What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

metadata 101: read me before uploading photos

lalstalls

I do remove my EXIF data, and check that it's erased using a web tool.

But while I agree that relying on a third party (like ICM) to remove the data is unwise, I have no idea what ICM's rationale for leaving EXIF data intact could be - especially given how easy it is to remove it using server-side scripts.

I know the site is privately operated, and so I would not complain about this. But hopefully ideas offered in a friendly spirit and in the interest of all users will be entertained.

Thanks for a great site!

G

This is an older thread but for casual users like me this is what I do. Use a digital camera. I just upgraded to a sweet Cannon. Load pics on my machine and I have a photobuck account with a gmail address that contains no personal info. Use photobucket to post pics on sites like this. I presume I'm fairly safe. My digital cam has no info other than the date. I hope.

The problem is not the data in the pics, the problem is the site administrators and moderators who can see your ip address, and with a quick internet search can see who you are and where you live.
Then they can put our address into google maps and see pictures for your house.
Then they can do a reverse phone book search and find your phone number.
Then they can google your name and find out all about you, and heavens help you if you are facebook.

That's why I deleted my photo's.

If they want me to post photo's of plants, then they must implement a system where your Ip address can't be see.