What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scrog question - How do you fill the screen after 12/12?

So, this is my second attempt at scrog, but I still have a few questions...

I keep reading how you're supposed to train the plant under the screen until you have 50% of your screen filled, then flip over to 12/12 and in the 2 weeks stretch the plant will fill the rest of the screen.

Ok.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but after you switch to 12/12, aren't you supposed to stop training the plant under the screen, and let the shoots go up and grow a few inches above the screen during the 2 weeks stretch, and these will be your buds in the end?

So my question is: if you're supposed to let the shoots go through the screen after 12/12, this means the plant will be growing vertically, not horizontally, right? If that's the case, then how is the screen supposed to go from 50% full to 100% full? Where is all the horizontal growth coming from?

I don't actually care about filling the whole screen up, I just wanna grow properly. I've got one Female Seeds Grapefruit that has been flowering for like 3 days and it looks like there'll be around 12 bud sites, so I guess that's fine. But I want to nail this technique, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
i think if you don't continue to train the branches they will grow too tall and uneven to create a true scrog. the plant will turn its side branches into main shoots that don't stretch much they just grow up into nugs straight above the screen.

i mean hell if you don't care about a perfectly even or short canopy you can let the shoots you've got going stretch on up i guess.. no big deal really its just whatever the person wants to have happen.

:wave:

G

You arent vegging long enough IMO

Filling the screen to about 2/3 or 3/4 will serve you better...

G

I had this same question when beggining Formaldehyde. I did some research on it and came across a thread on OG that said it was just fine to keep training for 10-12 days into 12/12. I have run that procedure everytime in my SCROGS and never had any problems. But after that week and half dont touch them but some pruning here and there and you will be just fine. SCROG is excellent for training and yield, I have gotten it down to almost garunteed 3.5 zips per plant under a 400w HPS. Good luck and keep it green.

Moneyshot

dope_roor

newb question,

ive never trained SCROG before but im very interested... so it works by letting the plant grow through a "square" on the screen and then pulling the tip down through another "square" next to it? does it need to be exactly adjacent to it? do you then kind of "sprial" it around, filling the square in a twist pattern starting the from the middle of the screen? (can u visualize what im saying? not sure lol)

Last edited:
G

I can visualize what you are saying and you only get to the point where you're circling a single square once your screen is filled. The basic idea is before putting under a screen you should top/FIM it to get some side branches a bit of time to grow up to the same level. Notice the branches begin to resemble legs spreading out over the screen. You then place your screen over the plant and any part of the plant that sticks above the screen by atleast an inch you tie it down to the screen, check for pics below. Due to nature that tip that you just tied down will begin to turn towards the sun/light right away and every time it gets a bit to tall tie it back down. Notice the branches begin to resemble legs spreading out over the screen. I personally keep doing this process until either my screen is full or until I am about 10 days into flower, I hope this helps and check out a few of the pics below. PM me if you have more questions or just ask in here. Cheers.

Moneyshot

mtnjohn

Veteran
to answer your question...it is strain dependent...some stretch more than others...also depends on how many plants you have per sq ft of screen

i run 4 plants in 2.7 sq ft.

i usually train my plants till about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks into flower

you may want to read this scrog article by "scw"
it's kinda old ...but still the best

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=46038&highlight=scw

mj

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
sucks that you could've fit 3-4 times that many tops in that screen moneyshot.. my advice would be veg and train even longer than that example if you're really going for a big yield.

G

That was just that certain strain, Wonder Haze which was pretty lanky. But for the most part I have the SCROG thing down pretty well. Here is a 5' wide box and 2' deep. I have the screen about 6-7" above the buckets and I have 500 watts that are about 8" away from the canopy tops. Cheers

Moneyshot

Creeptic

like someone said... depends on the strain and how much it stretches

id say let the screen get 70-80% filled then make the flip... 50% will most likely leave u with alot of empty space that could be filled with bud... depends on the strain tho...

this is just 2 plants... the downside of a good scrog is veg time but its made up for with the yield... these were vegged for about 65 days... this was sour diesel ibl... which stretches alot

this was right before i made the flip to 12/12
8720topview.jpg

87202plants.jpg

continued training them for about a week into their stretch

this is at day 49 of flower
8720day49_1.jpg

8720day41_3.jpg

Brian1975

I used some ornamental fencing, that slid up and down on posts, to control my stretch and I FIM'd. Was able to get them in and out with ease and after they were done stretching, I took the fencing right out.
A top shot of the big one from last pic.
Loved her branching.

