What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transdermal patches: homemade or other

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fellow IC member needing info on experiences with DIY transdermal patches or those purchased and efficacy (how well they worked). His elder mom in need of pain relief from debilitating chronic pain/auto-immune. Thanks in advance.

There are several You Tube videos showing how to make them. Seems pretty simple/straight forward.

Can anyone relay their experiences?

Last edited:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
They work. I was a skeptic until I messed up a muscle in my back. A former motorcycle racer that ran a grow shop recommended some commercial patches from his friends company. I bought a couple. They are sort of pricey though but for a sore back they were worth it. I left it on overnight and during the next day. You are only supposed to wear them for 12 hours but I did more hours. The area of my back at the patch sort of felt cold but the pain was gone. It was a bitch peeling the patch which was sort of like a bandaid. For me it worked and I will use them again. The only drawback was the price but you should be able to make a DIY patch. I recommended them to my favorite dispensary and they bought a bunch. Some guy used one and it worked so well he came back the next day and bought all they had.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think DIY is the only option, at the moment, he being miles away from dispensaries that sell patches. I would imagine commercial ones work well. Making them might prove sufficient. Thanks for the input!

Just curious about others having used them.

PerfectDay

From Mary's Medicinals LLC Transdermal Patch Patent Application:
[00108] Preparation of transdermal patch. The cannabis essential oil containing cannabinoids was extracted from cannabis by solvent extraction (via heptane, supercritical C02, ethanol, butane, isopropyl alcohol or combinations thereof). The oil was purified under vacuum pressure and heat. After testing for cannabinoid levels, the oil was mixed with equal parts of skin permeation enhancers and carrier agents and a long chain silicone polymer in a ratio calculated to ensure accurate dosing. 10 g of THC (as tested) in cannabis essential oil was combined with the carrier composition. The carrier composition was made with 5 g of oleic acid, 4.5 g of eucalyptol, 0.5 g of dodecyl methyl sulfoxide. The resulting composition was then mixed with 114.3 g of the polymer (long chain silicone polymer). The polymer blend was sheeted at approximately 0.152 mil. The sheets were cured at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours. After drying, a foam backing layer is applied prior to cutting into product's final 2*2 inch size, with 10 mg THC per dose.
[00109] Use. The protective coating layer was removed. The adhesive side of the transdermal patch was applied to the skin in a no fatty veinous area of the body such as the inner wrist or top of foot. The therapeutic effects of pain relief were felt within 10 minutes and had duration of up to 12 hours. The area was washed with soap and water after wear. The application site was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol before application.

--The only part of the ingredients they are leaving out is the addition of Chamomile oils. My break down of their ingredients matches their patent otherwise.--

• Long Chain Silicone Polymer Blend [SSA substituted PDMS*],
  • Cannabinoid Extract [winterized],
  • (9Z)-Octadec-9-enoic acid [Oleic Acid],
  • Eucalyptol,
  • Dodecylsulfinylmethane [DMSO],
  • Water,
  • a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, 1,8-cineole, y-terpinene, caryophyllene, and propyl angelate and butyl angelate [all from Roman chamomile oil],
  • chamazulene, a-bisabolol, bisabolol oxide A, bisabolol oxide B and bisabolone oxide A [all from German chamomile oil].

*elastomeric silicone soft skin adhesive (SSA) substituted polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). This is the sticky adhesive compound they mix with the other chemicals before they spread it on the sticky backing.

The chemical agents are being suspended in a special adhesive with inherent time release properties; which means that any attempt to apply the chemical agents to something like a generic gauze bandage will result in a much quicker release of the agents and could result in nasty side effects similar to those felt when a person inhales too much cannabis at one time. Also, any contaminants that might be present in the chemical agent mixture can be transferred to your blood stream and cause major health risks so be cautious.

On a side note, Mary's started their formulations using PLO gel, but actually switched to the above listed formulation. I believe they did this because of the reduced effectiveness of PLO gel for use with high viscosity hydrophobics, like cannibinoids, as other researchers have detailed here.

ON.png

Lecithin & oleic acid are primary component of many PLO formulations, and was initially used as is shown, supported by their patent application at the time. You'll notice that they didn't fully list all the constituent parts of their formula in the first version and they choice, or were forced, to remedy this issue in future labeling. In their second formulation they switched to a DMSO type formulation with more accurate labeling, supported by their second patent application.

#### DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY FORM OF FINANCIAL TRADE WITH A DIY TRANSDERMAL PATCH USING THE ABOVE RECIPE UNLESS YOU HAVE LEGAL PERMISSION FROM MARY'S MEDICINALS LLC. ###
Although, I believe you can make them and use them for your own ailments!!!
**I am a biochemist, and NOT a lawyer, so I am only stating opinions and NOT legal advise.**

Amberlynn

Where can I purchase or what product to use as the "bandage"?

Where can I purchase or what product to use as the "bandage"?

In response to perfect day, any suggestions or ideas on where I can buy the bandage like material? I have been experimenting and trying to recreate their recipe myself because it works so well, but even the cheapest dispensary sells them at $10/patch! If you have chronic daily pain,that would me at[least 1 a day! Not affordable for us on disability. Anyone that can help me to give direction on where to buy the bandages especially, please let me know. Desperate for relief and if I can figure out, I wasnt to share w/friends in same situation. TIA

From Mary's Medicinals LLC Transdermal Patch Patent Application:
[00108] Preparation of transdermal patch. The cannabis essential oil containing cannabinoids was extracted from cannabis by solvent extraction (via heptane, supercritical C02, ethanol, butane, isopropyl alcohol or combinations thereof). The oil was purified under vacuum pressure and heat. After testing for cannabinoid levels, the oil was mixed with equal parts of skin permeation enhancers and carrier agents and a long chain silicone polymer in a ratio calculated to ensure accurate dosing. 10 g of THC (as tested) in cannabis essential oil was combined with the carrier composition. The carrier composition was made with 5 g of oleic acid, 4.5 g of eucalyptol, 0.5 g of dodecyl methyl sulfoxide. The resulting composition was then mixed with 114.3 g of the polymer (long chain silicone polymer). The polymer blend was sheeted at approximately 0.152 mil. The sheets were cured at room temperature for a minimum of 8 hours. After drying, a foam backing layer is applied prior to cutting into product's final 2*2 inch size, with 10 mg THC per dose.
[00109] Use. The protective coating layer was removed. The adhesive side of the transdermal patch was applied to the skin in a no fatty veinous area of the body such as the inner wrist or top of foot. The therapeutic effects of pain relief were felt within 10 minutes and had duration of up to 12 hours. The area was washed with soap and water after wear. The application site was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol before application.

--The only part of the ingredients they are leaving out is the addition of Chamomile oils. My break down of their ingredients matches their patent otherwise.--

• Long Chain Silicone Polymer Blend [SSA substituted PDMS*],
  • Cannabinoid Extract [winterized],
  • (9Z)-Octadec-9-enoic acid [Oleic Acid],
  • Eucalyptol,
  • Dodecylsulfinylmethane [DMSO],
  • Water,
  • a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, 1,8-cineole, y-terpinene, caryophyllene, and propyl angelate and butyl angelate [all from Roman chamomile oil],
  • chamazulene, a-bisabolol, bisabolol oxide A, bisabolol oxide B and bisabolone oxide A [all from German chamomile oil].

*elastomeric silicone soft skin adhesive (SSA) substituted polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). This is the sticky adhesive compound they mix with the other chemicals before they spread it on the sticky backing.

The chemical agents are being suspended in a special adhesive with inherent time release properties; which means that any attempt to apply the chemical agents to something like a generic gauze bandage will result in a much quicker release of the agents and could result in nasty side effects similar to those felt when a person inhales too much cannabis at one time. Also, any contaminants that might be present in the chemical agent mixture can be transferred to your blood stream and cause major health risks so be cautious.

On a side note, Mary's started their formulations using PLO gel, but actually switched to the above listed formulation. I believe they did this because of the reduced effectiveness of PLO gel for use with high viscosity hydrophobics, like cannibinoids, as other researchers have detailed here.

View Image

Lecithin & oleic acid are primary component of many PLO formulations, and was initially used as is shown, supported by their patent application at the time. You'll notice that they didn't fully list all the constituent parts of their formula in the first version and they choice, or were forced, to remedy this issue in future labeling. In their second formulation they switched to a DMSO type formulation with more accurate labeling, supported by their second patent application.

#### DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY FORM OF FINANCIAL TRADE WITH A DIY TRANSDERMAL PATCH USING THE ABOVE RECIPE UNLESS YOU HAVE LEGAL PERMISSION FROM MARY'S MEDICINALS LLC. ###
Although, I believe you can make them and use them for your own ailments!!!
**I am a biochemist, and NOT a lawyer, so I am only stating opinions and NOT legal advise.**

PerfectDay

Patch materials

Patch materials

I believe they use a special resin to embed the medicine and to attach it to the bandage.
The cheapest way I could come up with was to smeared a measured amount on those large bandages.
381370047681.jpg