What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the minimum hours of direct sunlight needed for greenhouse growing?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Noyd

Looking good.
How many hours does the sun shine directly on them?
Looks like you have solid walls, so Sun Rise and Sun Set for the plants is what, a couple of hours on each end later and sooner?

Single digit temps here this morning.

N

noyd666

hi 2lco, yes tin shed , plastic orb sheeting roof.
yes sun all day ,blasting, we had bloody rain o/n and temp drop. 20.5c now inside. no mold at all last year, they hit the roof and cause a bit o worry at times. i think this will be the biggest white widow i'll see.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
hi 2lco, yes tin shed , plastic orb sheeting roof.
yes sun all day ,blasting, we had bloody rain o/n and temp drop. 20.5c now inside. no mold at all last year, they hit the roof and cause a bit o worry at times. i think this will be the biggest white widow i'll see.

WW? Sounds good. I've been considering what to run in the fall. WW is on my short list. Be interested to hear how it grows, finishes and smokes too. :biggrin::biggrin:

H

HerbScience

sunlight equivolancy

sunlight equivolancy

What if you get great sunlight midday for about 5hrs, is it worth installing supplemental lighting at the start and the end of the cycle(I have a roll on cover that comes off at 7am and back on at 7pm)

five hours of midday sun is something like eight hours of early morning and evening sun

Buddle

Veteran
Sundance....there are some guerilla threads on here from high altitude grows. Fast Pine did one for a couple years and he was at a high elevation too..

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Hey Oldschool; Do you run in containers, or planted directly in the ground?

If you are in the ground. How much and How often do you feed and water?

I watched a guy do some outdoor planting last summer (late plantings), he only watered once a week or so and only fed fish meal about once a week as well. The dirt was mostly gravel, the plants didn't seem to respond as well as I'd expected, however.

We're sitting at 7500' or so, in the valley. Because of my situation, I'll be under roof stilll, but curious to know what works, and how well it works. thx

vostok

Veteran
Can one grow buds with only a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning?

It seems that shaded sunlight is still pretty bright compared to a grow light.

Yes...but you won't like the results, some books say 4 hours is the minimum, I go with 6 hours, but you can cheat use cfls/hps/Mh or a crafty reflector ...lol

Thanks all for your input. I'm finding that green housing is difficult. Especially balancing enough sunlight with heat buildup. I need to install a thermostatic fan, along with my own physical commitment by more closely monitoring the windows, vents, etc. The way I see it, the more work I do with the sun, the less electricity I will need as a supplement.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Thanks all for your input. I'm finding that green housing is difficult. Especially balancing enough sunlight with heat buildup. I need to install a thermostatic fan, along with my own physical commitment by more closely monitoring the windows, vents, etc. The way I see it, the more work I do with the sun, the less electricity I will need as a supplement.
It is difficult to ignore all the free lumens. lol

I've got the roof 'open' on the shed/GH, because it's already getting into the 90s F, inside. A long way to go, and the plants are already 2' or so. I've only got 6.5-7' headroom.....

But no matter what. I'll have more this fall than I have now. I'm good with that, since the only cost is for the aquarium pump, running the air stones.