Sante

In DoPa
I had this same question when beggining Formaldehyde. I did some research on it and came across a thread on OG that said it was just fine to keep training for 10-12 days into 12/12. I have run that procedure everytime in my SCROGS and never had any problems. But after that week and half dont touch them but some pruning here and there and you will be just fine. SCROG is excellent for training and yield, I have gotten it down to almost garunteed 3.5 zips per plant under a 400w HPS. Good luck and keep it green.

Moneyshot
Hi! Just to know : what oes "zip" mean? Is the same mean of Oz? Regards and sorry for OT.

Dr.King

Veteran
I would recommend filling up almost 100% of the screen, letting them grow vertically if you have the height and grow time. After letting them grow vertically for another 2 weeks here's a huge tip for massive yields under low watts add a second screen to your scrog.

I was running 5' x 5' x 7' tents under 500 watts with 4 plants per tent yielding 2+ pounds per round with 4 rounds per year. Pre-veg the plants to get them ready for the upcoming first scrog layer then let em veg for a month or so then off to flowering. Once I got the clones lined up it was all a breeze. I have plenty more photos in my Albums if anyone is interested. Free feel to ask or send me a pm if one needs more details. Hope everyone is doing great.

Chemdawg tent, 2-2.5 pounds usually.

sfaa29a.jpg

Zamaldelica tent, 1.5-2 pounds usually since it's 100% Sativa.

QAmwrnb.jpg

EL1M1N80R

newb question,

ive never trained SCROG before but im very interested... so it works by letting the plant grow through a "square" on the screen and then pulling the tip down through another "square" next to it? does it need to be exactly adjacent to it? do you then kind of "sprial" it around, filling the square in a twist pattern starting the from the middle of the screen? (can u visualize what im saying? not sure lol)

It's training the plant to grow horizontally in the early stage. It exposes the lower growth to more light and = more yeild than a standard vertical growth.

Starting a ScrOG with some topping involved.

After a few weeks:

This is my first ScrOG and it was research that convinced me to grow this way. Another type of training I am intrested in is Mainlining or Manifolding but for now I'll work on a ScrOG.

Hope this helps.

EL1M1N80R

I would recommend filling up almost 100% of the screen, letting them grow vertically if you have the height and grow time. After letting them grow vertically for another 2 weeks here's a huge tip for massive yields under low watts add a second screen to your scrog.

I was running 5' x 5' x 7' tents under 500 watts with 4 plants per tent yielding 2+ pounds per round with 4 rounds per year. Pre-veg the plants to get them ready for the upcoming first scrog layer then let em veg for a month or so then off to flowering. Once I got the clones lined up it was all a breeze. I have plenty more photos in my Albums if anyone is interested. Free feel to ask or send me a pm if one needs more details. Hope everyone is doing great.

View Image

View Image

That is what I am hoping for. I filled out the net completely before flipping to 12/12.

I have a slight problem with leaves touching and wet spots on the leaves. What do you recommend for improved air circulation? It's in a tent.

And how often should I defoliate and if, I should or should not continue to remove leaves after 2 week in to flower?

EL1M1N80R

View Image

View Image

Reading your post you are doing ecactly what I have in the pipeline. You didn't happen to watch Mr Green I Grow Chronic.

Texicwaste666

So, this is my second attempt at scrog, but I still have a few questions...

I keep reading how you're supposed to train the plant under the screen until you have 50% of your screen filled, then flip over to 12/12 and in the 2 weeks stretch the plant will fill the rest of the screen.

Ok.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but after you switch to 12/12, aren't you supposed to stop training the plant under the screen, and let the shoots go up and grow a few inches above the screen during the 2 weeks stretch, and these will be your buds in the end?

So my question is: if you're supposed to let the shoots go through the screen after 12/12, this means the plant will be growing vertically, not horizontally, right? If that's the case, then how is the screen supposed to go from 50% full to 100% full? Where is all the horizontal growth coming from?

I don't actually care about filling the whole screen up, I just wanna grow properly. I've got one Female Seeds Grapefruit that has been flowering for like 3 days and it looks like there'll be around 12 bud sites, so I guess that's fine. But I want to nail this technique, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Check out my screen, it is two weeks into flower, I gave it 22 days of veg, and I have been still training. You will be pulling the stems under the net for a couple of weeks after you change the light cycle.