What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana use linked to depression

zbenjii

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0503c.shtml

Marijuana use may be harmful to mental health

Think smoking marijuana is harmless? Think again. Chronic users of the drug often find themselves lacking motivation. Some even seem depressed or have other signs of mental illness. But does chronic marijuana use lead to psychiatric problems? Or do people suffering from mental illness use marijuana to self-medicate? While this drug was becoming increasingly popular with young people in the 1990s, researchers were busy trying to figure out if marijuana was a cause or an effect of psychiatric problems. And their work seems to have paid off. Research now indicates that marijuana use increases the risk of depression, as well as schizophrenia. But at the same time, depressed people do not use marijuana more often than their non-depressed counterparts.
In an Australian study, researchers interviewed 1,600 14- and 15-year-olds, then again seven years later. Participants filled out a questionnaire, reporting on their use of marijuana and symptoms of depression or anxiety. A surprising 60% of the participants had used marijuana by the time they were 20. The researchers found that the young women who had used marijuana weekly as teenagers were twice as likely to have depression as a young adult than women who did not use the drug. Daily use as a teenager was associated with four times the risk of depression for young women.
Also, among the young adults, women who used marijuana daily were five times more likely to experience depression and anxiety than those who did not use the drug. However, the researchers found no relationship between teenage depression and anxiety and later use of marijuana. This refutes the idea that youths suffering from depression turn to marijuana as a way of self-medicating.
Another study involved close to 2,000 participants in the Baltimore area who were interviewed in 1980 and then again between 1994 and 1996. The researchers assessed the participants for signs of marijuana abuse and symptoms of depression. Researchers defined abusers of marijuana as people for whom the drug caused social problems, such as inability to perform at work. The results showed people who initially did not have depressive symptoms but abused marijuana were more than four times as likely to have depressive symptoms at the follow-up date than those who did not abuse marijuana. The depressive symptoms associated with earlier marijuana abuse included suicidal thoughts and a feeling of boredom. As in the Australian study, participants with depressive symptoms at the start of the study were not more likely to abuse marijuana later on than participants without such symptoms.
Marijuana use has also been linked to schizophrenia. In a study of 50,000 Swedish military draftees, the use of marijuana during adolescence was associated with a 30% increase in risk of developing schizophrenia. The study also showed a higher risk of schizophrenia with more frequent marijuana use. The researchers of this study found these results were independent of personality traits and the use of other drugs.
From these studies, it is clear that marijuana use is related to subsequent depression and schizophrenia. It is still not clear, however, whether marijuana triggers the onset of illness in individuals predisposed to such conditions or whether it actually causes the illnesses. Some researchers believe that psychosocial factors that result from marijuana use—such as educational failure and unemployment—may contribute to depression. Other researchers think that marijuana may have a lasting chemical effect on the central nervous system and its functions involving memory, emotion, cognition, and movement.
In addition to its widespread availability, marijuana’s recent popularity may be largely based on the perception that it is safer than cigarettes and alcohol, according to an editorial in the British Medical Journal. But these studies show marijuana is not the harmless drug many believe it is, but that it can have a negative impact on your mental health.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Which came first depression or persecution ?

The powers that b quit trying to kill me maybe I would not be so depressed and skitzo!

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I was first diagnosed with depression at age 11.

I didn't smoke cannabis AT ALL until I was at least 19, and I didn't start smoking regularly until several years later.

Case closed.

Finepointcanon

Veteran
For the sake of information and honesty I will say that when I smoke like a fish I do feel more down, everything in moderation. If I smoke once a day or twice a day, smoking sativa strains, then weed definitely improves my quality of life; the older I get the more I need to laugh at the world. Weed is great for that, but when I use it to ignore the world, it definitely lets me slip down in the wrong direction.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Lol @ depression. Hey if your not happy per this questionnaire, and your life ddoesn't fit into these boxes, your obviously depressed

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
zbenjii, whats with all the anti cannabis posts today?

you forget what site you are on?

zbenjii

zbenjii, whats with all the anti cannabis posts today?

you forget what site you are on?

I've been a heavy smoker for a couple of years and have realized marijuana has pros and cons. There are certain aspects of marijuana use that should be known by everyone..especially those who grow and smoke the most.

Although I love marijuana and it's short term effects, i should have known a few things before I ever got started. The same way cigarette packs have warning signs, marijuana should have it's own warning signs.

- feeling of depression and anxiety may become stronger once high has worn off
- feelings of apathy may increase after use
- decreases motivation to accomplish tasks
- decreases ability to connect with non-medicated individuals

sso

Veteran
lol..

notice how this is worded "Think smoking marijuana is harmless? Think again."

reminds me of reefer madness the movie..

cannabis helps me with depression (and mania, im rapid cycling bipolar) which i was diagnosed with before i ever started smoking (mj basically saved me life :))

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
These so called studies, they don't prove anything. If 1000 people become depressed it doesn't mean that eveyone will be. Let's make our own experiments. If some people will smoke something very indica dominant, daily, a whole week, I'm sure that at some time most of them will experience feelings of lazyness or some sort of sadness, but let's not blame weed for everything we might feel. Some people get sad or depressed because of other problems and maybe weed doesn't help but I don't think it makes it worse

sso

Veteran
I've been a heavy smoker for a couple of years and have realized marijuana has pros and cons. There are certain aspects of marijuana use that should be known by everyone..especially those who grow and smoke the most.

