Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Gibberellic acid reversal, seeds Hermaphroditic.

Thread Title Search
Gibberellic acid reversal, seeds Hermaphroditic. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2018, 01:32 AM #1
gmanwho

gmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant future
Gibberellic acid reversal, 2nd batch of seeds Hermaphroditic, and not 1st batch

So 10 years ago i used Gibberellic acid on my Lavender plant. Collected the pollen. Hit 2 plants with the same pollen.

One plant hit was itself, a " lavender" plant we got from a san fran dispo like 2005ish. then i hit my bag seed plant Early pearl.

At the time the early pearl was a great plant, an 10 years later if i still had the original i can only speculate that it would hold its own today with the 20+ other lines im holding. at the least it is upsetting to myself an others that early pearl cut was lost. i have searched through a few leads with no luck

A few years ago when i grew out the lavender x lavender (R) plants they where all female, no actual lower balls. maybe a few top bananas.... top top cola bananas probably from high heat or light stress.

now i started the early pearl x lavender (R) 24 seeds , 22 popped. lost like 6 afterwards to damping off most likely caused from being over watered. A fungi like circle grew at the base of the stem an surrounding soil. The rest that made it grew healthy with no known problems. I just flipped 9 plants

so the first 4 plants showed ballls balls balls with no female pistols. I immediately thought how could this be to have full blown males.
I thought maybe i mislabeled the seed bag, or maybe i put some early pearl seeds i may have found during previous trims into the same bag. but i doubt i would have done that, in fact im pretty sure i would never do that an simply keep separate and label accordingly

the remanding 5 plants show female pistols and no balls. fast forward 20 days. 2 are now showing a few lower sacks.

is it possible the g acid levels carried over in the seed are enough to effect the offspring? if so could the clones possibly become more stable once the g-acid levels are lowered as the cut is grown out? Or is it just the early pearl genetics are not as stable compared to the first cross made?

thoughts? Have you experienced anything similar with g-acid, one cross was stable and the others not.
gmanwho is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 PM #2
gmanwho

gmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxlost View Post
Well you had six die from damping off. You can't rule off stress from soil pathogens. That's almost 25% loss from disease, the rest definitely were affected
Thanks for the reply. they did have a setback there. do you think the pathogens could have effected the plant months later even when they where growing happy and healthy?

i went back an edited the original post as i should have mentioned they could have been drowned out, which caused the damping off. at first when i originally posted , i was trying not to make the post over complicated and or to hard to follow with my poor writing skills.

what i should've said was that i had noticed my help had added to much water to the cups prior to them dying off. i had then placed the seedling cups on top of papertowels to help draw out water. it worked well an may have saved others but was probably to late. few days later some sort of fungus or bacteria started growing at the base of the stem. ghostly colored web growing in a circle pattern ontop the soil an growing up stem. like a circle tent.

i should also add all my mediums i run ewc teas. i also inoculate my soil or hydro mediums with mycos azo an trichoderma bacteria and fungi. a few others as well in the earthjuice biorighteous or recharge.

the plants where healthy the rest of their life, And today. im gonna let them ride some more as its an experimental room i built to go thru seedlings an hopefully find some keepers.

i went an inspected the 5 an removed all balls an lower larf sites. gonna keep an eye on them an see if new sacs appear.

i also plan on flowering one more clone of each asap, to see if those still carry. which i feel probably will still carry the intersex traits. just an experiment an something to learn at this point
gmanwho is offline Quote

Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 PM #3
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Low nitrogen early on is supposed to cause pure males and hermies.

If your soil is to salted down to begin with, this stress alone will cause lots of males.

Are you reusing soil?
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 05:48 AM #4
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxlost View Post
So you're saying that plant sex is not determined at seed formation in the chromosome and that environmental factors contribute to sex selection?
Read here. End of page 735 to 738

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00314-0067.pdf

Many cells are not differentiated as early on as folks think!
TO THIS WORLD

Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 AM #5
clearheaded

clearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the rough
pretty straight forward case here. looks like u picked a seed out of a hermi plant ie bagseed.. often is the case these are hermi plants. u just got luck with ur cut but exploring the line u have found its hermi/intersex tendancys..
clearheaded is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:17 PM #6
NzGreenWhanau

NzGreenWhanau will become famous soon enoughNzGreenWhanau will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
Read here. End of page 735 to 738

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...00314-0067.pdf

Many cells are not differentiated as early on as folks think!
Cheers that was an interesting read
NzGreenWhanau is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2018, 12:13 AM #7
gmanwho

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearheaded View Post
pretty straight forward case here. looks like u picked a seed out of a hermi plant ie bagseed.. often is the case these are hermi plants. u just got luck with ur cut but exploring the line u have found its hermi/intersex tendancys..
sounds like my most likely scenario. didnt even cross my mind that the early pearl was a herm to begin with.

appreciate every ones response's

still gonna flower out some smalls of 1 clone of each to see if it still carries. 2 didnt have any intersex, hoping keepers maybe?

i have like another 6 or 8 i haven't flowered yet. maybe a couple shots at another 2 or 3 stable keepers within those.

keep rocking!!!
gmanwho is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2018, 03:47 AM #8
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
Low nitrogen early on is supposed to cause pure males and hermies.

If your soil is to salted down to begin with, this stress alone will cause lots of males.
Although diecious, sexual expression in cannabis is not absolute. As we all know, hermaphrodites can sometimes be observed and stress can obviously play a part in their expression.

That being said, following fertilization the developing seed either be a female with two X chomosomes, or a male with an X and a Y. Nothing can happen from this point on that can change this fact. Even if a female is stressed to the point of appearing male, it is still a female.
Natural high is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:23 PM #9
clearheaded

clearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the roughclearheaded is a jewel in the rough
good point NH, they are not true hermis but intersex. real hermis are like hemp grown around here with ruffly half of each type of flower.
clearheaded is offline Quote

Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 PM #10
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural high View Post
Although diecious, sexual expression in cannabis is not absolute. As we all know, hermaphrodites can sometimes be observed and stress can obviously play a part in their expression.

That being said, following fertilization the developing seed either be a female with two X chomosomes, or a male with an X and a Y. Nothing can happen from this point on that can change this fact. Even if a female is stressed to the point of appearing male, it is still a female.
Yeah, happens to people too! haha..
TO THIS WORLD