What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

bostrom155

This looks promising. Are you guys re using your mix, minus the roots. I get the big brown bag of course perlite, and its a local mom and pop nursery. Dont want to be buying alot of perlite

Also if i normally use a soiless mix(LC1) in a 3 gallon to flower could i use a smaller bucket with same results???? like 2 gallons

MickFoster

A couple of months ago I asked the question about using hydroton in hempy buckets and everyones response was it will not work because it dries out too fast. Nobody had any experience with it but had decided that it would not work. Well I tried it anyway and had excellent results. I grew 4 satori's in 2-1/2 gallon buckets with hydroton and yielded about 2 oz. per plant. All the plants were in perfect health throughout the grow. Just thought I'd share with you hempy growers.

A couple of months ago I asked the question about using hydroton in hempy buckets and everyones response was it will not work because it dries out too fast. Nobody had any experience with it but had decided that it would not work. Well I tried it anyway and had excellent results. I grew 4 satori's in 2-1/2 gallon buckets with hydroton and yielded about 2 oz. per plant. All the plants were in perfect health throughout the grow. Just thought I'd share with you hempy growers.

Mick, hi, havent met you yet.
I am giving up a planned DWC for hempy buckets. DWC = too many pumps/chiller/problems for my small apt, IMO.
How much light / what size room did you get that 2 oz from Satori's with? I have Satori from mandala ordered.

Also, when you say you used hydroton, do you mean you just filled the bucket like you would with Perlite/Vermiculite mix? As in, all the way up?

I like the idea of straight hydroton, even though the initial cost is higher....MUCH easier to re-use.

I may use a few hydroton, a few perlite mix and see which one is tops.

Any help is appreciated.

S

SoFreshnSOGreen

I am giving up a planned DWC for hempy buckets. DWC = too many pumps/chiller/problems for my small apt, IMO.
How much light / what size room did you get that 2 oz from Satori's with? I have Satori from mandala ordered.

Also, when you say you used hydroton, do you mean you just filled the bucket like you would with Perlite/Vermiculite mix? As in, all the way up?

I like the idea of straight hydroton, even though the initial cost is higher....MUCH easier to re-use.

Any help is appreciated.
yeah i'm curious now too....

does the hole 7/16 ...... does that mean, the hole should be just under half an inch thick?

the purpose if the hole is to let the water out.. I make mine about 3/8" I am thinking that the hole should be big enough to drain the water, mall enough to hold the media...

I used to line the bottom of the bucket with nylon mesh to keep the media in,, not this time.. not much vermiculite/pearlite is coming out..will have to see if the roots try to peak out..

Nylon works good, but I'll go 1 better- small chunks of window screening, glued to the pot. Inside if you want, or outside. Use water-proof glue or water-proof adhesive/caulk, though- Superglue will loosen with water.
Now, where can I find some small, round pieces of screening, like you might put in a pipe? HMMM hmmmmm I dunno, maybe a headshop sells 'em. :2cents:

Of course, as long as the hole is big enough for water to drain you are fine. pencil size should do it.

dmoose

Hempy Rulez!

Hempy Rulez!

:joint:I just had to add my experiences to this great thread! And extra rep+ for MickFoster for not listening to everyone, and showing us that Hydroton alone works! I took 2 plants in 18 Oz Hempy Dixie Cups with 100% Perlite all the way to Harvest, and pulled 13.6g and 16.1g dry.

IMG_4110.jpg

I also Bogged some Dixie cups into 1 gallon plastic Coffee Containers that I filled 1/3 way with Hydroton, then the rest of the way with the standard 3 parts Perlite, and 1 part Vermiculite. But after moving them around it was all mixed together. Worked Great! Each plant provided between 1 and 1.5 Ounces

IMG_4423.jpg

Recently bought the Big Chunky Perlite, and love it! Once these last 3 Soil plants Harvest, I will be 100% Hempy! Next experiment will be converting a few DIY Ebb/Flow Tables to Top Feed Drip Systems and automate the feeding process. I lost 2 Moms, trying to take a vacation!

MickFoster

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes I use 100% hydroton. My room is a 3' x 3' x 8' with a 600w HPS.

D

Dalaihempy

You guys need to keep it simple why over complicate the most simple of things honestly.

The drain hole will do what its there for the medium will not run out why add screens.

j6p why would you need to the rez holds inuf and by stoping the roots heading to the rez your achiveing what if a plant standing over 7 ft tall in a 10 lt bucket holding over a pound of flower cured that can be waterd every 2 days in summer is that not inuf by doing what you have achives what personaly ?.

By adding a plastic insert covering the rez and adding a bottle or cup in the middle to hold more achives what il tell you it reduces the erea of your root ball it does not allow the tap root and root ball to grow directly into the rez as it should and on top of all this your achiving how much extra valume in the rez little if any.