Although I love marijuana and it's short term effects, i should have known a few things before I ever got started. The same way cigarette packs have warning signs, marijuana should have it's own warning signs.

- feeling of depression and anxiety may become stronger once high has worn off because weed costs alot of money and it helps and they cant have anymore yet?
- feelings of apathy may increase after usesociety sucks, no wonder people feel that way sometimes. (specially smokers who know the real grimy underbelly of the beast)
- decreases motivation to accomplish tasksever listened to bill hicks? cannabis only decreases motivation for shitty sucky stuff we shouldnt be doing in the first place.
- decreases ability to connect with non-medicated individualsdont you mean decreases ability to connect with people you know arent cool with your weedsmoking? (they want to jail you after all or worse) (seriously decreases my motivation to talk to them :))

so hey :)

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

- feeling of depression and anxiety may become stronger once high has worn off
- feelings of apathy may increase after use
- decreases motivation to accomplish tasks
- decreases ability to connect with non-medicated individuals

For every one of these lame ass studies you have been quoting...there are more that say they are wrong--

L

longwaters

It seems to have different effects on everybody. If medicating helps you, take the negative study results with a grain of salt.

zbenjii

For every one of these lame ass studies you have been quoting...there are more that say they are wrong--

of course, people make money off of marijuana. quoting studies about the dangers of tobacco to a tobacco farmer would likely get the same type of responses

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is a healing plant, not the harmfull drug you claim it to be.
even with heavy use it doesn't even come close to the dangers of alcohol & cigarettes.

i went along with what doctors/psychiatrists told me to take for almost a decade and it ruined my life more then you can believe.

5 years going strong without that shit in my body and what do i have to thank for my regaining mental health? CANNABIS!

don't try to fool us with this crap

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
For me, I have a hard time relating to other people if I'm NOT high.

In a group of (sugar-addled, caffeine-numbed, percoset-chomping, cigarette smoking, etc.) "sober" people, I am at my best (friendly, chatty, looking-on-the-bright-side) when I am slightly baked.

I rarely drink, unless you count a shot of Green Dragon Everclear every now and again. (One shot lasts all day!)

When I am sober I am often seen as "glowering", "pessimistic", "cranky", "knowitall", "asshole" (Hence "Anti".)

I try to do the rest of the world a favor and stay high as often as possible.

zbenjii

this is a healing plant, not the harmfull drug you claim it to be.
even with heavy use it doesn't even come close to the dangers of alcohol & cigarettes.

i went along with what doctors/psychiatrists told me to take for almost a decade and it ruined my life more then you can believe.

5 years going strong without that shit in my body and what do i have to thank for my regaining mental health? CANNABIS!

don't try to fool us with this crap

Prescription pills lead to addictions and withdrawals.

marijuana has pros and cons just as cigarettes, alcohol, and pills do.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
For real, my girlfriend - a non-smoking, non-drinker - encourages my smoking. For her sake.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
On the con side... if you smoke too much for too long, you can end up with COPD, which is bad news. If you alternate your smoking with vaping/medibles, you can avoid this. Don't be the guy who takes the biggest bong load and never coughs. That shit DOES come back to haunt you. Sensibility in all things.

Too much water will kill you.

sso

Veteran
For me, I have a hard time relating to other people if I'm NOT high.

In a group of (sugar-addled, caffeine-numbed, percoset-chomping, cigarette smoking, etc.) "sober" people, I am at my best (friendly, chatty, looking-on-the-bright-side) when I am slightly baked.

i concur, wtf are sober people?
I rarely drink, unless you count a shot of Green Dragon Everclear every now and again. (One shot lasts all day!)

When I am sober I am often seen as "glowering", "pessimistic", "cranky", "knowitall", "asshole" (Hence "Anti".)
i often need about 5 tokes in the morning to stop wanting to blow up the world :)
I try to do the rest of the world a favor and stay high as often as possible.

ditto and i have to say, after 20 years of heavy smoking, thanks to cannabis for being cannabis

any problems?

yeah, assholes with power and the assmonkeys that keep them there :)

sso

Veteran
On the con side... if you smoke too much for too long, you can end up with COPD, which is bad news. If you alternate your smoking with vaping/medibles, you can avoid this. Don't be the guy who takes the biggest bong load and never coughs. That shit DOES come back to haunt you. Sensibility in all things.

Too much water will kill you.

yeah i agree, everything in moderation,dont take huge tokes, if you are at that point, quit for a few months, then start again with small tokes.

ive been smoking 20 years and i take half a fingernails worth in every bowl.

see after that break, you will get the same high from that as from the huge bowls (i quit for 7 months)

and i betcha if you take huge bowls, its not because you ever felt less high from smaller, i betcha ya started in big bowls cause all yer friends were doing it :)

and once ya were doing the big bowls and accustomed to it , yer tolerance was through the roof and could accept anything else.