What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Up-potting a plant in early flower?

R

Rubber Chicken

Hello icmag-ers,

I'm wondering if up-potting an already early flowering plant would increase yield or if it's not worth the effort (too late, make no difference)?

Thanks for any experiences or opinions. :) :ying:

I have experience planting a mutant and having the smoke turn out to be a really powerful anti-collagerent (smokey).

Break some of the soil on the bottom and transfer to a potting casing or whisk
basket.

Drain water through to push out N levels from the shock and re apply nutrients on a medium-heavy basis.

If your hanging your head out the window wondering where I got this idea(s) just know I got this from experience.

R

Rubber Chicken

Thanks for the reply. :) :ying:

I'll wait for some other opinions (if any) before i try.

I was just going to take it from the pot and loosen the bottom a little and then put in the bigger pot and give plain water for the first watering.

Similar to what you mean i think?

Rastak'

+1 with Terrapin green.

No problem. ;)

But don't do it after the 15 days of blooming or it will be almost useless.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the up-pot? 5 into a 10, 12, 15?

What day in flower? Estimated total flowering time? Heavy or light drinker? Sensitive to root binding?

There are a lot of variables. It makes it easier to give as much relevant information as you can in the first post.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I few years back I tried transplanting flowering plants into larger containers. The plants were just over three weeks along and went from two gallon containers into seven gallon containers (8" dia by 7" deep to 18" dia by 9" deep).
After harvest the container and media were taken apart. The original root ball was in the center with a few individual strands poking out here and there.
No new growth and the only benefit I could come up with was it needed watered less often. Once the plant starts to flower the signal for root growth begins to diminish. Making more space available is ignored.

If you are early in flower and your pot volume is inadequate then I'd give it a go. It is much more likely to be a benefit then a disadvantage.

Latest posts

Latest posts