What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats help

Jwow530

I started to use 707 soil been veg for a month for outside still inside now I have fungus gnat my first time getting it and yesterday I went and bought microbe lift and try anyone know what I can do to kill them will they kill my plants let me know thanks

Scrappy-doo

Crumbled up mosquito dunks on top ur soil works like a charm! I use as a preventative now, never see those little fuckers anymore.

Sativan

Use MicrobeLift BMC. It works very well and it only takes 2 or 3 applications and they'll be completely wiped out. It's got 8% Bacillus instead of the 2% that Mosquito dunks have.

Make sure to follow directions.

Stan G.

Great White contains a bunch of Mycorrhiza in addition to BT which is the main ingredient in mosquito dunks. Use that and do not over water. :tiphat:

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
The biggest reason people have Fungus Gnats is because they over-water, so the answer would be to stop over-watering. When the top couple of inches gets good and dry the fungus gnats can't live there.
Several years ago I had fungus gnats come pre-loaded in Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I used the Mosquito Dunks and let the soil get pretty dry on top and after 2-4 weeks they were pretty much all gone.
BTW, I don't really think they can kill your plants....unless you have so many of them where you have a hard time breathing..............

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Use MicrobeLift BMC. It works very well and it only takes 2 or 3 applications and they'll be completely wiped out. It's got 8% Bacillus instead of the 2% that Mosquito dunks have.

Mosquito dunks are silly, microbe lift BMC is a decent option. I tried Gnatrol after my last batch of Microbe lift ran out and WOW what a difference. Scorched Earth for the Fungus Gnats. I picked it up off of Amazon. :yes:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...

Actually, the BTi is measured as "International Toxic Units" (ITU) and below is my analysis of the major products with BTi. It should be no surprise that Gnatrol is the best deal (when purchased in 16 pound buckets @ $400 each)...about $0.05 per million ITU.

The next best deal is Mosquito Bits (when purchased in 20 pound buckets @ $120 each)....about $0.07 per million ITU.

One of the worst deals Microlift BMC....just under $0.28 per million ITU.

picture.php

Notice the count of ITU/mg (Active Ingredient)...Bits & Dunks are 7000/mg, Gnatrol is 3000/mg, and Microlift is 1200/mg. Now observe the percent of "active ingredient"...yes Microlift is 8%...but 8% of 1200 ITU/mg is only 96,000 ITU/gram. Now compare that with Bits, 2.86% of 7000 ITU/mg is 200,200 ITU/gram.

Hmm, which is more...96,000/gram (Microbelift) or 200,200/gram (Bits)? Which is cheaper per million ITU...$0.0661 (Bits) or $0.2752 (Microbelift)?

gr866

Veteran
I have been using SM90 with good success, I treat weekly with a drench of Great White and SM90

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Actually, the BTi is measured as "International Toxic Units" (ITU) and below is my analysis of the major products with BTi. It should be no surprise that Gnatrol is the best deal (when purchased in 16 pound buckets @ $400 each)...about $0.05 per million ITU.

The next best deal is Mosquito Bits (when purchased in 20 pound buckets @ $120 each)....about $0.07 per million ITU.

One of the worst deals Microlift BMC....just under $0.28 per million ITU.

View Image

Notice the count of ITU/mg (Active Ingredient)...Bits & Dunks are 7000/mg, Gnatrol is 3000/mg, and Microlift is 1200/mg. Now observe the percent of "active ingredient"...yes Microlift is 8%...but 8% of 1200 ITU/mg is only 96,000 ITU/gram. Now compare that with Bits, 2.86% of 7000 ITU/mg is 200,200 ITU/gram.

Hmm, which is more...96,000/gram (Microbelift) or 200,200/gram (Bits)? Which is cheaper per million ITU...$0.0661 (Bits) or $0.2752 (Microbelift)?

I've used them all and regarding to actual real world effectiveness the dunks are a silly joke, the microbe lift works, and the gnatrol is scorched fucking fungus gnat earth. :2cents:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Mosquito dunks are silly, microbe lift BMC is a decent option. I tried Gnatrol after my last batch of Microbe lift ran out and WOW what a difference. Scorched Earth for the Fungus Gnats. I picked it up off of Amazon. :yes:

Gnatrol just works. It was developed to control gnats in greenhouses. Even heavy infestations are beaten down to nearly nothing from a single application of 1 tbsp/gal. Three applications a week apart is extremely effective. I use ~3cups of solution per 5gal pot to thoroughly wet the top of the soil.

Watering in transplants at 1 tsp/gal & doing the same with occasional ewc teas is effective prevention, as well.

I keep one of these hanging at plant level to serve as a detector. Put it somewhere you won't run into it-

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-fly-ribbon-4pk-bm510

Latest posts

Latest posts