What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

Mr.Cannabrex

My recipe is similar, but I absolutely feel it necessary to soak the cannabis in an ice bath to remove the chlorophyll BEFORE cooking it in the butter.
I fill a large bowl with water and ice cubes and soak the cannabis material in that - quite often I use trim. I soak it several hours, or until the water has turned a green/brown color. I usually change the water every few hours until the water stays clear.

Then I cook it in the double-boiler - with no water - and strain with cheesecloth.
I can get a nice yellow butter this way. Very powerful.

Mind you, My butter usually ends up in cookies made for sick people who do not smoke cannabis, and want their cookies/omeletes/etc not to taste of cannabis or plants in general, but like the food would taste without the thc.

Enjoy.

PS - To be honest, since we developped Cannabrex, I do not make cannabutter anymore, but use the capsules.
When I do feel like making baked goods, or get a request for some, I will simply mix some kif powder into the dry mixture of what I am baking/cooking (flour, ect) and use regular butter. The results are similar - and no extra work or mess.

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
hey guys, i am cooking up 1/8th oz right now using 4 tbls of butter, how stong is this stuff gunna be? i just wanted to try it out

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
I'd use 1 stick or more of butter. For an 1/8th if it has no seeds.only make a small amount of cookies, with an 1/8th worth of canna butter you'll want about 10-15 cookies

Then dont smoke the day you try them. And after 30-90 minutes later watch out :wave:

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
umm... uh oh...

i ate half of the batch, my girlfriend the other... hasn't fully kicked in, but i know i'm in for a ride

what a beautiful day outside

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
wet will do. I personally like to use dry but I really dont feel it makes a difference execpt there might be less cloraphyl

If you use trim/leaves, do they need to be dried and crumbled or can you use fresh leaves?

If dried, can year old leaves be used? I assume so?

junit

I would assume so? Would the same go for Buds?.. Maybe if i water flushed a freshly cut plant for a day beforei decided to cook with it? bascially for ingesting the plant matter whatever form, it does not have to be dry? correct?

G

My first budder! :woohoo: Thanks Haschishin! (...and others who gave tips) :wave:

I made 1lb using about 1-1/2 oz (42 grams) of bud that had cured for 6 weeks. This bud was grown from commercial blueberry bagseeds and was very sweet yet bland smelling/tasting.

Yesterday I made a pan of brownies with 1/2lb of the budder. I made 24 brownies from the pan. You could barely taste the weed. When you would breath through the brownie while biting it, you get a mild spinach flavor.

My wife ate 2 of them and loved them. I ate 4 and remember feeling like a valium type relaxation before I awoke on the sofa at about 2am :pointlaug

Last edited:

1twisted1

glasspackedbowl said:
id use it within 2 weeks

Can you just freeze it. I buy my butter in bulk, a case at a time and freeze it. Would it keep its potency if I freeze it?
If No one knows then I guess I will have to try :)
peace all

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
have no idea about freezin it. I know that after 2 weeks the butter rots from the THC kinda like yogert, It has a shelf life.

1Twist - I have frozen butter and gotten effects when cooking with it. I cant be sure if there was any lesser effect but no one noticed it.

I posted 2 pages back about a double oiler method. i realized now that since I wnet to this (water + Butter) method I dont need the double boiler.

Hint - if you cant keep the water at a simmer add more water! It doesnt matter how much water since it will seperate when freezing

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Hello All!

Finally - They activated my account. Only took about 2 weeks - Must be a security measure.

I used this butter recipe last night and the butter turned out really well. Not sure of the potency yet. Hopefully it will be decent. I used about an oz of trim and fan leaves. Threw in the stalks for good measure. It wasn't completely dry - but about 50% dry. Didn't use any bud. The plants it came from were about 7 weeks into flowering. Had to chop them because we're moving. Hopefully it will be worth the time I spent. If not - great learning experience.

One question though. I had a hard time getting the temperature correct - had the flame on the lowest it would go as I was steeping the butter, pot, water mix. I would keep stirring it every couple of minutes or when the water started to roll. Is this correct or should I let the mix get a little hotter or keep it a little cooler?

Thanks.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
your looking for a simmer. Which is almost the lowest setting. Using a double boiler is best for that exact reason. There cheap. If you burn the butter/get it just slighlty too hott you destroy the thc. :wave: this happens at 375degrees.

Try using a candy thermometer and keep it at 200 or so. Maybe 175 to 200

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
glasspackedbowl said:
your looking for a simmer. Which is almost the lowest setting. Using a double boiler is best for that exact reason. There cheap. If you burn the butter/get it just slighlty too hott you destroy the thc. :wave: this happens at 375degrees.

Try using a candy thermometer and keep it at 200 or so. Maybe 175 to 200

I'll give that a go, thanks. I was wondering, cause the 3 different recipes that I put it into didn't do the trick at all. I wasn't expecting much, 7 week 12/12 bagseed trim. But I had hoped for more than a belly ache. Followed the instructions laid out here - butter turned out perfect. I'll deffinetly use this recipe again.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Latest posts