What's new

A few questions about using liquid organic fertilizers

Biologist

1. Why do they say you can't mix it up in a batch with water ahead of time? I'm basing this on the fish fertilizer labels. What is happening to the nutrients? I assume microbial action releases ammonia maybe? How long is a batch good for? Would a sealed container help? If I have to mix it fresh for my 144 plants every time that will be quite a pain. I'd love to mix it in a 275 gallon tote and be able to use it over a few weeks.

2. Is drip irrigation using things like fish emulsion impossible? I have heard it can clog obviously, but is it impossible? What if you don't use emitters and just use open tubing into each pot?

I'd love to hear from the experts here!

St. Phatty

1. Why do they say you can't mix it up in a batch with water ahead of time? I'm basing this on the fish fertilizer labels. What is happening to the nutrients? I assume microbial action releases ammonia maybe? How long is a batch good for? Would a sealed container help? If I have to mix it fresh for my 144 plants every time that will be quite a pain. I'd love to mix it in a 275 gallon tote and be able to use it over a few weeks.

2. Is drip irrigation using things like fish emulsion impossible? I have heard it can clog obviously, but is it impossible? What if you don't use emitters and just use open tubing into each pot?

I'd love to hear from the experts here!

1. Dead fish goo mixed with water. Super highly perishable.

Kinky stinky. Imagine putting a fresh fish from the market in a blender and hitting "puree". Then mixing that with water. Then letting it sit. Hubba Hubba on the Stink Meter. And the stink is often a sign of something not in balance.

2. If you want to drig irrigate a liquid that might have particles in it that will interfere with flow, I'd put a stainless metal screen somewhere in there so that the metal screen captures the little chunks that would clog up the system.

It's possible that that kind of nutrient is better off being mixed with soil so that soil bacteria can work on it.

If you mixed up a big tub of soil, live red-worms, fish emulsion etc., the run-off will have nutrient value and could be used to nourish the plants. The run-off may also have pH and PPM issues that need to be adjusted before it can be fed to the Cannabis.

If you want a tea with NPK nutrients that can sit, bat guano might be a little less perishable. Especially if you keep it in a fridge.

The big pre-mixed fish emulsion tote concept might work if it was kept in a fridge.