What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation questions

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of sativa types benefit more from topping/caning/pinching or a combination of those. Sometimes I just poke all the canes in, tie up the main branches and wrap the scrag branches around like garland on a Christmas tree.

Junk

A lot of sativa types benefit more from topping/caning/pinching or a combination of those. Sometimes I just poke all the canes in, tie up the main branches and wrap the scrag branches around like garland on a Christmas tree.

What is caning?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For the record i would still train/defoliate in a vertical system.

Vertical growing is all about efficiency, more usable light from less light sources. 2 600s are ideal, or a 1000 for tops and a 600 for lower.

Heath Robinson claims he yielded 4lbs from 8 Mr.Nice Shit strain plants in a donut around 2 600 watts lights, 1.493 grams per watt.

You place a box fan at the bottom of the lights and blow the hot air straight up away from bulbs, heat rises away quickly.

Bulbs emit light in 360 degrees and the farther the light travels or has to be reflected the weaker it becomes.

In an empty room an overhead 600w hung in the center of a room has an effective footprint of 3x3 right below it.

The same 600w hung vertically in the center of the room illuminates a 3x3 footprint on every side now instead of only on the floor.

We are talking about circular vertical grows
View Image

Plants put all their growth towards whichever side has the light.

Putting each plant the same distance from the bulbs arranged in a circle/donut allows each plant to be encased in maximum lighting from top to bottom and all through the canopy.

How do you work on the plants in a circle, if they can not be moved? I use tents so probably will not work, unless I used 2 X 600 watt bulbs. How high would you do a circle of plants with 8 foot ceiling? Saw this awhile ago, and just can't figure out how to make it work. Thanks!!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I wouldnt worry about having to move the plants to work on them, Honestly they could probably benefit from being rotated 180 degrees every 6hrs of lights on if really bushy.

Ive really only thought about trying this in open rooms where i can maneuver around them, it would probably be pretty easy for a few trees/bushes to overgrow a tent.

Plant heights will depend on strain and how you train/top the plants. Indica dominant strains would probably be preferable because they tend to stretch less.

Robney

Defoliation experts I have a question for you: I did a heavy defoliation around week 5/6 on a starkiller og growing in organic soil (aact) and it seems to have pushed my harvest back by at least 2 to 3 weeks (I would have normally harvested a week ago). I think I left enough on (pretty sure theres 2-3 leaves on each top) and just took off fans. Does defoliation normally push the the flowering window out further or did I do something wrong?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Given the performance of a car goes up as the weight goes down, why not take the engine out and make it really light?

Your leaves power your plants growth.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much do you sell leaves for?

Heavy defoliation that late will stunt growth as you have seen. Better to do the majority of work right before flip and around week 3 depending on cultivar/growth/health etc.

Working donuts isn't tricky. Work at night or unplug lights as you move through the room.

I try to spin plants once a week.

iTarzan

Mikell do you grow from seeds or clones? What strains do you grow and what are some favorites? I am just curious.

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I work under an older grower. We grow from seed and clone, mostly newer hype strains (OGKB, Cookie types) and a few Canadian staples (Nuken, God, etc).

iTarzan

The OGKB made it all the way to B.C. along with some cookies. Cool!

I have the OGKB and it is the slowest growing plant I ever had.

Did you ever smoke any Krinkle? Was it any good. I had some outdoor a few years ago and I liked it. I lost it but just got it back for another outdoor run.

Nirrity

i guess it depends on growth style. if you have a limited space and want to utilize as much light as possible then defoliating is a must. also i agree it is better done leaf by leaf, not strip the plant of all fan leaves at once. another option is just to tuck them away from blocking the light and/or occupying space between plants.
personally, i am vertical scrog believer as this way you basicaly make a "light-sail" out of a plant. moreover, the light penetrate cola-width much, much easier than cola-height. and to cream it off, inverse-square law has no serious impact here, as the light doesn't need to go all the way from the top of colas down to the bottom, plus there is a reflection surface right behind the colas.

heres what can be done with v-scrog+defoliation

Attachments

• Whole=2520box=252011=2520week=2520bloom.jpg
    Whole=2520box=252011=2520week=2520bloom.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Whole=2520view.jpg
    Whole=2520view.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubba?

Grown fairly widely but I don't see it out here. But then I don't get out much or see anyone when I do.

Haven't seen straight OGKB or 2.0, just the crosses. Gromer, Archive, etc.

G

ganjygav

I always thought it was the leaves coming from the buds that were for the buds energy making and not the leaves on the stems.
I remove a lot sometimes I feel not enough. Ive also not removed leaves and couldn't tell ya if there was any difference. I didnt notice anyway.