What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
It almost sounds like an aquaponics or fish aquarium system where you have a living breathing water system with beneficial bacteria, etc...

i consider the solution to be an entity. it's virtually impossible to run a sterile system. the organism's that populate reservoirs are present all around us at all times.

every square inch of surface is covered with them. the interiors of all the hoses, buckets, the grow containers, the res's, the media.

when done i will have 46 containers with 5 gals of medium in each. that's 230 gals.

tremendous surface area. and since we are running perpetual only 3 per week will be new. the rest will have been inoculated.

the key to managing a healthy bacterial colony is oxygen. in the ppk the solution will never become anaerobic even without using airstones or waterfalls or chillers.

this is because we minimize root contact with the solution. there is little oxygen demand put on the solution so it is not being depleted at a high rate as in most hydro systems.

atmospheric partial pressures are sufficient to prevent anoxia.

the media itself in this device is rapidly totally drained after each irrigation event and at 38% air filled porosity will get all the o2 it can stand.

so i take care of the solution and treat it with dignity and respect. i send it flowers and chocolates. give it frequent check-ups, etc.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Not changing the reservoir also creates naturally occurring pgr's. Something most people that change the reservoir regularly will not experience. I've worked with huge swc systems in commercial farms that have NEVER changed the res water ever! With smashing results.

tell me more about these alleged pgr's! do you happen to have any links?

editing to say links about how a reservoir can create pgr's. fascinating.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
tell me more about these alleged pgr's! do you happen to have any links?
cc3f1041.gif
cc3f1041.gif
cc3f1041.gif
? :biggrin:

RoostaPhish

Veteran
I am not having any luck locating the articles I have read on this subject. It is a common practice in recirculating water culture systems. It was something we observed first hand with lettuce production. Same weight heads in a smaller size much tighter growth, with a more compact root system as well.

sahdgrower

Hey D9, big ups for dropping all your experience on the IC all these years. I have been reading all about PPK for the past couple weeks and am finding it awesome to see years of evolution take place within hours of reading. Im absolutely convinced PPK is just what i need. Im finally bailing on my RDWC which I enjoyed some success with following Snypes model but found the whole process too time consuming and finicky. So I'll be building my first PPK this weekend following your instructions as best I can with modifications due to materials on hand. Going to run some Rare Dankness Ghost train haze and some Crockett Farms Laffie. Really looking forward to rapid growth with less input of my time. Hell maybe I'll go real crazy and stay away from the grow for more than 24 hours! Anyway big thanks for sharing. Your grows are inspiring.

Oysters

...Im absolutely convinced PPK is just what i need.

Never grew anything in my life but lawn weeds. Slavishly followed D9's ppk (with help from the many many regulars who post here and others like McKush and av8or) through it's last 2 years of evolution and you're dead on to be absolutely convinced...it's just set it up right and watch it run. I've been away on travel for at least half of the last 7 weeks of my grow. Top up the res and no worries.

And d9, everything...the build out, those giant scrog frames, the PLANTS...everything is a treat. Thanks as well.

MrMMJ

I recall reading an article several years ago about the build up of certain exudates in rez's that aren't ever dumped. Some positive effects can be seen early on,( such as tighter internodal spacing ) but in the end lead to stunted growth and lower yeilds. I think the story was in a max yield mag....
I run/top off my tanks with jacks/calnit at 650ppm to start veg, increase to 850ppm at peak flower, then dump at week 6/7 and refill at 250/300ppm until done. I try to keep the rez's as simple and stable as possible, no other additives. Mag, Si, etc., IF needed, are foliar sprayed.
D9, as a grower who put his first seed in the ground as a 15yr old in 1975, and who's since tried every style including some of my own inventions ( most being waaaayyy too over built and complicated ) , I'd like to say how grateful and respectful I am for your work here ! The simplicity of running ppk's gave me a much needed break from working 12/14 hr days 7 days a week for years as the sole grower for I and my wife's business here in NorCal. I still run my worm farm and compost bins for our dispensary products sold as 100% organic soil grown (tinctures/balms), but love the Jacks/ppk for all the other fun stuff !:woohoo:Best of luck to you,and Thanks again !

