paper work.
The story was vague but a very strong message.

Bad craic, all life matters.

Peace

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Unfortunately, some people would rather use a sick child to get their names in the paper, which is what I feel happened here. I maybe out of order thinking this, but the woman said that the authorities were tipped off by social media. She posted online what she was about to do, almost challenging the authorities to take the medicine from her. She backed them into a corner. If she just came in quietly, they prob wouldn't have even searched her. But publicing it and declaring it at customs, did she really think they would wave her through? Or did she know what would happen, hope what happened would happen, with the aim of publicity?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Photos in the paper of her being comforted by Alfie dingles mum at the airport after the meds were confiscated, tend to support the theory. What was she doing there? And why were newspaper reporters there to take photos?
A clear publicity stunt in my mind.

White Beard

OTOH there is no recognized right to water under our messed-up “ownership” system, and Nestle has been effectively stealing public water from communities all over the US, in addition to having pressured corrupt public officials in several countries into surrendering the nations’ water to Nestle.

As usual, “stole it fair ‘n’ square” is the law of the land

Dropped Cat

Veteran
On the right to grow/use/trade in cannabis:

Government has never presented a substantive case to demonstrate a compelling state interest in prohibiting such activities, commerce, and use. Presumption and prejudice have ruled so far.

Further, the ninth amendment says explicitly that not all rights are enumerated in the constitution, and that government per se has no grounds for denying such rights, nor demeaning them. The right to plant, to harvest, to make use of the harvest, has to be at the core of human rights, lest we lose the right to feed ourselves and conduct our own affairs as we see fit.

And last, these are not “behaviors” but lawful and harmless activities

I wonder if that argument would include growing opium poppies
and coca, lol

Cannabis, as we all know is included in US schedule 1.

We all should agree that releasing cannabis from schedule 1
should include opium poppies and coca.

it's the real thing.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
Human rights are not given to us by our servants, they are those things that merely by existing, ethics demand no one can take from us.

Tell that to the descendants of the holocaust and slavery.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I don't understand the point you're making. Both examples you gave were clearly unethical. The victims of both clearly had their innate human rights abused.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
I don't understand the point you're making. Both examples you gave were clearly unethical. The victims of both clearly had their innate human rights abused.

In retrospect, even I don't recall the point i was making.

Not my worst post on icmag, but definitely in the top 5.

soil margin

Veteran

Man this is sad shit. I don't know what kind of human being can deprive a little girl with epilepsy of her life saving medicine and then go home to sleep at night.

"Well I know she has seizures, but I'm just doing my job!"

I don't care what the law says or what your job is, you are a real scumbag at that point and have outlived your usefulness to humanity. Suicide exists so people like this can remove themselves from the gene pool.

White Beard

They kinda go hand-in-hand with not being a threat to your neighbors and not menacing your ‘hood.
As for “who”, the Constitution says “endowed by the Creator”...Voltaire has a few things to say about it (or is it Rousseau?). Also, the British Common Law is the basis for our legal structure, check out Blackstone for some eye-opening stuff.

As for “imaginary”, that’s only true if we don’t recognize them or fight for them.
Rights are asserted, not given.