What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4 Changes The CARERS MMJ Rescheduling Legislation Would Make

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
From Huffpost:
Aside from the obvious societal and legal implications, the proposal by Senators Rand Paul, Kirsten Gillibrand, and Cory Booker to change marijuana from a Schedule I drug to a Schedule II drug will also have financial ramifications. One of the difficulties in running a marijuana business is dealing with the IRS, still empowered to enforce IRC Code 280E. The code was created during the Reagan era to help in the administration's War on Drugs and specifically prohibits the deduction of normal business expenses from any income derived through the sale of illegal drugs. This includes expenses such as rent and payroll and has resulted in tax rates for some marijuana businesses to approach 70 percent as opposed to a more-normal 30-35 percent. The CARERS Act removes marijuana from the illegal drug category in states with medical marijuana programs. This makes running a marijuana-based business in states with regulated programs more financially feasible and will allow such businesses to lower the amount they charge for their products, better enabling them to compete with back-alley sellers.

Nationwide Ramifications

Another advantage could be the potential impact on interstate commerce. This legislation may eventually enable manufacturers and distributors to move their products across state lines. Currently, products sold within a state must be manufactured in that state, and with the elimination of that restraint, manufacturers could centralize production in a few facilities and ship geographically, potentially increasing their bottom line.

Read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-..._6890256.html?utm_hp_ref=business&ir=Business

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well at least the bankers n pharmaceutical companies can get their greedy hands in the game then. Oh yeah... the bankers already are! They own the cash!
And what about marinol?
Docs can perscribe that all day long!

The Pros don't really outweigh the Cons yet.

Nice try Huff.

Thanks for the laugh Boyd.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Well at least the bankers n pharmaceutical companies can get their greedy hands in the game then. Oh yeah... the bankers already are! They own the cash!

what, you thought that folks with money would not be allowed to play? if there is any money to be made, rest assured that rich cocksuckers will try to get it. no legal way to keep them out, unfortunately.

weedape

Doesn't it bother anyone that schedule 2 requires that the drug be either mentally or physically addictive. Clearly schedule 2 is not right for cannabis because it isn't addictive. Well I suppose some people say it is but I have seen no evidence. Maybe schedule 3 would be a better fit hmmm.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe NO SCHEDULE would fit...

Deregulation is the only thing I'm interested in.

Make it "legal" and "regulate" it - give me 3 flowering plants...bah..

I still can't breed and select from a 500 plants to find the best phenotype in a gene pool. I still can't maintain a proper variety to keep myself from building up a tolerance to a single individual plant..

It only serves to pacify the movement. It is an attempt to gain some modicum of control over something they have clearly lost all control over.

Don't accept half measures. Deregulation or I keep fighting for TRUE freedom to do with my body, on my own land, what brings zero harm to any other being...

Don't fall for the politics. Schedule II completely OBLITERATES the MMJ system in Michigan and allows for massive corporations who have terrible reputations in Canada to take over production and the expense of all patients.

Do be a sucker. They are not doing this for us - they are doing it to stop us.

dank.Frank

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesn't it bother anyone that schedule 2 requires that the drug be either mentally or physically addictive. Clearly schedule 2 is not right for cannabis because it isn't addictive. Well I suppose some people say it is but I have seen no evidence. Maybe schedule 3 would be a better fit hmmm.

If I don't smoke...
I can't sleep & I have difficulty maintaining any kind of focus.
I suffer withdrawl symptoms & cravings.
Is that not an addiction?
I believe it is!

They say food and water aren't addictive either. Lets see how your mental & physical state suffers without it.
^ not the best example but take the rhetoric into consideration. ;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I still can't breed and select from a 500 plants to find the best phenotype in a gene pool. I still can't maintain a proper variety to keep myself from building up a tolerance to a single individual plant..

It only serves to pacify the movement. It is an attempt to gain some modicum of control over something they have clearly lost all control over.

Don't accept half measures. Deregulation or I keep fighting for TRUE freedom to do with my body, on my own land, what brings zero harm to any other being...

Don't fall for the politics. Schedule II completely OBLITERATES the MMJ system in Michigan and allows for massive corporations who have terrible reputations in Canada to take over production and the expense of all patients.

dank.Frank

TRUE FREEDOM excludes any form of regulation. Plant counts included.

I feel that we should be completely free to plant hundreds of square miles if the opportunity were to present itself. :D

On that note...
Everybody can grow...
but...
nit everybody can grow well.

Those that can grow well should have the opportunity to "sell their works of art to whomever they please without any repercussions."

After all...
The Right to labor is a fundamental Right as recognised by the Supreme Court of the US of A.

CannaBrix

dank.Frank

Definitely.

If alcohol and tobacco (or nicotine) are not scheduled, how can anybody believe cannabis should be scheduled?

weedape

Well it seems your point is that you need cannabis to function. This alone doesn’t make it addictive. Needing it because you used it previously is the definition of addiction. Also the two aren’t necessarily always mutually exclusive. A pain patient could need opiates for an injury and at the same time be addicted. The case for addiction is generally that there is some actual withdrawal and for marijuana users that is not the case. A neat little study was performed wherein several habitual recreational cannabis users were gathered and administered regular doses of THC for an extended period of time in a hospital. Then all of them were administered a now banned drug named rimonobant, which blockades the brain and body’s cannabinoid receptors. The patients were then observed for symptoms of withdrawal and to the surprise of no one familiar with the drugs actual effects, none were noted. Not restlessness, insomnia, or irritability. I think a lot of people make the decision to abstain in times of change and stress in an attempt to be “all there” for important decisions or actions in life. Now they are facing trials, in many cases actual legal trials, without a stress reliever. That could be confused easily with withdrawal.

Latest posts

Latest posts