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Cytokinins maybe.

http://www.simplyhydro.com/Hormones.htm

or plant exudates into the rhizosphere which will aid in breakdown of seeked minerals. these will then build an circulate through the nutrient solution

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/132/1/44.full

thanks a lot dude! i had seen the simplyhydro link before but not the plantphysiology one and, because of you, i stayed up all night chasing through a series of papers on the subject.

a lot of very interesting stuff but check this one out!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3040.2009.01926.x/full

look at the sheer number of compounds. and the variety.

it is clear the plant is not just putting out waste products. it is putting active agents out into the rhizosphere in order to influence the formation of mineral converting microbes and aid in the breakdown of minerals.

sahdgrower

After reading a ton on PPK the one thing I have only seen mentioned briefly is using the PPK outdoors. Granted I am terrible at searching threads so please forgive me if this has been covered. I am getting ready to start my outdoor crop and typically I just go straight in the ground and water with blumats. I would love to do half in the ground and half PPK. Can anyone stear me to a thread that covers this? Specifically I'm interested in what modifications [if any] to make to the system and what size pots to use.... I hope to grow 6 (outdoor limit in my area) trees.
Another question I have is regarding the 1k DE fixtures. I don't have the ceiling height to accommodate but am curious if I couldn't just rotate the whole reflector 90 degrees so as to maintain the horizontal orientation of the bulb but make it so that it throws it's light on the wall instead of the floor, where I would grow on a screen. I have enough floor space I can move the light far enough to maintain proper distance from canopy. Does that make any sense?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I am not having any luck locating the articles I have read on this subject. It is a common practice in recirculating water culture systems. It was something we observed first hand with lettuce production. Same weight heads in a smaller size much tighter growth, with a more compact root system as well.

thank you for trying! you have started a very interesting topic!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey D9, big ups for dropping all your experience on the IC all these years. I have been reading all about PPK for the past couple weeks and am finding it awesome to see years of evolution take place within hours of reading. Im absolutely convinced PPK is just what i need. Im finally bailing on my RDWC which I enjoyed some success with following Snypes model but found the whole process too time consuming and finicky. So I'll be building my first PPK this weekend following your instructions as best I can with modifications due to materials on hand. Going to run some Rare Dankness Ghost train haze and some Crockett Farms Laffie. Really looking forward to rapid growth with less input of my time. Hell maybe I'll go real crazy and stay away from the grow for more than 24 hours! Anyway big thanks for sharing. Your grows are inspiring.

thank you and best of luck on your build! i've had some of the ghost train haze bud and concentrate and it is some great stuff. i have a pack of crocketts confidential right now that i need to open.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Never grew anything in my life but lawn weeds. Slavishly followed D9's ppk (with help from the many many regulars who post here and others like McKush and av8or) through it's last 2 years of evolution and you're dead on to be absolutely convinced...it's just set it up right and watch it run. I've been away on travel for at least half of the last 7 weeks of my grow. Top up the res and no worries.

And d9, everything...the build out, those giant scrog frames, the PLANTS...everything is a treat. Thanks as well.

thanks for the endorsement!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I recall reading an article several years ago about the build up of certain exudates in rez's that aren't ever dumped. Some positive effects can be seen early on,( such as tighter internodal spacing ) but in the end lead to stunted growth and lower yeilds. I think the story was in a max yield mag....
I run/top off my tanks with jacks/calnit at 650ppm to start veg, increase to 850ppm at peak flower, then dump at week 6/7 and refill at 250/300ppm until done. I try to keep the rez's as simple and stable as possible, no other additives. Mag, Si, etc., IF needed, are foliar sprayed.
D9, as a grower who put his first seed in the ground as a 15yr old in 1975, and who's since tried every style including some of my own inventions ( most being waaaayyy too over built and complicated ) , I'd like to say how grateful and respectful I am for your work here ! The simplicity of running ppk's gave me a much needed break from working 12/14 hr days 7 days a week for years as the sole grower for I and my wife's business here in NorCal. I still run my worm farm and compost bins for our dispensary products sold as 100% organic soil grown (tinctures/balms), but love the Jacks/ppk for all the other fun stuff !:woohoo:Best of luck to you,and Thanks again !

howdy and welcome to the asylum! i do intend to change the res once in a while. so far i have not had a stable load on it as i am adding plants to flower weekly.

i'm about to build out another room and will add plants there too.