I would rather go in every few days water have a little look at the plants and water them and go .

one Q

Quality
Veteran
By adding a plastic insert covering the rez and adding a bottle or cup in the middle to hold more achives what il tell you it reduces the erea of your root ball it does not allow the tap root and root ball to grow directly into the rez as it should and on top of all this your achiving how much extra valume in the rez little if any.
Let me preface this reply by first saying that I have SO Much respect for you Hempy. All Mutha Fuckn Day :joint: I sat and watched you get Flamed over at HG and was SOOO pissed. Every thread about hempys got locked. :mad:

That being said, I must say that I am a pretty smart guy. When I feel I need to improve something for MY personal uses, Ill try it out and see. So I did.

Yes, it does limit the root space a little bit, but ALOT of roots gather down in that cup. Doing this for a few hempys in comparison did the following...
1) Allowed me to run Hempy "style" coir in water bottles that before my mod had to be watered every day to twice a day. Now with my mod, in the height of flowering there has been 25" sog plant in 1L of root space watering everyday, yeilding 14g. While not in the height of flowering, young and final week and a half, every other day to 3rd day. This is in a 1.5L bottle cut and filled to only 1L. This is for ME an improvment.

The same concept applied to 1/2gallon and 1.25 gallon buckets has afforded me 3-4days w/o watering (with coir type hempy style)

2) This mod has also granted me more water capacity. Where the 1L bottles would only hold a few ounces they hold a few more. The 1gallon cans hold LOTS of water, and go days w/o much but a glance. Once you get used to my mod, you can use the classic "lift the pot" method of checking if they need water.

All I did really is take Hempy and cross them with the ideas of an EarthBox. A "hempy box" if you will.

Just MY exp. not trying to reinvent your shit, just sharing what I found works for me :2cents: Read my sig please.

Peace
and much love the Hempy

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Good thread, lots of variations on this. How many of you use nutes other than GH 3part w/ the formula on the bottle? I am wondering, I know some strains have lower tolerances than others, so how does that come into play? Anyone use the Lucas formula? Any PBP users? I can't imagine that this method ONLY works w/ GH following their formula on the back of the bottle?
The only thing I don't like is watering everyday. There is a thread around here somewhere that someone puts a 4 gallon square into a 5 gallon bucket, punches a hole in the middle of the bottom of the 4 gallon, and puts a wick down through that and it goes into the 5 gallon which they use as a rez. They seem like similar ideas, the latter is used w/ coco, but I would think that you could do a hempy variation w/ this, ahww!!!!!
Sorry, I am delerious and just lost all train of thought. Nevermind..

jakeh

"Anyone use the Lucas formula?"
I've been using head's formula with a coir bucket (3" of perlite at bottom). It has been working very well. I've never used plain water or had any ph or other lockout problems. Mine has been outdoors as well which I have not seen anyone else doing. It will be a long time before I do anything differently. So simple, cheap and highly effective.
jake

D

Dalaihempy

Good thread, lots of variations on this. How many of you use nutes other than GH 3part w/ the formula on the bottle? I am wondering, I know some strains have lower tolerances than others, so how does that come into play? Anyone use the Lucas formula? Any PBP users? I can't imagine that this method ONLY works w/ GH following their formula on the back of the bottle?
The only thing I don't like is watering everyday. There is a thread around here somewhere that someone puts a 4 gallon square into a 5 gallon bucket, punches a hole in the middle of the bottom of the 4 gallon, and puts a wick down through that and it goes into the 5 gallon which they use as a rez. They seem like similar ideas, the latter is used w/ coco, but I would think that you could do a hempy variation w/ this, ahww!!!!!
Sorry, I am delerious and just lost all train of thought. Nevermind..

You need to read my posts mate you water daily when you first add a clone or seedling as the top medium drys out and once you see the plant show some growth you can back that off as the plant has sent roots down towards the rez .

Its commonsence for the most part some of the question a lot seam to ask amaze me honestly.

How hard is it honestly ? You read the nutrient instructions you mix it as directed and you water your plants it dont get much more easy than this.

You water daily for about a week max so the seedling or freshly rooted clone throws down some roots and then depending on the room temps and the size of your buckets and plants you could water from every 2 days to every 4 days now if thats to much effert then what can i say.

A 10lt H-bucket with perlite / vermic or perlite or coco core will hold in the medium and rez around 5 to 6L of nutrient rich water now isnt that inuf and you dont need to check the rez as you would other methods and rejust.

jakeh i have been useing coco core for about a year now and i like it a lot the only thing i do to it before i use it is flush with fresh water i tryed it with normal hydro nutrients and not coco nutrients to see and the resolts were very good the only thing you need to do is as you have worked out is fill the rez with be it perlite or glay rocks or im going to try coco chips next so it allows the core to drain and work as it should.

I dont realy cear what people do or try but i do cear tho if they post things and make out iv sed it or post things that are un true but reality is there are many methods of growing use what works for you me i use my method and have for decades and i have tryed diffrent methods of growing i use my method becouse it works for me i have yet to find a method that needs as little effert as this and achives the resolts this method has the only other systeam of hydro i my self like is NFT but with NFT you have to clean your rez each month and ajust your rez almost daily in summer in winter every 2 days be it add water or half strenth or full strength nutrients depending on your rez ph in short its effert and work and then you need to hope you dont have a pump fail and the rest of the dramas that can come the only thing you can do to couse dramas from a hempy bucket is mix your nutrients rong or you dont follow the basic formula in short.