What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

9 States to Vote on Legalizing Marijuana in November

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ballot measures to liberalize laws involving marijuana use will be on the ballot in nine states this November – and supporters and critics are stockpiling money for the fight ahead, The Hill reports.
Arizona, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada all will have measures on the ballot to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes. Arkansas, Florida, Montana and Missouri, will decide whether to allow doctors to prescribe marijuana for medicinal use.

"What we have now on our side is actual experience in states like Colorado and Washington," Aaron Smith, executive director of the National Cannabis Industry Association, based in Denver, tells The Hill, referring to the states where pot is legal for recreational use.
"Now voters can actually see how these programs are working in these states. Before, there were prophecies of doom and gloom."
But it will come down to money.
"There's a real question about whether the movement can really raise enough money to support the [get-out-the-vote] efforts and the ad campaigns to ensure victory," Tom Angell, the founder of Marijuana Majority. "If we do see a significant number of losses, or a big loss in an important state like California, that could seriously interrupt our momentum."
In California, seven groups supporting Proposition 64 have raised more than $8 million, according to the most recent filings with the Secretary of State's office, The Hill reports.
The measure legalizing marijuana for medical use in Florida has attracted $3.8 million in contributions, most of it from trial attorney John Morgan, The Hill reports.
On the anti-legalization side, Smart Approaches to Marijuana, a group founded by Kevin Sabet, director of the Drug Policy Institute at the University of Florida, former Rhode Island Democratic Rep. Patrick Kennedy and conservative columnist David Frum, has raised more than $2 million to oppose legalization measures in Arizona, California, Nevada, Massachusetts and Maine, The Hill reports.

And the family that founded the Publix supermarket chain in Florida has chipped in $800,000 to the campaign against medical marijuana there, The Hill reports.

"We're worried about the creation of the next Big Tobacco," Sabet tells The Hill. "It's about money. It's about Silicon Valley and Wall Street millionaires making a lot of money."
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Legalizing-Marijuana-Ballot-November/2016/08/04/id/742121/

Sforza

Veteran
"It's about money. It's about Silicon Valley and Wall Street millionaires making a lot of money."
BFD. Its about making a lot of money. It is about Silicon Valley and Wall Street millionaires getting richer.

The fucking IPhone is about Silicon Valley and Wall Street millionaires making a lot of money. The greedy bastards just want money, but to get it, they have to provide me with something that makes my life better.

Unlike the government, Silicon Valley and Wall Street can't just take my money under threat of going to jail or killing me if I resist going to jail.

If people don't like what Silicon Valley and Wall Street are selling, they don't buy it and the companies go bankrupt. If people do like what they are offering and they would rather have the product than their money, then each side in the exchange is better off, since the people want the product more than they want their money and the folks offering the product want the money more than they want the product, since they know where to get more of the product, cheap.

If the product is crap and too expensive, the black market will continue to thrive. Then the people in the black market will make money. How is that more fair?

I can't understand why some people are so worried about other people making money. If they make a shitload of money, they end up having to pay a lot of money in taxes, so that helps keep the tax rates down for the rest of us.

Somebody pissing their money away on ridiculous luxuries doesn't hurt me in any way. If a rich person is spending his or her money, somebody is making money on the deal.

If the rich person just lets their money sit in the bank, the bank loans it out to folks who need money for homes, cars, and small businesses and are able to pay it back.

If the rich person puts money into investments, it means it is being used productively in order to produce a profit and a return to the investor.

So no matter what the rich person does with his or her money, I am no worse off than if there were no rich people and I am probably better off.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis being a political subject is absolutely stupid.

Shit... politics are stupid!!!
Real men don't need leaders!

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis being a political subject is absolutely stupid.

Shit... politics are stupid!!!
Real men don't need leaders!

Cannabis being a political subject isn't up to us. Politicians made it illegal way before I was born. Way before my parents were born. It shouldn't be a political issue, but ignorant people still want to keep it illegal.

Latest posts

Latest posts