once i have the entire facility loaded and achieve a stable demand i intend to change it and try to balance the input to match the load.

gmanwho

Veteran
thanks a lot dude! i had seen the simplyhydro link before but not the plantphysiology one and, because of you, i stayed up all night chasing through a series of papers on the subject.

a lot of very interesting stuff but check this one out!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3040.2009.01926.x/full

look at the sheer number of compounds. and the variety.

it is clear the plant is not just putting out waste products. it is putting active agents out into the rhizosphere in order to influence the formation of mineral converting microbes and and aid in the breakdown of minerals.

isnt it crazy. ? 6-8months back i started reading similar articles chasing knowledge on bacterial growth, plant exudates, hormones, amino acids, pharamone/ethyolene alcohol vapors. how they communicate an influence mineral break down to aid uptake and or prevent it. notify other plants. speed or slow the plants metabolism. fungi aid in ca upatake.

this is another reason why ive been into brewing bacterial teas. creating healthy army to feed the plant. amino acids.. vitamins, micros. trying to learn an incorporate all this together....an then, an then learn about how all this can increase your brix levels. wait....brix levels? this is why hydro doesn't taste like soil grown!!! ... i need a few weeks of reading. wait weeks? who am i kidding. more like years of reading an or experimenting ......

a new light for me to follow.

sahdgrower

I have read some interesting material about companion planting and specifically with stinging nettles and how they can transfer silica to other plants through the soil/root web. I wonder if the addition of another plant or plants into the reservoir could assist finding balance and facilitating increased growth and vigor.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
After reading a ton on PPK the one thing I have only seen mentioned briefly is using the PPK outdoors. Granted I am terrible at searching threads so please forgive me if this has been covered. I am getting ready to start my outdoor crop and typically I just go straight in the ground and water with blumats. I would love to do half in the ground and half PPK. Can anyone stear me to a thread that covers this? Specifically I'm interested in what modifications [if any] to make to the system and what size pots to use.... I hope to grow 6 (outdoor limit in my area) trees.
Another question I have is regarding the 1k DE fixtures. I don't have the ceiling height to accommodate but am curious if I couldn't just rotate the whole reflector 90 degrees so as to maintain the horizontal orientation of the bulb but make it so that it throws it's light on the wall instead of the floor, where I would grow on a screen. I have enough floor space I can move the light far enough to maintain proper distance from canopy. Does that make any sense?

there have been quite a few outdoor ppk grows done here but only one thread here on icmag.

but no one has documented their builds that i know of;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287351&highlight=nuthin'+g-thang

check out hl45's outdoor ppk here;

https://www.instagram.com/harvestlarge45/

these trees in both cases were grown in 27 gal yellow top type totes with about 20 gals of medium.

if you use individual pumps like i am doing here you can run the whole thing on this same garden hose.

you can mount the de fixtures to the wall but you won't be able to get any plant material closer than about 30". i've thought about mounting them where the wall meets the ceiling angling down at 45 degrees into the grow. you can imagine 2 of them at opposite sides of the room with the light overlapping in the middle.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
isnt it crazy. ? 6-8months back i started reading similar articles chasing knowledge on bacterial growth, plant exudates, hormones, amino acids, pharamone/ethyolene alcohol vapors. how they communicate an influence mineral break down to aid uptake and or prevent it. notify other plants. speed or slow the plants metabolism. fungi aid in ca upatake.

this is another reason why ive been into brewing bacterial teas. creating healthy army to feed the plant. amino acids.. vitamins, micros. trying to learn an incorporate all this together....an then, an then learn about how all this can increase your brix levels. wait....brix levels? this is why hydro doesn't taste like soil grown!!! ... i need a few weeks of reading. wait weeks? who am i kidding. more like years of reading an or experimenting ......

a new light for me to follow.

chess used to be my game! i liked it because it represented an infinite challenge. mentally stimulating.

now i got a new game!

i'm headed the same way as you looking for small organic inputs that enhance flavor.

in the world of extracts and concentrates terps rule.

we recently took took a bunch of plushberry whole untrimmed bud and ran it through a crude, fast bho extraction. then had that made into the clear but had the terps saved on the side. after the fractionating we then added them back in.

the flavor was outrageous. and that was with jack's and calcinit only. imagine what we can do with small organic inputs added.

Latest posts

Latest posts