What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flower and veg in same grow tent

emgee420

I have another (potentially stupid) newbie question - I have a grow tent that has 24h LED (full spectrum) light.

Can I keep the light on 24/7 in the one tent, keeping most plants veg, but take one plant out into the naughty dark corner for 12 hours a day, then return it to it's buddies in the tent, to flower the mother? Or, cover it with a light proof thing for 12 hours while in the tent.

Is this a stupid idea, or any reason not to do this, for micky mouse growers with just a few plants?

:peacock:

w3rds

That COULD work, but it feels like there is a ton of possible issues that could pop up depending on where you kept your flowering plant.

Not going to lie, when I was buying my first tent I thought about buying one bigger than my needs and installing a light proof wall that I could easily put up to separate the flowering plants from veg plants. In the end I decided it would be much more effort than it was worth and I just got 2 tents.

ptyred

Ideally you will want 2 tents. 2 separate environments.

I wouldnt recommend what your thinking... your girl will need alot of air circulation and less humidity. Your veg should have alot more humidity and a bit higher temp.

I vegged and flowered in my 4x4 tent, when i was about a month from harvest i popped more seeds, my lights would come on at 12pm and go off at 12am (for security purposes I know its cooler at night etc. etc. etc. )

I got a little 2 tube t5 HO lamp and had it right outside the tent. I would open the tent in the afternoon when the lights came on and close it at night when they went off, but my veg lamp outside the tent was 24/7 growing the new line up.

I would have to literally remember to open and close my tent, but I never found any issues with light leaks or any hermies etc.

=)

majorana

I imagine that's possible, but can you imagine the hassle of doing that twice daily (in, out)? And the stress in case something happens -- and things happen -- and not being able to do it for a couple of days?

I tried a similar thing with my first grows -- the idea was to have a shorter "down time" between grows -- and did so with autoflowering/ruderalis genetics. That, I can say, does work.

(I did, however, give up on that too; now growing only one round at a time. Veg and grow have different needs which ends up taking twice the time/attention, which doubled my work, and after a couple of grows I realized I'm spending too much time taking care of the plants.)

majorana

P.S.: Two more things to think about

1) In veg you want humidity to be at 50-70%, whereas in flower you want it at 30-50%. If you do veg and flower in the same space be sure to keep RH at 50% throughout.

2) When flowering is done you will need to dry your crop. Drying should be done in the dark, since strong light degrades THC. It also needs to be well ventilated (to avoid mold) and treated for odor (if you have neighbors anywhere near by). I lost half of a grow because I tried drying it in a cardboard box inside the tent. It was perforated, but it still trapped humidity inside and wasn't enough for air circulation. So now I have also a small tent with a small carbon filter for drying.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I've never done it but growing 12/12 from seed is a viable option. Google "marijuana growing 12/12". It's also called a perpetual grow. Autoflowers would work, too, on a 20/4 schedule or just leaving the lights on all the time.

My space is 4x4 & I maintain an excellent supply just growing one batch after another- 5 weeks or so of 17/7 followed by however long it takes of 12/12, then start over.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
As suggested, auto flowers are what you probably want to start with. Start 2-3 plants and in a month, when sex shows, pull the males and plant 2-3 more. The goal would be to have at least 1 female from each starting to continue on to full flower. This will produce the largest amount of cannabis with the least number of hassles (and burping). :D

Later on you can add another tent and grab some non autoflower genetics. :)

Jhhnn

Veteran
As suggested, auto flowers are what you probably want to start with. Start 2-3 plants and in a month, when sex shows, pull the males and plant 2-3 more. The goal would be to have at least 1 female from each starting to continue on to full flower. This will produce the largest amount of cannabis with the least number of hassles (and burping). :D

Later on you can add another tent and grab some non autoflower genetics. :)

I'm becoming increasingly fond of fem seeds. with regulars, I start 12, our Denver max, grow em out for a month or so, induce flowering, cull to six females. Except I don't always get 6. I've done as poorly as 3 out of 12. It's just the luck of the draw. With fems, I always get as many as I plant.

majorana

I got to talk today with a breeder. He said he's working hard on making new crossbreeds with ruderalis genetics because that's what that market wants, but that he's not really sure why. According to him also "regular" indica/sativa when grown from seed at 12/12 get the same results as autoflower seeds (i.e., about half the weight). Something to consider.

emgee420

You guys are legends and know how to think outside the box

I didn't know about the 12/12 from seed thing but that sounds simple and low maintenance so I'll give that a go with hydroponics.

I switched everyone to 12/12 now and keep an eye on them, take out the dudes, and use them to breed seeds with some females, after harvesting some buds first

cheers guys